Team dont know...

Soldato
I wasn't going to start a thread about this but its kinda funny now...
Purchased a tv from currys in november 2016,its a jvc 50" 4k tv and fit my budget of £400 (im not one for the best ect so this was perfect for my needs)
I will cut the story short but here is the jist of it.
9th october 2107 phoned to get a repair on my tv as it started clicking when i turned it on and off.
The clicking sound started around the 5 min mark and last 10 mins or so and the same happened when i turned it off.
1st time the main board has been replaced (not needed)
2nd time the Power supply changed (not needed)
3rd time nothing got done
4th time they tightened up a few screws.
5th time...well,the tv goes back again on the 22 of january for another week.

When i get it back they would have had the tv in there possession 2 months and im quite sure the noise will be there.

I have explained the problem to 5 team know people on the phone,3 engineers,one letter with a sd card with 3 videos of the tv in various stages all making the noise,it was even making the noise when it was unplugged and sitting in my hall waiting for the delivery men to pick it up and monday gone i made a formal complaint.

This is the longest repair i have ever experienced and hope to get this resolved soon.

Any one else had something like this ?

Soldato
PC World send it out to whoever charged them the cheapest deal for repair, we dealt directly with one of those companies before they went bust (surprise surprise) and the rate of a repair actually fixing it was around 25% , they didn't care in the slightest.

Soldato
They pulled this stunt on my lg tv, i have a long wire going from the tv to a set of earphones and it yeilds a horrific background static when plugged in.

I've tested the whole cable just using my phone as the source to ensure its not interferance (which it wasnt), tested plugging headphones direct into the tv and got the static, so its plainly coming from the tv.

So i take it in to them and they're all big on it being my fault and there being interferance (right after explaining that i tested to prove that wasnt the case) so they test it themselves by taking the cheapest crappiest earphones i've ever seen and plugging them in "nope cant hear anything", no **** sherlock i'm amazed those earphones even work.

Sadly personal circumstances prevented me from being able to harangue them about it so they got away with it, of course now the headphone port has totally died so i got a cheapy dac off of the rainforest and amazingly the buzzing has gone!

Associate
Purchased a tv from currys in november 2016,its a jvc 50" 4k tv and fit my budget of £400 (im not one for the best ect so this was perfect for my needs)
9th october 2107 phoned to get a repair on my tv as it started clicking when i turned it on and off.
The clicking sound started around the 5 min mark and last 10 mins or so and the same happened when i turned it off.

When i get it back they would have had the tv in there possession 2 months and im quite sure the noise will be there.

I have explained the problem to 5 team know people on the phone,3 engineers,one letter with a sd card with 3 videos of the tv in various stages all making the noise,it was even making the noise when it was unplugged and sitting in my hall waiting for the delivery men to pick it up and monday gone i made a formal complaint.

This is the longest repair i have ever experienced and hope to get this resolved soon.

Enact your Final Right to Reject under the UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 and get your money back. It's 'da law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/24/enacted

You can enact your Final Right to Reject in the following conditions:
  • After 1 failed repair OR when replacement or both repair or replacement are impossible or disproportionate
  • The repair or replacement has not been done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience
If the first failure happened after 6 months from the date you bought it (in your case it did) then the supplier doesn't have to give you the full amount back; they can deduct a portion for usage / depreciation. However, no company worth it's salt will bother doing this as it's too much like hard work. They should just give you your money back.

Just print off the Consumer Rights Act at the link above, highlight Clause 24-1 to 24-6 in big green pen and bring it to the Customer Services / Store Manager (with receipt if you have it and records of any repairs). They should agree to give you money back. Guaranteed the manager will be a clueless chump and they just can't be bothered to deal with stuff like this.

Out of interest, have you paid for the repairs, or did you buy the Curry's KnowHow aftercare thing? I never pay for any aftercare and never put up with more than one replacement or repair. My dad is a professional complainer, so I suppose I've learnt a few things.

Caporegime

Maybe you are just ahead of the times here.

I was a tech support bod for a reseller who dealt with various suppliers including Asus, Acer, Dell, E-Machines plus local suppliers. Out of all of those, Acer were pretty bad for us having to repeatedly RMA their machines. This was because they would replace a part that didn't need replacing and it came back to us with the same problem as before. Very frustrating for our clients as each RMA would take around 1 week, so we would issue out loan laptops for those who were affected by repeated RMAs.

Soldato
OP
Just sent you a Trust message, a couple of email addresses that might help you :)
Thanks a lot for the mail dude as im sure it will come in handy,i made the complaint monday afternoon and they said they will reply within 5 days,if i haven't heard anything saturday morning ill get back in contact with them.

Associate

Honestly mate I'm more interested in how you managed to travel nearly 100 years into the future than the issues you're having with your TV...
Spill the beans! How'd you do it?

I have so many questions...

What can you tell us about the 22nd century? Is Betty White still alive? I bet she is. Is the future Earth more Star Trek The Next Generation? Or more Orwell's 1984?

Has humanity solved the issues of poverty and hunger? Is there a base on Mars? Do they have faster-than-light space travel? Has contact been made with an alien civilization?

Care to give me the Ontario Lottery and Gaming comission's winning numbers for tomorrow night?

What are the best stocks for me to invest in?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Enact your Final Right to Reject under the UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 and get your money back. It's 'da law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/24/enacted

You can enact your Final Right to Reject in the following conditions:
  • After 1 failed repair OR when replacement or both repair or replacement are impossible or disproportionate
  • The repair or replacement has not been done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience
If the first failure happened after 6 months from the date you bought it (in your case it did) then the supplier doesn't have to give you the full amount back; they can deduct a portion for usage / depreciation. However, no company worth it's salt will bother doing this as it's too much like hard work. They should just give you your money back.

Just print off the Consumer Rights Act at the link above, highlight Clause 24-1 to 24-6 in big green pen and bring it to the Customer Services / Store Manager (with receipt if you have it and records of any repairs). They should agree to give you money back. Guaranteed the manager will be a clueless chump and they just can't be bothered to deal with stuff like this.

Out of interest, have you paid for the repairs, or did you buy the Curry's KnowHow aftercare thing? I never pay for any aftercare and never put up with more than one replacement or repair. My dad is a professional complainer, so I suppose I've learnt a few things.
Its all been free as it was under the years guarantee.
I'll have a read up on the consumer stuff,I'll wait until I get a reply from my complaint and if no joy I'll quote the act.

Soldato
Thanks a lot for the mail dude as im sure it will come in handy,i made the complaint monday afternoon and they said they will reply within 5 days,if i haven't heard anything saturday morning ill get back in contact with them.

No worries - I'd still contact the others, they'll speed it along, and considering the utter nightmare you have had - might be more inclined to keep you sweet. Sadly, I've found the official customer service route less helpful.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom