Tell me about track days

Associate
OP
Depends on the track.

But yes, 300 quid for a day at silverstone, an easy 100 quid on fuel, probably close to 200 if you are out often. 150 quid or so insurance.

Then consumables on top, so tyres, pads, oil, how much this costs depends how hard you are pushing.

How much wear would my tyres get in one track day?! Surly now 100%?! That would be crazy expensive replacing £600-700 tyres every time!

Pads are cheap, discs are expensive. Is it mostly the pads that get worn and not the discs?

Associate
OP
This is why a lot of people run Clios and MX5s and the like.

You can be in a car that is better than you are (almost certainly as a novice) for a couple of grand and cheap parts thereafter.

You will limit the car until you've got some experience. Plus, driving something you don't care about at 10/10 of your ability is far more fun than giving it 8/10 because at the back of your mind you don't want to buckle a Porsche.

Yes I understand. I dont want to take it up as a full time hobby, just have a go. I want to do it to experiance my car property, not the other way around.

Associate
Thank you all for your advice. Just so I understand this correctly...

- Serious wear will take place on my brakes and pads (not cheap to replace!)
Due new ones next month so at least they will be track ready.

- I will destroy my tyres or at least dramatically reduce their life even on one track day
They currently have plenty of tread and are the same as the Cayman come with as standard

- I will burn through lots of fuel and engine oil

- If my car overheats I may cause other damage
Its just had a major service

- My extended warrenty wont cover anything that breaks (assuming they find out)

- Im driving with no insurance?! Or need to but expensive one day insurance that has very limited cover

- Have to pay quite a bit for the track entry

- Need to buy a helmet and maybe gloves

It sounds like my track day experiance is going to cost £1000 +. Am I misunderstanding?!

Note: No ego here, not worried about 'winning'. I just want to enjoy my car in a safe legal way.

Honestly just do one and see how you go, it sounds daunting but it really isn't. Plenty of people like myself just rock up to the track in a road car and have a great time. Nobody forces you to go out and drive like a madman, that's why open pitlane is great.

If you want to know a cars true potential then nothing beats a track day. All you honestly need is a car and a helmet. Bear in mind that cars like yours are tested to destruction on tracks before they are released.

Last time I was at Donington about 2 months ago loads of people turned up in McClaren's, Porsche GT2 - 3's, R8's etc. People wouldn't drive cars like that on track if it wasn't safe....I know I wouldn't.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It’s probably about that if you add up all the wear and tear on top of the obvious things, £800-1000 I’d say. Insurance varies a LOT, my Z4 was only £120 a day but the 4C came out at £400! Safe to say I found another policy.

Cheaper days do exist, and you don’t have to go absolutely ham and destroy your brakes.

Can one not go for half a day or a mini day?! I assume brakes only take a lot of abuse if you are doing a lot of hard breaking on the corners..... which I assume is inevitable if driving fast?!

Sadly Cadwell park is 2.5h drive from me. Id be tired by the time I get there!!

Associate
OP
Honestly just do one and see how you go, it sounds daunting but it really isn't. Plenty of people like myself just rock up to the track in a road car and have a great time. Nobody forces you to go out and drive like a madman, that's why open pitlane is great.

If you want to know a cars true potential then nothing beats a track day. All you honestly need is a car and a helmet.

What is 'open pitlane'? How much as a helmet? I would not feel comfortable without insurance in case I destroy my 30k car. I took a look at some of the induction packages and they are like £300-500!

Associate
What is 'open pitlane'? How much as a helmet? I would not feel comfortable without insurance in case I destroy my 30k car. I took a look at some of the induction packages and they are like £300-500!
Open pit lane just means between 9:30am - 5pm you can go off and on track as you please. You could could do 500 laps or you could do 1, its up to you.

I just use my motorcycle helmet, you can get very good automotive helmets for reasonable money nowadays, not that you will need it.

I honestly wouldn't get hung up on insurance as the only time you would need it; is if you drive well beyond your limits and hit a barrier / armco (this rarely happens unless you drive like a nob). Nobody is going to crash into you unless you are reckless, in which case you will get black & white flagged and get a talking to and then get another chance.

If you are from Leicester then just do a evening at Donington, If you hit the barrier there then you have done well, unless lifting off through Crainer corner.

Sgarrista
Commissario
How much wear would my tyres get in one track day?! Surly now 100%?! That would be crazy expensive replacing £600-700 tyres every time!

Depends on the tyre and how hard you push, I have done a half a set of MPS4S on a track day at silverstone, and ruined a full set of pzeros there also in a single day. Managed to also destroy a rear set of Cup2 in 1 day.

Lol @ £5k excess! Thats not my idea of safe...

Well depends on the car but would you rather be 20, 40, 80, 150k in the hole if you write it off or 5k?

Associate
I didn't really think of that. Not a lot of run off on some parts and I did see someone bin a civic once.

Donny is a lot better in that respect.
If you bin a car at Donington then you have done something really bad lol. Only place I have seen people hit the wall there is at Crainer and even that is hard to do unless the grass is wet. Somebody did flip a car in the gravel on the left hand side there the other day tho :D Had 1 butt clencher through there and learnt the old 'do not lift through Crainer'

Associate
Especially on two wheels like what I did, it was like being on a rollercoaster but not attached to the track :eek::D
Lmao I already knew you guys were on about Cadwell Park before I looked back through the posts. They don't call it the 'Mini-Nürburgring' for nothing. It's my number 2 with Oulton Park.

They don't call it the mountain for nothing on a bike
:eek:

Soldato
You can do just a morning/afternoon but typically it’s not that cost effective, better of paying for a whole day but spreading out your laps more.

I’d recommend a novice day at Donington, it’s great and not as intimidating as it sounds. You can ultimately push as hard or not as you want, and do as many laps or not as you want.

Soldato
I went off at Craners at Donington, full on spins through the grass and back on to the track and all was good.

Even a woman who was doing her first track day, in the wet, in a Westfield who managed to come off at places you'd never believe didn't damage her car. You do have to do something special to hit anything there.

@Yucca totally appreciate your situation. Go out, drive your car how you want to on the track and enjoy it. Though you might well get the bug and decide on a cheap track car later!

Associate
Bedford autodrome is another with lots of run off. Hard to hit what's not there!

Also has a nice long straight to open up the acceleration and tarmac runoff at the end of it if you run out of road!

Soldato
One thing to beat in mind if you’re worried about the cost of replacing your brakes is that there’s nothing to say that you have to attack the braking zones “Last of the late brakers” style. As had already been said, it’s not a race so there’s no benefit in killing your brakes just to brake a few meters later. On the whole, with an unprepared road car the key to controlling brake and tyre wear is temperature management, keep the runs relatively short and drive smoothly and it’ll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom