Talk Talk Fibre 150 - Looking For Reviews

Soldato
Any reason for the cancellation then, you switching to a different ISP, better pricing etc? - or is the reason is unrelated?
Switching to a different ISP. I was on TalkTalk 500 Fibre only, so no phone line (I had moved the home landline to a VoIP service for £5 a month).

Community Fibre became available and I got the 1Gb offer for £20 a month for 24 months. Didn't really need it but it was the cheapest price as the 300Mb package they had wasn't being sold. The main bonus is the 1:1 ratio between download and upload.

I was paying £39.95 per month for the TalkTalk 500 with a discount of £5/month for the duration of the contract.

I had a thinkbroadband quality graph and overall TalkTalk was quite good with the graph and low latencies (min, max and average were quite tight on the graph which is what you want).

I think the only negative I can say is compared to BT (who I had Fibre with before), I never had any outage due to maintenance with BT, but over my 24m contract I'd have the internet off for an hour at 1AM-2AM during a maintenance scheduled by TalkTalk about 2-3 times (so not much but something to note).

I guess it makes sense not to do it in the day, but I happened to notice it when being online late.

Soldato
Community Fibre became available
Ah right that all makes sense, yeah would also take CommunityFibre over anything else aswell if I were in your place.
You will probably be enjoying that 1ms ping, as that seems to be what most of London on CF is at.

I never had any outage due to maintenance with BT, but over my 24m contract I'd have the internet off for an hour at 1AM-2AM during a maintenance scheduled by TalkTalk about 2-3 times (so not much but something to note).
Same for me on Vodafone (on CityFibre), maybe 3-4 times over the past 30months, and also usually around 1-2AM. But only goes down for 1min or less for me & very rare just like yours.

Soldato
Ah right that all makes sense, yeah would also take CommunityFibre over anything else aswell if I were in your place.
You will probably be enjoying that 1ms ping, as that seems to be what most of London on CF is at.

Same for me on Vodafone (on CityFibre), maybe 3-4 times over the past 30months, and also usually around 1-2AM. But only goes down for 1min or less for me & very rare just like yours.
Yes, I used to get 1-2ms ping on BT Fibre and TalkTalk too. I haven't had ping issues the past years since switching to fibre :)

Saying that I did switch to VM and whilst I wasn't playing games, the increase latency wasn't as noticable whilst browsing, so it was worthwhile when I had a deal with them. Obviously it depends on the congestion in your area which is a problem unique to VM from what I have read.

Ah, so some ISPs have that. I don't mind it tbh, it's just a slight difference I noted. I'm fine with it compared to BT as the prices were better really.

Basically I've got VM, OpenReach and CommunityFibre infrastructure available so it doesn't tie me in to any one ISP, which is what everyone should do to allow them to switch. Anyway don't want to derail OPs thread, but I'm following as I'm also running ethernet as the 1GB upgrade has made me want to get properly networked, especially with WiFi access points instead of mesh systems without PoE.

Soldato
The only issue with - residential - TT is that if you have a routing issue, then good luck trying to find anyone who will acknowledge it, let alone deal with it. Beyond that, as long as you don't need to actually deal with them for CS/billing/faults, you'll be fine (same is true of most ISP's).

Soldato
OP
Could anyone confirm what hardware gets installed with Talk Talk - they're asking me to have 4 power sockets available, WTF!!?

Your Future Fibre equipment will need to be plugged in, so you'll need 4 power sockets close to where you'd like it to be installed

Soldato
An OpenReach modem to turn the fibre cable into Ethernet, which takes 1 power socket, and the router which takes another. So only 2 sockets really.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
I suspected as much, thanks for confirming.
It shouldn't be too different if it's CityFibre or that other type of Fibre they offer in different parts of the country. It seems to be the same pattern where you have either a Modem/Router combo like Virgin Media (which isn't the best), or you have a modem, which plugs into a separate router via the ethernet wan port so you run 2 devices for the internet.

Soldato
Usually people pick TT because they can't afford anything better, if you can, look elsewhere, perhaps Zen.
Or because they don't get any value in paying more. My TT experience has been fine and worth it, Zen wouldn't offer anything more to me for their £20 more a month price on top of the 500Mb package so unless you need what they offer (Better CS but saying that TT was alright, depends on what you expect, Static IP or something) the cheaper providers give an adequate service.

Reactions: KIA
Caporegime
Please read the thread on Thinkbroadband about how Zen have ballsed up backhaul migrations, denied the existence of any larger problem for weeks and then left people with a broken service for a month+ while they try and figure out what is going on.

There's nothing wrong with the TalkTalk network.

Associate
I have heard rumours that Zen is not the Zen of old any more, another option is IDNet or Uno, one thing besides the poor customer service with TT that concerns me is the data leaks that seem to happen every now and then.

Soldato
Really? :rolleyes:

Perhaps it’s that we don’t want to spend 30% more for the same product with ‘better’ support that is rarely needed or used.

Depends. I went for Zen after Talktalk accidentally cancelled my service ( took two weeks to reconnect it ) and then lost all my personal data to hackers, which started an endless stream of phishing calls until I was forced to change my telephone number. It is a lot to pay but it is very reassuring that if you need help then it is there. Zen will always try to help you, even if they don't know the equipment you are using. Talktalk would just tell me that my equipment wasn't supported and hang up. I was even told by Talktalk once that they would not diagnose the problem with my broadband unless I gave them my mobile number. I mean seriously, they can be really bad.

Soldato
I have heard rumours that Zen is not the Zen of old any more, another option is IDNet or Uno, one thing besides the poor customer service with TT that concerns me is the data leaks that seem to happen every now and then.

The problem with Zen imo is that they are starting to get in to trying to raise more cash and are doing some really strange things to do it. Also their low tier products are disproportionately expensive.

Soldato
Zen are great.

But I agree when talking FTTP fibre their low tiers are expensive.

I been a Zen customer since 2008, they do me deals now as I been with them so long, the Fritzbox router I have now they sent me for free when my old one was playing up, and my FTTP 500 is about £15 cheaper a month than listed.

Can't fault them.

From what I hear though other providers are getting better, 15 odd years ago the service most internet providers have was atrocious, and Zen stood out by a mile, it seems the cheaper providers have to some extent bridged the gap, I still wouldn't trust any though.

Back
Top Bottom