Teenager dies in bath from a phone?

Soldato
Quite a lot of the Chinese "wall warts" are truly astonishingly badly made and a plain fire / shock hazard, many have no proper low to high voltage isolation, and CE stickers are pence a sheet from all over the show.

In many ways China is going through a similar process of rapid industrial and social change that Britain went through in the early part of the industrial revolution.

The technology may be different but the process seems very similar

You have the innovation and the big projects (Whatever one may feel about the ecological aspects of the three gorges dam, It is a bloody impressive piece of engineering and the Chinese have every right to be proud of it)

You have the Arkwright mills with the not terribly good and relentless working conditions (Foxconn)

And you, as well as the good stuff undoubtedly being made, have gazillions of little factories turning out the most appalling crap.

They will get a handle on it in due course, but for now we are where we are.

Soldato
I electrocuted myself on one of those disposable cameras you wind up.

What i did was take it apart and touched some copper plate, which AFAIK, discharged the capacitor powering the flash.

Pretty good shock, felt like at least 1 second of continuous discharge.

Anyone here know the voltage/ amps of that so i can compare.

I thought I was the only one, silly enough to do that :D But I concur, it was a good second of discharge into my thumb - certainly gave me a shock!

Man of Honour
I have a 6kV at 2 Amp DC supply, not only would you almost certainly die, you would also suffer pretty appalling burns and flesh damage.

I've seen someone's arm - who survived - after being electrocuted by a 4.5kV, high amperage capable, DC supply - not pretty and lasting deep scarring.

Soldato
micro or milli Amperes but at about 1kV plus, a charged high voltage capacitor is dangerous but you would be very unlucky to die from a shock from a camera flash gun the cap will have little stored energy per se. Cattle electric fences are 5kV plus but a short extremely low amperage pulse. You know you've been bitten but you'll live to know not to touch it again ;) The real killers are high voltage DC supplies like some big RF amplifiers run. I have a 6kV at 2 Amp DC supply, not only would you almost certainly die, you would also suffer pretty appalling burns and flesh damage. It's volts that jolts but it's lots of volts with lots of mills that kills. A 12V car battery can supply up to a thousand amps but you can hold both terminals and feel nothing. Half an Amp at 500V DC can certainly kill if you are unlucky or have a weak ticker.

I knew somebody many years ago who had the misfortune to pee on an electric cattle fence.

It didn't kill him but he reckons it knocked him out.

He said he woke up lying on his back still *******!

:p

Soldato
I've seen someone's arm - who survived - after being electrocuted by a 4.5kV, high amperage capable, DC supply - not pretty and lasting deep scarring.

At the risk of being a bit pedantic. I dont believe that one can survive being electrocuted!;) :D

I remember a similar case in the early 80's where somebody had the misfortune to grab onto an 11Kv line.

He survived too but he lost his voice for six months and it blew a chunk out of his side big enough to put your fist into! :eek:

It is amazing what people can survive sometimes!

Permabanned
I knew somebody many years ago who had the misfortune to pee on an electric cattle fence.

It didn't kill him but he reckons it knocked him out.

He said he woke up lying on his back still *******!

:p

Just imagine how the cow / sheep feel with four unshod feet on the wet grass :) Peeing aside, which is not a good idea on cattle fences as your pal found out, if you grasp a cattle fence hard you get far less of a "feeling" as part of the fright is from the first spark, once you ground it well through a good contact they aren't too bad. A lot depends on ground conductivity and your footwear.

Soldato
I was amazed at the audacity of these thieves who stole over a mile of overhead electricity pylon cable! :eek:

http://www.levantups.co.uk/10/news/article/8/power-line-thefts-cause-black-outs

Power was cut to hundreds of homes in Lincolnshire when more than a mile of overhead cabling was stolen.

The theft took place in the Burton Fen area on Tuesday evening and affected homes in Burton Waters near Lincoln.

Police said the theft was highly organised and offenders used a dinghy to cross a stretch of water to steal the 1,968 yards (1.8km) of cable.

I know people who live in the area and they said the thieves had home made jump cables they used to earth the cable before cutting it.....mental

Man of Honour
I stand corrected ;)

Though I suspect this is a common usage modification thing (Like Gay) rather than the definition that I grew up with.

I always used to think electrocution meant dead dead but doesn't seem to be used that way any more.

Soldato
I was amazed at the audacity of these thieves who stole over a mile of overhead electricity pylon cable! :eek:

http://www.levantups.co.uk/10/news/article/8/power-line-thefts-cause-black-outs

I know people who live in the area and they said the thieves had home made jump cables they used to earth the cable before cutting it.....mental

There should be a law on "Wilful interruption of supply" or some such.

Each homeowner/account interrupted should be a separate offense.

Sentence should be 6 months per offense, served consecutively!

Utter Scum!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Permabanned
Some "Travellers" round here nicked some empty oxygen and nitrogen full size gas bottles and started to knock the brass valves off in the back of a Transit van with a sledge hammer, to weigh in the brass. One *wasn't* empty.... :) 2200 PSI released suddenly via a 5/8 hole is VERY dramatic.

Caporegime
Some "Travellers" round here nicked some empty oxygen and nitrogen full size gas bottles and started to knock the brass valves off in the back of a Transit van with a sledge hammer, to weigh in the brass. One *wasn't* empty.... :) 2200 PSI released suddenly via a 5/8 hole is VERY dramatic.

Were they the 'scrap metal collectors'?

Soldato
What happened here is no doubt some mains extension socket being dropped into the bath.

Even if you dropped a mains extension socket in the bath I doubt many people would die from it. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. If you dropped a mains socket in the bath, the ground pin is what, an inch or two away? It doesnt electrify all the water, and the electrical field strength would be very low away from the socket due to the short ground path. It would be pretty unfortunate set of circumstances to die in that scenario

Man of Honour
To all the people mentioning extension cables etc, most countries to not have the same laws as us about electric sockets in bathrooms. My Austrian friends think it's absolutely hilarious that we have pull cord light switches and no sockets in the bathroom.

Soldato
The acetylene ones are really fun when the flashback arrester fails and you get a fire inside the cylinder.

Soldato
Even if you dropped a mains extension socket in the bath I doubt many people would die from it. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. If you dropped a mains socket in the bath, the ground pin is what, an inch or two away? It doesnt electrify all the water, and the electrical field strength would be very low away from the socket due to the short ground path. It would be pretty unfortunate set of circumstances to die in that scenario

Watch the video of a related case involving a phone. Although again it wasn't actually the phone.

The theory there was an extension cable and with wet hands, coming into contact with live contacts due to poorly connected cables at mains voltage.

IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom