Taichi X370, Ryzen 1800x and 64GB RAM compatibility

Associate
I'm thinking of re-purposing my current system (Ryzen 1800x, ASRock Taichi X370 with 16GB RAM) to replace my ageing VMware ESXi server which has 32GB, and I'd like to upgrade my current system to 64GB of RAM, as 32GB is getting a bit limiting. I remember back when it launched, Ryzen was quite picky about RAM, so I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who is running 64GB RAM on a Taichi (or any X370 mobo tbh) and what RAM you are using, speeds, etc. and any advice what RAM to upgrade to.
I've had a look at the Taichi RAM QVL and it's probably a bit out of date.

Soldato
I'm thinking of re-purposing my current system (Ryzen 1800x, ASRock Taichi X370 with 16GB RAM) to replace my ageing VMware ESXi server which has 32GB, and I'd like to upgrade my current system to 64GB of RAM, as 32GB is getting a bit limiting. I remember back when it launched, Ryzen was quite picky about RAM, so I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who is running 64GB RAM on a Taichi (or any X370 mobo tbh) and what RAM you are using, speeds, etc. and any advice what RAM to upgrade to.
I've had a look at the Taichi RAM QVL and it's probably a bit out of date.

I ran 64GB on the X370 Taichi, four dual ranked DIMM's of 16GB each (Corsair DDR4 LPX 3000), the IMC really takes a beating so the best I could do was 2666MHz stable, afaik it is still working fine or I would have had a support call by now. :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for that. I've seen a Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 64GB 2666 MHz kit that is on the RAM QVL, so I may take a punt with that.
Not too bothered with pushing speed, more to get something stable that will see all 64GB with no problems.

Associate
I have 64GB of Corsair Vengeance on two X370 boards; MSI Titanium and Asrock Fatality Pro.

Except for some bling my X370 Fatality Pro is the same as the Taichi and with 3466 CV LPX i am running 3133 at the rated timings for the RAM (16, 18, 18) so that should be doable there-or-thereabouts.

While the MSI has 3733 RAM it is only stable at 3066. Neither of my CPUs are anything other than average.

The Asrock runs T-top RAM configuration while the MSI runs daisy-chain. This will be why the Asrock runs a bit faster than the MSI but it's not exactly a noticeable difference.

IF/when you do run 64GB expect to have to manually find the all the correct RAM settings as the board won't do it for you and the ryzen memory calculator come nowhere near with settings.

Associate
I am building a couple of ESXI 6.7U2 whiteboxes and using Asus Prime x370-Pro motherboards, finding these work very well with ESXI, no issues, even detects the built in nic. Just added a basic gpu adapter to give me vga out for the initial setup, then the box will stay headless. Currently using the board with a Ryzen 2700 with 32GB (2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32), XMP is on, ram running at 3000.

Got an identical 32GB on order, just wondering how it will play as part of a 64Gb setup. Anyone tried anything similar?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom