Takeaway / fast food general discussion

Caporegime
they prob serve it at that temp intentionally to avoid getting sued - like what happened with the hot coffee in USA ages ago!

Funny you mention that my cousin was in Vegas a few years back, got a cup of tea and it was luke warm at best. He told them it was cold and they whipped out one of those laser temp sensors and pointed it at the tea, then said that's as hot as they were allowed to serve it.

Presumably if anyone gets brain freeze from ice cream and sues them successfully they'll have to sell ice cream in warm liquid form. :p

Soldato
Given the way the price of things is lately I decided to try to be a bit frugal with the weekend takeout.

2x 9” pizzas
2x burger meals

£10 inc delivery from a local place (never used before) using a 2-1 offer and 50% off from ubereats.

Big mistake, was horrific. but I guess you get what you pay for :D

Sounds like one of those, Pizza/Burger/Kebab/Chip places.... id rather starve tbh.

Five guys isnt expensive its just most people think burgers should cost £2.

Don
This fella won’t stop digging will he?
He has a point though if not a little tight, there's also the issue where availability of food banks feeds demand

I live in a very deprived area and it's so difficult to distinguish between the genuinely needy and the spongers

Soldato
just need to drive the car to BK

What's the obesity like in Ireland these days?
yeseerdays Lords discussion on boris's u turn on fast food reminded us 25% of 11 year olds obese

G "A Five Guys cheeseburger weighs in at 840 calories, while a Wendy's cheeseburger has 570 calories." wendys are good in my 10 year old memory

This fella won’t stop digging will he?
so the cost of the food alone was indeed 30p/meal, last year, albeit, we don't know what their nutritional value was

Soldato

yeseerdays Lords discussion on boris's u turn on fast food reminded us 25% of 11 year olds obese

G "A Five Guys cheeseburger weighs in at 840 calories, while a Wendy's cheeseburger has 570 calories." wendys are good in my 10 year old memory

so the cost of the food alone was indeed 30p/meal, last year, albeit, we don't know what their nutritional value was

The industrial scale that 170 meals would have required would easily have cost a 10-50% more than the ingredients did to cook the meals.

If a cooker uses ~3kw and lets say it takes 30 minutes to cook something then it's not unreasonable to suggest it may cost as much as 45p to cook that meal based on a unit rate of 30p which isn't far off what most people pay during the day/evening.

Now increase that from 1 meal to 170 and your still looking at a considerable amount of money on the electricity alone. Gas will be cheaper but many people do not have access to it.

Caporegime

Did you see the pic of the food? Just pale slop, half a ton of pasta and some dodgy brown chicken gloop.

Its not food, it’s sustenance. I find it awful for someone like him to expect people to live on that crap, whiles he’s swanning about eating sirloin steaks and probably claiming them back on his expenses.

Permabanned
The MP Lee Anderson, who last week claimed last week, the poor don't cook - got a bad press. I kind of agree with him. As there's two families in social housing a few doors from me have takeaways every couple of days. As see Deliveroo and others delivering to them. Then see half eaten pizzas in their boxes tossed outside.

fez

fez

Caporegime
There is no way to have a reasoned debate on this because if anyone dares to suggest that people on benefits or those that are complaining are ******* money up the wall all hell breaks loose.

The truth is, as always, complicated. I can be fairly certain that we spend less than 90% of people in a similar situation to ourselves (2 people living together) and between us we earn well over £100k/year. I see the vast majority of people, even those who are very much poor and have no money spending it on booze and takeaways.

The argument that its too expensive to cook at home or people don't know how doesn't even hold up to the most basic of scrutiny. I would bet that you could name any food from anywhere in the world and I would be able to make an approximation of it in the UK. The only difficulty would be some of the ingredients. How would I achieve this miracle? About 30s on the internet.

I quite often make a pasta sauce from scratch which consists of onion, garlic, chilli flakes, salt, tomatoes and a tiny bit of sugar. The whole meal for 2 of us comes to a grand total of probably about £1. If we add a pack of sausages it will do us two meals and cost £4 so £1 per portion and thats with fancy sausages.

The cheapest I can feed the two of us via a takeaway is probably about £15 vs £2 for home cooked. People shouldn't be in a position where they cannot feed themselves and I think that come next winter there will be a lot of people genuinely in that position. Currently though, many people who claim poverty are simply ******* awful with their money management.

Permabanned
I was taught the basics to cook from school, my mum and grandmother. Picked up tips from other relatives, tv shows, YouTube clips etc. Most of my cooking is experimental.

Permabanned
Also people need to understand that shop own stuff is better than it was back in the 80s and 90s. Some brands - Heinz are the pits. Supermarkets' own ketchup, salad cream, soup and baked beans are much nicer.
We get customers - of the older generation, buying everything branded. We don't sell much branded meat products (Richmond, Walls and some fancy butchers brand) and produce. If these were branded, these customers will buy them too.

Back
Top Bottom