Taxing a used car

Underboss
Just since we're on the subject of taxing cars.

With the new rules in place. I know there's the premium for cars over £40k for the first 5 years. Does this just apply to the first owner or is it passed down the chain?

I know it's a fairly insignificant amount of money when spending that kind of cash but i was curious when looking recently.

it is passed down, so if you bought a car say 2 years old, YOU will need to still pay the more tax on the vehicle, until the car gets over 5 years old as its the cars age it sticks to

Soldato
Why would a car need tax to insure it? How do you plan on driving an untaxed car to an MOT station? It's the other way around, a car must be insured if it has tax.

What I was trying to say is that if you send off the V5 for new registered keeper, you can't tax the car until you receive the new form back, so if you've already sorted insurance, it would be invalidated in a crash/collision etc

That's what I was told by the DVLA and by my insurance company

Soldato
you have the log book, so you can tax it

That's what I'm saying - once they issue the new V5 form, you can't tax the car without receiving it. If you try, you get an error on their website saying that a new V5 has been issued, and to use the number on there, which of course you can't do if you haven't received it yet.

Made this very mistake a few weeks ago - got a new car delivered to me, sent off the V5, tried to tax a couple of days later, and couldn't because I had to wait for the new V5 to arrive

Soldato
Aslong as you have the number off the new keeper slip you can quickly do it online or over the phone - most dealers will also happily do it for you (usually at your expense but some might include it in a deal) when collecting the vehicle (obviously not applicable to private sales).

Unfortunately there is no grace period as such so you have to do it before driving it away - something they need to look at more flexible options for IMO.

Just make sure they got your name right - dealer taxed it for me wasn't till later I noticed they'd got my name wrong so I had to cancel and reapply as it wasn't valid - and got a warning I may be in trouble for being untaxed during that period! I did eventually get a tax refund but as it wasn't in my name it was impossible to cash the cheque! You couldn't make it up...

Soldato
What I was trying to say is that if you send off the V5 for new registered keeper, you can't tax the car until you receive the new form back, so if you've already sorted insurance, it would be invalidated in a crash/collision etc

That's what I was told by the DVLA and by my insurance company

Of course you can, just make sure you use the reference from the little green slip and not the V5 itself. If you use the V5c reference, it'll get cancelled. If you use the V5C/2 reference, it'll stay taxed.

Soldato
I used that reference, and can assure you, it was no longer valid

Well that goes against exactly what the government website says, how else would you tax a used car?

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax said:
Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle using a reference number from:

• a recent reminder (V11) or ‘last chance’ warning letter from DVLA
  • your vehicle log book (V5C) - it must be in your name
  • the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from a log book if you’ve just bought it

Man of Honour
I'm going to guess the DVLA had already received the online change of keeper or the V5 paperwork therefore the new keeper slip became invalid as technically there is now a new V5c issued and on it's way to the new owner.

Soldato
Place I got from mine would not sell the car without packaging the road tax in the sale which was fine with me, got it all sorted.

Back
Top Bottom