Tell me about the F10 M5

Soldato
For the m5, don’t unless you just want a big fast car as that is all it is. 550hp in a 2wd car doesn’t work.

it lacks the special that you get with the other M cars, the engine sounds like a harmonica and the DCT box is crap 9 times out of 10.

Received a thorough thumbs down from me.

Soldato
The service pack isn't going to save him from 9k of bills it only covers scheduled maintenance.
Well, as we don't know what that £9k was made up of, it's feasible that £9k is proportionately servicing over a 5 year period, but yes a warranty / extended warranty would also have been sensible.

Soldato
No it isn't.

It's the warranty not the service pack that would have helped here.

Yes, it is.
5 services at approx £400 = £2000
1 service including plugs £1000
Diff Oil change = £100
Discs and Pads (not covered by either warranty or servicing (although the labour is) = £1600
£4.7k in running costs is definitely a proportion of £9k bills :D

Man of Honour
You won't get 6 services out of a service pack, the F10 package expired after 5 years or 50k whichever was first. You were doing well to get 3 of them in, typically you'd only get 2.

Soldato
You won't get 6 services out of a service pack, the F10 package expired after 5 years or 50k whichever was first. You were doing well to get 3 of them in, typically you'd only get 2.
I've had two cars with (the old style) service packs and got three services out of each. They were very good value really, the M3 one especially so as at £1100 that included the 1200 mile running in service, a mini service, a major (including spark plugs), and another mini service which also included the rear diff. At main dealer prices that's probably around £2200-£2500.
£1000 service with spark plug change. And I thought £600 was a lot :D
F80 M3 main dealer service with spark plugs is ~£900, M5 I'd expect is a tad higher because of 2 extra cylinders.

Man of Honour
OP
Interesting thoughts, so we picked up the S-Max yesterday (got a really nice sped Titanium X Sport 2.0 turbo 240bhp one).

I'm now thinking, hey, I don't need such a big car anymore as we have this one!

Also, my wife pointed out I should really get a car the dog can go in if I need to take her someone and don't use the S-Max, so am thinking a hatchback instead!

I'm therefore thinking of either an M135i, Golf R or even an S3. The M135i is in the lead at the moment!

Cheers,
Mal

Back
Top Bottom