Talk Talk Fibre 150 - Looking For Reviews

Soldato
I've just been informed that Talk Talk have installed full fibre in our street and I can get Talk Talk Fibre 150 with speeds of 120-150 for £32 per month. I would go for it no worries if it weren't for the 24 month contract they want me to sign up to as I don't want to be stuck with a sub par service.

Do any of you have any experience of this service?

Actually, here's my broadband check on the line, does this mean BT & Sky can now offer the same speeds?

aWJ2YvJ.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
With that showing on the Openreach checker, then yes any ISP that supplies FTTP on Openreach's network should be able to offer you that full fibre service. So the likes of BT, Sky, EE, Zen etc should allow you to order with them. Don't forget to check Top Cashback for the best deals with cashback.

Caporegime
Have you looked at Giganet? I'm planning to use them when FTTP goes live for me, and the reviews look good.

Soldato
Despite Giganet's marketing for flexible contracts, when I start an order it says 12 month contract and wants £55 activation fee? Not very competitive imo.

Soldato
OP
Despite Giganet's marketing for flexible contracts, when I start an order it says 12 month contract and wants £55 activation fee? Not very competitive imo.
Yea, I noticed that as I was about to place an order. Talk Talk is 24 month contract and I'm really not happy with that, so Giganet still looking ok with 12 month unless I can find another supplier that doesn't charge activation fee.

Although, I think activation fees are pretty common because they'll need to run a cable through the garden and into the house.

Associate
Talktalk have a huge backhaul, there with sky/bt so bandwidth/latency should not be a problem. The only part of talktalk which makes me nervous is the actual provisioning. It would still be Openreach's fibre and ONT. A colleague at work recently switch over to Airband, install went fine etc but the service is not great, high latency and some services are inaccessible at busy times.

Soldato
OP
The best looking deal is Giganet with 300Mb/s for £35 on a 12 month contract (150Mb/s "guaranteed")

The rest all want 24 month contracts which I think is just a massive gamble if the service turns out to be ropey. The big companies like Sky etc also want £50+ / month for proper speeds (>100 Mb/s guaranteed).

I could chance a cancellation offer from BT and try to get Full Fibre 500 for as close as I can get to £35 that Giganet are offering.

Caporegime
If the service is ropey then the contract duration is sort of irrelevant, you raise complaints in the usual way and if they won't let you exit the contract you raise it to their ADR provider who will rule in your favour if your complaints are well founded.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I think is just a massive gamble if the service turns out to be ropey.

I don't think it's much of a gamble. TalkTalk's network is great and FTTP is very reliable. The downside is customer service. It's best to use TalkTalk's live chat instead of telephone support, should you require it.

Soldato
OP
I don't think it's much of a gamble. TalkTalk's network is great and FTTP is very reliable. The downside is customer service. It's best to use TalkTalk's live chat instead of telephone support, should you require it.
Thanks for the feedback.

Talk Talk are doing Fibre 500 for £39 which I'm happy enough with if they have a reliable network. I'll be using my own router etc. so as long as the connection has reliable uptime then I wouldn't have any reason to contact them.

I've cancelled BT today, so I'll get a decision made soon on who to go for, and your comments are very helpful so thanks again. :)

Reactions: KIA
Caporegime
I would have no issues going with TalkTalk, but they don't do IPv6 and I am increasingly needing that for various bits of my job.

Mobster
Soldato
Frankly I think you'll be fine. On FTTP it either works or it doesn't. If you have a problem which is unlikely it will be the same engineer. On FTTP I think the advantage of a premium ISP disappears, just go for the cheapest.

As it happens, I think TalkTalk's network is very good. I've had no issues on FTTC.

Soldato
OP
I'd rather not create lots of threads, so will ask here...

I'm going to run some network cable around the house and am wondering what the minimum standard I should aim for if I want the 500Mb/s at every wired device?

Cat 5e?
Cat 6?

Soldato
I just finished my TalkTalk 24m contract for 500Mb. They have been quite good IMO. No bad latency issues and as long as you don't have many billing issues or other problem areas they aren't great in you'll be okay.

I didn't have any billing issues over the 24m of my contract. Slight annoyance is that I've given my 30 days notice and haven't been given a cancellation email so I don't know if they've accepted my instruction.

FYI I never used their router as the modem supplied (the white OpenReach one) has an ethernet port you can plug into the WAN port of any router to distribute the internet to your devices.

Soldato
Slight annoyance is that I've given my 30 days notice and haven't been given a cancellation email so I don't know if they've accepted my instruction.
Any reason for the cancellation then, you switching to a different ISP, better pricing etc? - or is the reason is unrelated?

Back
Top Bottom