Tax.... what is everyone’s problem with it?

Soldato
Well in many cases it isn't working. I'm far from the only person who has ever said that.

Honestly you guys seem to be entirely unaware of any other perspectives than your own. Do you not ever challenge the established way things work? Do you not think, "Man this aspect of our world really sucks. I wonder if others have the same opinion?"

I do all the time. And whilst I never actually think of a way to solve these problems, I do know that many of the things I consider to be bad about this world, most of the time there are much smarter people and much more experienced people than me expressing the same views.

I think the difference between me and others is that I'm much less accepting of the status quo, and won't defend something that I don't like just because it's "the way things are."

A lot of you guys do nothing but defend the status quo. Why is that? You think we've made the perfect world and can't do any better?

You're right, I think we're different people. I try to make the best of the situation and structure that we find ourselves in - with the priority on providing for my family rather than changing the world.

Complaining about existing structures without any ideas or power to fix them seems like a waste of energy to me. I'd rather just be the best at the game we're in.

Just depends what your priorities in life are.

Caporegime
A perfect solution? No. A solution? Yes.
Where did anyone ask for a perfect solution?
Really? So you have a problem with a person expressing the viewpoint that something is problematic unless they have a ready-made solution to that problem.

OK it doesn't have to be perfect but I can't complain about anything unless I am able to come up with a solution that @dowie thinks will work.

LOL, you guys.

Caporegime
Well it helps if it is at least somewhat grounded in reality. Otherwise let’s go with my give everyone 2 million idea... what could possible go wrong eh?

Caporegime
You're right, I think we're different people. I try to make the best of the situation and structure that we find ourselves in - with the priority on providing for my family rather than changing the world.

Complaining about existing structures without any ideas or power to fix them seems like a waste of energy to me. I'd rather just be the best at the game we're in.

Just depends what your priorities in life are.
Well do you expect anything to change for the better if people like yourself immediately jump down the throat of anyone who thinks there are problems?

It's useful to discuss problems even if you don't have solutions, btw. Just having a discussion can be beneficial and positive.

Demanding that all discussion has to involve solutions that will work is a bit unnecessary.

Soldato
Well do you expect anything to change for the better if people like yourself immediately jump down the throat of anyone who thinks there are problems?

It's useful to discuss problems even if you don't have solutions, btw. Just having a discussion can be beneficial and positive.

Demanding that all discussion has to involve solutions that will work is a bit unnecessary.
Jumping down the throat? Where has anyone done that?

We've simply asked you (politely) for some ideas given that you seem opposed to something. Surely if you feel so passionately about it, you'd at least have some high level ideas as to how to make it better. I'm open to a discussion, but only with someone that has really thought about it.

Caporegime
Well it helps if it is at least somewhat grounded in reality. Otherwise let’s go with my give everyone 2 million idea... what could possible go wrong eh?
Take a look at yourself, @dowie. Instead of taking a couple mins to think, "I wonder if he is completely on his own and bat*** crazy, or if, like he said, there are published articles on the 'net with similar ideas," no, it was much more important for you to keep posting nonsense to win some stupid internet argument.

I wonder what you'd find if you actually looked. But you won't. The idea is not important. The only important thing is increasing your post count.

Caporegime
Jumping down the throat? Where has anyone done that?

We've simply asked you (politely) for some ideas given that you seem opposed to something. Surely if you feel so passionately about it, you'd at least have some high level ideas as to how to make it better.
I'm opposed to a great many things that I have absolutely no idea how to fix.

Normally a lot of them have their root causes in human nature - e.g. greed.

I'm not sure if such things are solvable.

I'm open to a discussion, but only with someone that has really thought about it.
Does that apply to every topic of conversation?

Caporegime
I'm not the one posting nonsense here and I'm generally happy to clarify the points I make.
I guess you haven't bothered looking yet even for one second. Nope, didn't think you would.

Like I said, the idea isn't important to you. The only thing that matters to you is the argument.

Caporegime
I guess you haven't bothered looking yet even for one second. Nope, didn't think you would.

Like I said, the idea isn't important to you. The only thing that matters to you is the argument.

Eh? I literally asked you to clarify what you were proposing... now I'm supposed to have gone off on my own and googled some non-specific thing?

Caporegime
@FoxEye could you answer my question please:
Sorry and yes I will.

My position on most things is based on things I've read on the internet. Plus whatever personal experience I can muster.

The current topic isn't some radical nonsense idea that only a few crackpot crazies have adopted - far from it.

Numerous articles have been published discussing the pitfalls of pandering to shareholders, and how many businesses have lost sight of their products and their customers in thrall to their shareholders.

Frankly the reaction has been what I'd have expected were I claiming the moon was made of cranberry sauce.

Caporegime
Eh? I literally asked you to clarify what you were proposing... now I'm supposed to have gone off on my own and googled some non-specific thing?
Why do you always do this? Fifty posts after I said I wasn't proposing a solution you keep asking what my solution/proposal is... again this is just you padding out your post-count. I don't even know why you do it? Let me make this clear again: I'm not saying I have a solution. I don't have a proposal. I just commented on something that seems to have become a problem. How bad is the problem? Well lots of people are talking about it and taking it seriously. What's the solution? I don't know.

You might as well ask me what is the solution to climate change. Sorry I don't have one. Does that mean I can't say climate change is a problem?

Soldato
Sorry and yes I will.

My position on most things is based on things I've read on the internet. Plus whatever personal experience I can muster.

The current topic isn't some radical nonsense idea that only a few crackpot crazies have adopted - far from it.

Numerous articles have been published discussing the pitfalls of pandering to shareholders, and how many businesses have lost sight of their products and their customers in thrall to their shareholders.

Frankly the reaction has been what I'd have expected were I claiming the moon was made of cranberry sauce.

That doesn't really answer the question. For example, do you mean companies are being driven to ignore other stakeholders in order to inflate dividends and provide an increased return for shareholders? Or that balance sheets are being massaged to improve share values? If you do then I don't think the shareholders are the issue here, and that the solution doesn't lie with getting rid of shareholders.

Caporegime

Some companies pandering to shareholders leads to the conclusion of the whole concept of shareholders having its day.... it's a bit of a jump and did immediately raise some obvious questions... then it turned out that there wasn't anything of substance behind it.

To be honest, I wonder if the concept of shareholders has had its day.
[...]

I'm genuinely concerned that the very concept of shareholders is actually ruining the future. They seem to function much like a cancerous tumour on a business.

Back
Top Bottom