Teenager dies in bath from a phone?

Caporegime
Even if you dropped a mains extension socket in the bath I doubt many people would die from it. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. If you dropped a mains socket in the bath, the ground pin is what, an inch or two away? It doesnt electrify all the water, and the electrical field strength would be very low away from the socket due to the short ground path. It would be pretty unfortunate set of circumstances to die in that scenario

Not exactly, the flow of electricity is in inverse proportion to the resistance, so current flows everywhere but most of it hits ground, however this is assuming there is a ground pin in a cheap Russian power extension socket.

Caporegime
You shared/posted this just so you could mock the poor girl with a 'darwin award'. It's sad, no matter the circumstances.
Part of the sadness of the story is the complete and total addiction to/dependence on phones.

People I know all take their phones to the loo when they're having a crap, take them in the shower when they're washing... literally glued to them all day every day.

Can't even cross the road without staring at their phones. It's only because urban drivers now know to be hyper-vigilant that all the phone zombies are being more regularly knocked down.

Soldato
Not exactly, the flow of electricity is in inverse proportion to the resistance, so current flows everywhere but most of it hits ground, however this is assuming there is a ground pin in a cheap Russian power extension socket.

What you get is an electric field, a bit like the field lines round a magnet.

The field intensity will be greatest in the immediate vicinity of the socket but it will extend throughout the bath.

Whether or not this will kill you depends on whether or not the field away from the socket is intense enough to result in a lethal current flowing through your body.

A similar thing happens with lightening strikes. You do not actually have to be struck to be killed. if the electric gradient between your feet is enough to produce a lethal shock you can still be killed or stunned some distance away from the actual strike.

In field with cattle that suffer a lightening strike, you often find that the animals that are either facing directly away or towards the point of strike will die but the ones that are standing side on can survive.

Associate
I'm a member of the Electrical and Electronics Circuit Diagrams Facebook group and the number of times people post 'will this work?' diagrams of completely un-isolated power supply circuit diagrams is staggering. It is entirely feasible she has got hold of some cheap Chinese charger where the live mains is connected either directly or through a few diodes/resistors to the 0V output, and hence metallic parts of the phones case. In the dry you may get an odd tingle especially if you're touching something else metallic and not worry too much about it, but in the wet, Kaboom.

Soldato
You'll have to forgive the childlike narration and overly dramatic music, it was made for a simpler folk.

Blimy! :eek:

There was no way anybody was going to put that lot out!

I am surprised that companies in the US are allowed to store Acetylene in such large quantities in urban areas. Given that fire is always a possibility, I would have thought a more remote location on the outskirts of town well away from other premises would be a safer idea.

They are very lucky indeed that nobody was killed (Especially on the freeway!)

Soldato
Blimy! :eek:

There was no way anybody was going to put that lot out!

I am surprised that companies in the US are allowed to store Acetylene in such large quantities in urban areas. Given that fire is always a possibility, I would have thought a more remote location on the outskirts of town well away from other premises would be a safer idea.

They are very lucky indeed that nobody was killed (Especially on the freeway!)
I was just thinking, why is the road opens, some of those cylinders where not that far off the road.

Soldato
I read a news story just day's before this one where a teenage male fell asleep with his headphones in. The phone was charging at the time, earbug shorted and electrocuted him.

Soldato
I'm curious now...is there anything you can do in that situation other than running away faster than you thought you could possibly move?

Run very far away and call the fire bridage who will attempt to cool it down so that the pressure from the burning acetylene doesn’t blow the end cap out and turn the cylinder into a rocket...

Soldato
I read a news story just day's before this one where a teenage male fell asleep with his headphones in. The phone was charging at the time, earbug shorted and electrocuted him.

I saw that one.

There are so many things which need to have been completely garbage for mains voltage to end up with a path through a pair of earphones.

A conductive path from the mains, through the charger, through the phone and through earbuds...

Soldato
I saw that one.

There are so many things which need to have been completely garbage for mains voltage to end up with a path through a pair of earphones.

A conductive path from the mains, through the charger, through the phone and through earbuds...

yeah, I was reading in one of those "fact or fiction" style sites, ultimately they said "it could under extreme circumstances but isn't likely. I'm not sure what other reason there could be after seeing photos of the boy's bloody ear and burnt earbud.

Associate
To all the people mentioning extension cables etc, most countries to not have the same laws as us about electric sockets in bathrooms. My Austrian friends think it's absolutely hilarious that we have pull cord light switches and no sockets in the bathroom.
because it is silly.

unless regulation changed in switzerland. no sockets within 90cm of the bath/ shower (since most cables are baout 70cm long). if closer use a faster RCD with 10mA trip rather than the standard 30mA rating.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom