Teamgroup dark pro 3866mhz ram won't run above 3200mhz.

Soldato
As title, i've been running two 8gb sticks of 3866 ram with an i7-8700 since October 2017, i recently swapped out my fans so needed to go back into the bios and do the fan training.

When i got into the bios i found the ram was at 2133mhz, not good.

I've not changed the build since it was put together. I've gone into the bios and un/set the xmp, i've tried numerous different speeds and nothing above 3200mhz will boot, anything else give me the "failed to boot several times, enter bios and fix it" message and the ram is back to 2133mhz.

I've tried single stick, both sticks, different slots, unplugged the drives, etc and nothing will work.

What have i done to it?

edit, brainfart, mobo is asrock z370 extreme4 P3.30 bios.

Last edited:
Soldato
is the CPU at stock clock and voltages ? If it was me I would reset the CPU back to stock and check the LLC setting. Set the LLC to level 2 and re-test.

If fail use same settings and bump the VCCIO and SA both to 1.25v just to check that it is not an undervolt problem.

If fail just try setting the ram to 1.5v and then start at 3200 and move up in 100mhz increments to find the break point to 3866.

Soldato
OP
is the CPU at stock clock and voltages ? If it was me I would reset the CPU back to stock and check the LLC setting. Set the LLC to level 2 and re-test.

If fail use same settings and bump the VCCIO and SA both to 1.25v just to check that it is not an undervolt problem.

If fail just try setting the ram to 1.5v and then start at 3200 and move up in 100mhz increments to find the break point to 3866.

Yes, everything at stock, it's a non-K chip so apart from pushing the bclk to 102 there isn't much to do with it.

I tried the VCCIO up slightly and it still hit a wall at 3200mhz.

Wondering if i can use this as an excuse for a 9700k....

Back
Top Bottom