Tamron 17-50 vc vs non vc (again, sorry :( )

Soldato
Been borrowing a friends up to now whenever I needed it, it's a non vc version and he's got a good copy it seems because it's sharp as anything. Looking to buy my own and notice the vc version is basically the same price.

So that question again - is it worth it? It seems that opinion is split evywhere 50/50 , some say it's terrible and stay with the non vc, others say is just as good and the vc is a bonus.

Wondering the good people on here have to say about it :) hoping to buy today hopefully. Thanks

Soldato
If you get a good copy the non-vc is better, you don't really notice the lack of vc with the f/2.8 anyway (or at least I never have). I'd post examples but you've probably seen what it can do anyway.

Soldato
OP
Never mind . Jessops have sold out of the lens at all stores within 35 miles of me lol. Shame the lens has qc issues meaning I can't buy online ( or well I could but it's too much aggro)

-edit-
Left field option. Hows the new Sigma? (17-50) Much more expensive, but it could be worth it if the quality is the same since usually Sigma lenses have better/quiet AF.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just buy it online and if its not to your standard, return it?

Probably cheaper online anyway.

Thats a real pain in the behind, i've seen stories of people going through 4+ different copies before getting one without issues lately. I could do without playing those games for a month++

Also tempted by an offer of a used (heavily used, but only cosmetic wear) Nikon 17-55 f2.8 for £700 but again its price vs performance vs the need to keep my nuts intact when the other half sees the bill heh

Soldato
given the amount of tamron lenses sold (ie a lot) the problems are relatively small. you should always take online complaints with a pinch of salt as they are always in the minority.

and if you have an issue just return it, most online stores offer free returns anyway.

and if your buying from Jessops with their 30% markups it is going to be cheaper returning a lens by post 10 times before it even costs as much.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you get one second hand you're more likely to get a good copy as the first owner's already been through the process of getting a good one.

The non-VC has considerably better IQ than the VC model.

Soldato
To put a good story out there:

I ordered one through One Stop Digital and it was fine, no issues at all. A family member has bought one through Warehouse express and it was fine. A friend has bought one in Jessops and is very happy with it.

I think you will be fine as they do ship a lot of these lens so im just hoping its the popularity of the lens pulling it down abit.

Soldato
OP
Positive story, woo ;) thanks!

Last question, i see on Digrev that they have both:
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI LD ASP
and
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASP

this lens isn't one of those odd ones where the older versions superior is it?

Caporegime
To put a good story out there:

I ordered one through One Stop Digital and it was fine, no issues at all. A family member has bought one through Warehouse express and it was fine. A friend has bought one in Jessops and is very happy with it.

I think you will be fine as they do ship a lot of these lens so im just hoping its the popularity of the lens pulling it down abit.

To put a bad story out there, I got one NON VC and it was not sharp it was softer than my canon kit lens by far and the bottom left hand corner was VERY soft almost as if it was blurred by movement. It was also not usable at 2.8 and very bad in low light

Not happy, sent it back for replacement

Soldato
OP
Maybe i should just try to convince (read: Bribe with lots of alcohol) my mate to sell me his :p

Surely you should have your replacement by now? iirc you sent it off a while ago?

Caporegime
To put another story out there I tried 2 and both were paper weights. I tried a friend's as well and although OK it wasn't really acceptable for my standards but most people might have found it good enough- however the problem here was more likely a focus calibration issue and could be fixed on high end bodies but not a D90. The problems on the first 2 copies was a mis-aligned element and there was no way to fix that, the problems occurs at all focal lengths even when manually focusing in brackets.

Returning the 2nd copy took a lot of convincing and threatening, which was a royal PITA since it was a Swiss german company. Took my German GF with swiss french (who didn't speak good German) lawyer friend a 90 minute phone call stating distance selling acts ad infinitum to get a refund.

I think a problem with the old non-VC version is that the only lenses left in stock are the ones that customers returned.

However, I am a firm believer that if you get a good copy the lens is very good for the money.

But that was definitely the last Non-Nikon lens I will buy except if it is German!

Caporegime
Positive story, woo ;) thanks!

Last question, i see on Digrev that they have both:
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI LD ASP
and
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASP

this lens isn't one of those odd ones where the older versions superior is it?

I am not sure but I know there was a version that didn't have a AF motor, it was a screwdrive lens. If you have a suitable camera then the older version of preferred because it will focus faster, especially with higher end bodies.

Soldato
OP
=/ i must admit i thought that might be the case too (re: Only dodgy stock left).
Its a massive shame the VC version is crud =/ damn you Tamron!

olv

olv

Soldato
Same dilemma here. I've sold off most of my lenses over the past couple of years and now I'm just left with a 50mm and need something cheap to fill in for general stuff.

The quality control of the Tamron is a big concern. Don't fancy forking out for the Canon 17-55mm though. Not sure what the alternative is though?

olv

olv

Soldato
Just ordered one for £265. Went for ease of return over HK import. Hopefully it's good, otherwise it'll just go back.

Back
Top Bottom