Tannoy Mercury F1 CUSTOM - Good?

Associate
Haven't got them but i've heard a lot of good things about them, highly recommended in budget setups. Always remember to check for second hand gear though as now everyone just wants an ipod or micro system there are some real bargains to be had.

Associate
Ive got a set running off a NAD C325BEE amp, best buy i have ever bought. Gives loads of bass for the size of speakers. Loads of friends have said wow i want a pair. I got mine 2nd hand off ebay hardly been used

Soldato
I've had a pair for a few days now, paired with a cambridge a5 amp and beresford caiman 7520 dac with a wd media player with FLAC files as the source - the sound is incredible IMO! The whole setup has cost me less than £500 and the sound is incredibly clear and detailed, the speakers are very impressive for their size and I got them for £60 second hand!

Soldato
As a brand, Tannoy are great, I have yet to hear a bad bit of kit from them. £80 sounds like a nice price.

I haven't heard the F1's however, does anyone know how well they hit 40Hz? I don't need loads of DB's, but I need to hear 40.

Also, how well will they work with lower powered amps? I'm tempted to try some with a TA2020 based amp...

Soldato
Just bought a pair today, I'll let you know how they sound.

EDIT: They sound great, not that I have much comparable. My last speakers were PC speakers.

Last edited:
Associate
Got a Hlly TA2020 coming and also looking to pick up some F1's to go with it, want to see the difference between this setup and my aego's,

hopefully i will be blown away :)

Soldato
As a brand, Tannoy are great, I have yet to hear a bad bit of kit from them. £80 sounds like a nice price.

I haven't heard the F1's however, does anyone know how well they hit 40Hz? I don't need loads of DB's, but I need to hear 40.

Also, how well will they work with lower powered amps? I'm tempted to try some with a TA2020 based amp...

If they have a flat response down to 40hz then I will eat my speaker stands :D

Soldato
^ Haha, I doubt they'll be flat to 40, but it would be nice if they could hit 40Hz even with a little EQ... It doesn't have to be at earsplitting volume as I'll be sat pretty close to them! :)
Got a Hlly TA2020 coming and also looking to pick up some F1's to go with it, want to see the difference between this setup and my aego's,

hopefully i will be blown away :)
The aego's will still have more bass I imagine, but the Tannoy & TA2020 combo should in theory sound more detailed, and nicer overall. :)

Back
Top Bottom