Tattoo - Accurate translations

Soldato
Try approaching a University lecturer, doctor, lawyer or some historian.
Hahahah! Because?

If you'd specified a Latin lecturer, or someone with a doctorate in Latin, then maybe. But just anyone from those professions? You do realise that whilst Latin phrases and words play a part in certain aspects of medicine and law, they're just learned set words and phrases, with no requirement to understand the underpinnings of their construction?

Soldato
Hahahah! Because?

If you'd specified a Latin lecturer, or someone with a doctorate in Latin, then maybe. But just anyone from those professions? You do realise that whilst Latin phrases and words play a part in certain aspects of medicine and law, they're just learned set words and phrases, with no requirement to understand the underpinnings of their construction?

When I was at university, one of the lecturers was fluent in Latin and offered free Latin lessons to anyone who wanted to learn. It was great, it was more like a social club where we played cards, chess, dominoes etc. and imbibed copious amounts of alcohol whilst attempting to learn a language.

Soldato
When I was at university, one of the lecturers was fluent in Latin and offered free Latin lessons to anyone who wanted to learn. It was great, it was more like a social club where we played cards, chess, dominoes etc. and imbibed copious amounts of alcohol whilst attempting to learn a language.
That sounds brilliant

Soldato
DFQw48a
Biggus Dickuss?
DFQw48a.jpg
DFQw48a.jpg

He has a wife you know....

Soldato
Hi All,

I'm looking to get some basic text translated from English to Latin for a tattoo. so looking advise on the best way to get a 100% accurate translation.

The 2 pieces of text to be translated are

Dying to Live
Living to Die

Cheers

You won't get a 100% perfect translation, as you'll miss the intention/meaning of the phrase as there is no equivalent Latin motto.

If you want a Latin motto, use a Latin motto - don't use some stupid YOLO meaningless spermlolly one like you want translated.

vive ut vivas seems reasonable for what I assume you are intending your motto to mean - lit. "live so that you may live", could also mean "live life to the fullest".

Caporegime
Hi All,

I'm looking to get some basic text translated from English to Latin for a tattoo. so looking advise on the best way to get a 100% accurate translation.

Dying to Live
Living to Die

Cheers

Why do you care if it's accurate (it will not be accurate) if the only people who can understand it are Latin nerds? That's some pretty deep-dive trolling you're going for.

Man of Honour
me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

is all the Latin I can remember

Cerberus est canis.

Quite a few people my age will remember that.

As for the OP, my advice is "don't". If you want to have some text tattooed onto you, do it in a language you understand. That way you'll know what it means. Despite the old saying, writing something in Latin doesn't really automatically make it more important. Also, is the sentiment you wish to express something that would fit ancient Roman culture? If not, why write it in Latin?

A tattoo of some writing? Classy.

As far as I can tell, the done thing is to insist on the use of an excessively decorative script so that the resulting tattoo is at best barely legible anyway. That seems to be the custom.

Soldato
Hi All,

Dying to Live
Living to Die

Cheers

Why not have it in a modern language that will allow you to express the intention properly with your desired simplicity something like ooooh ENGLISH!

Caporegime
This wont translate properly. "Dying to live" would need to be translated into something like "Desperate to live"

As such just put any old Chinese rubbish on their and your transition to chav will be complete.

Back
Top Bottom