telewest cable modem question (surfboard sb5100)

Associate
the sb5100 has both usb and ethernet connex and i am currently connected using the etehrnet connex.

i want to use the usb connex on the modem for the pc and the ethernet to connex to my x360 (apparantly this will work http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/)

my question is, is there any difference in performance for the pc in going from ethernet connection to usb connection off the modem

Associate
If you use the USB port, all the networky stuff will have to be handled by your cpu as it is just a generic serial bus. a network card on the other hand will have a dedicated controller chip which will reduce the load on the CPU. It isn't going to cause a decent computer much bother. Some say it is less reliable...

Edit: the sb5100 has a usb 2.0 port so bandwidth is not a problem like with the older sb modems.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's the same site that says this:

'I can personally recommend the following manufacturers for Ethernet modems...Netgear, Linksys and DLink. I can recommend them because I have been using their products for years at work and at home and they have a solid reputation and great support services.'

Now either the person concerned is seriously mistaken in the above statement concering 3rd party modems or he's openly claiming to have breached his agreement with his cable provider.

Anyway see page 40 here

Caporegime
apparantly this will work

It's wrong. It won't. You can use USB, or you can use ethernet, but not both at the same time.

Unless you want the joy of switching it off to swap it over, I'd suggest a router.

Soldato
tolien said:
It's wrong. It won't. You can use USB, or you can use ethernet, but not both at the same time.

If you take the gaming pack (2nd IP - also used to be free on 10mbit if you request it or £5/month on lower speeds) on TW it may actually work according to the Motorola Doc's but i'd rather have a router and be done with it than use USB for networking anything out of choice.

Soldato
4 port Netgear hub oddly iirc but they weren't exactly popular, the xbox they put in the call centre was however very popular :D

Back
Top Bottom