Takes a long time for my car to heat up.

Caporegime
the vast majority of cars on the road use an iron block

Do they?

BMW petrol engines since the introduction of the M52 have been an aluminium block.

BMW Diesel engines of the current generation (N47, N57), have an aluminium block.

VAG FSI engines are an aluminium block.

A lot of VAG Common-Rail TDI engines have an aluminium block (3-cylinder and 4-cylinder for sure, not certain on the V6/8/10).

Soldato
the vast majority of cars on the road use an iron block, the material used to make the block wont have an effect on the warm up time compared to ambient temp, a faulty stat, fuel used etc

I would bet the split is in the region of 50:50 and of course a iron block with higher mass is going to require more thermal energy to get it and the coolant to 80C or so.

So yes, the block will effect warm-up times.

Soldato
I would bet the split is in the region of 50:50 and of course a iron block with higher mass is going to require more thermal energy to get it and the coolant to 80C or so.

So yes, the block will effect warm-up times.

it will, but it will be negligable compared to the other things i listed

Soldato
The block drives other system parameter thoughs, mainly things like coolant capacity and due to the higher heat conductivity of aluminium you can run less coolant.

The 2003 Audi A3 TDI has a 40kg Iron block and a coolant capacity of 12L

The 2012 BMW 320D has an ally block of 25kg and a coolant capacity of 7L.

MASSIVE difference.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Really? Got a sauce?

the 1.9tdi only took 6L of coolant, which is less than the bmw one you quoted and the 1.9 is definitely iron block

The OP is talking about a 2.0 TDI, so not sure that coolant capacity of the 1.9 is strictly relevant here.

FWIW, a quick mooch around on Google brings up 7.5L for a 2.0 TDI A3 Cab (can't find estate, don't care enough to look beyond the first link)

Soldato
Crummy source i think for the coolant, I should have realised when I saw it mention quarts.

Looking on an Audi Tech doc its 8 L in the 2006 2.0 TDI A3 _ same as the 1.9. You putting 6L in a car isnt the same as a factory dry fill!

In terms of the OP then the diesel aspect is the highest concern with warmup, primarily due to the efficiency and lower temperature differential that drives the energy transfer when the diesel gas is cooler.

Back
Top Bottom