Talk to me about the Canary Islands

Soldato
Well following on from my other thread about a city break in March, we're both having a tough time at work and might be tempted to get some sunshine and relax - rather than doing a hectic city break. Girlfriend doesn't want to do long-haul unfortunately so we're looking at the Canary Islands or similar.

The thing is, in my head the Canary Islands are your typical 'Brits-abroad' destination*. I'm tempted for sunshine but we generally go on holiday for the culture and food. When we get bored of the sunshine in 2-3 days will we be stuck nothing to do but eat touristy tapas and drink cheap beer?

*Can open, worms everywhere. In my defence I said "in my head" because that's just what I imagine having never been.

Associate
Fuerteventura is my favourite. Relaxed, small and has lots of people there for the windsurfing etc.

Lanzarote is the chavviest, Gran Canaria and Tenerife have chavvy areas but also some nice quiet luxury resorts.

Take a look at Sardinia, Majorca or Cyprus too. Plenty of sun, culture and food there

Soldato
Unfortunately that's pretty much what the Canary Islands have turned into - blame cheap flights and budget hotels!

If you really are after culture/food then you probably need to swerve any of the Spanish islands. Mainland Spain (minus the beach resorts) would probably be good, but you're back at your "hectic city break" category then.

Soldato
OP
Fuerteventura is my favourite. Relaxed, small and has lots of people there for the windsurfing etc.

Lanzarote is the chavviest, Gran Canaria and Tenerife have chavvy areas but also some nice quiet luxury resorts.

Take a look at Sardinia, Majorca or Cyprus too. Plenty of sun, culture and food there
You can get some good deals for Cyprus but it's not really a place I've considered before... I'm not entirely convinced.

Do you like your partner? Most places have food and culture, also sunshine.

What does your partner want to do? (let's pretend you've asked)
I actually don't understand this post :confused:

Nor this :confused:

Soldato
Never again....

Biai di Conti in Sardinia (not far from Alghero). Water may be freezing this time of year as it was a shriveller at the end of May when I went if you know what I mean.

Greek Islands...

Associate
Have you considered La Palma - the Western most Canary Island.

I went there last year with the wife and kids - the island is a lot less built up than the others and the choice of accommodation is limited due to this.

But, if you hire a car after getting bored of the sunshine the island is a stunning place to drive around, if that's your bag. The island apparently has a number of active volcanoes, thus the scenery is very green and foresty compared to the other islands, but there is always the thinly veiled threat of an eruption.

Soldato
I went to Tenerife a few weeks ago. It was around 20-24 degrees at that time (at sea level).
It was a cycling holiday so I got to see quite a bit of the island. I've been to Fuertaventura and Lanzarote before as well and they are all similar: the coastal resorts are very touristy but if you go inland a bit you can find proper local food.

It's possible to find good food in the touristy places too, but can be hit-or-miss sometimes. Reading lots of TripAdvisor reviews is the best way to do it. A lot of places get good ratings because the type of people who visit those resorts want crap english food and will give anything 5 stars if they have pie, beans and chips or full english breakfasts on the menu. Don't just go to the top rated restaurants, you need to read into the reviews and look at the pictures of the food.

Soldato
The islands are named after dogs. The birds are named after the islands. Canary Wharf in London is named after the islands, hence "the Isle of Dogs".

Lanzarote can be quite chavvy, but equally it can be quite nice, it just depends where you go. Not huge things to do but there are a few things (green caves and the volcano off the top of my head).

Fuerteventura has a lot of nudist beaches.

Caporegime
Off to Gran Canaria for 4 nights in March, never been but a quick look at the Tripadvisor forums told me to avoid Maspalomas/Playa De Inglés...We're staying around Puerto Rico. Have hired a car for £50 so we can go where we want.

Been to Fuerteventura once, it was decent enough but we had a car and felt like we'd seen everything it had to offer in a week.

Tenerife - depends where you go. Playa de las Americas is tourist hell....loads of old people on mobility scooters eating roast dinners.

Portugal is nice, the Amalfi Coast - I recommend that. We went three times in 18 months.

Associate
Tenerife is great this time of year for a winter break. If you don't like chavvy, there are plenty of places to visit - just stay away from the big sea-side resorts.

My main recommendation is hiring a car (Autoreisen are good). The islands can have quite severe micro-climates due to the mountainous terrain stirring up the air. Just check the weather each morning and you'll find which way to go (usually into wind - South or West i think). Driving up the mountain and taking some visits to the inland or smaller coastal villages is beautiful. I think a VW Polo only costs around ~70Eur per week and fuel is also only 1Eur/litre.

Soldato
Puerto De La Cruz is nice in Tenerife. Not too touristy as it's on the north of the island which most package holidaymakers seem to forget exists.

Gran Canaria is really nice if you're into cycling or walking. We stayed in Peurto Mogan and again, wasn't too bad. Maspalomas though is 'Brits abroad' hell.

Soldato
My main recommendation is hiring a car (Autoreisen are good). The islands can have quite severe micro-climates due to the mountainous terrain stirring up the air. Just check the weather each morning and you'll find which way to go (usually into wind - South or West i think). Driving up the mountain and taking some visits to the inland or smaller coastal villages is beautiful. I think a VW Polo only costs around ~70Eur per week and fuel is also only 1Eur/litre.

Seconding this suggestion. All the islands are really diverse if you get away from the purpose built resorts and they have superb roads.

Soldato
Have been to the Canary Islands two years running in February... how life changes when you have a baby! I’d much rather be skiing, but that’s another few years away just yet!

If you want winter sun without long haul travel and European infrastructure, the Canary Islands are ideal. Choose your accommodation carefully and you’ll be fine. The islands have got some interesting scenery. If you go in school holidays or peak season I’d expect a very different vibe.

We stayed in Meloneras in Gran Canaria. That was reasonably pleasant. We stayed near Papagayo beach in Lanzarote and it was surprisingly pleasant.

For guaranteed heat at that time of year and adventure you’d be better heading to Morocco, but it’s not as developed.

Associate
My Googling about the islands led me straight there actually. Whereabouts did you go?

Thanks for all the ideas everyone...

We stayed in the South of the island in an all inclusive resort called Teneguia Princess, think it's the only one on the island, and it's in the middle of nowhere surrounded by banana plantations, so not good if want to be able to walk out anywhere- but with two young children we were more than happy.

We had a car for a week while there so we had a good trek around in the daytime. I also drove out one night to an observatory point to do some stargazing (the island is a unesco dark zone so loads better than UK), but i'm a bit of a space nerd so enjoyed it.

Soldato
Madeira and La Palma are nice

Gran Canaria I thought was just okay has some nice beaches though

Tenerife & Lanzarote are meh (apart from El Teid on Tenerife)

Never went to Fuertaventura

If you want a Canary Island experience without going there, try the Azores :)

Back
Top Bottom