Associate
Hi everyone, I'm new to the OC and all these things with advanced voltage settings and so on, but I guess my problem might have something to do with Vcore voltage or related stuff. If anyone had the same problem with 2600x, I'd appreciate any advise.

I'm having some weird temperature behaviour on my Ryzen 5 2600x. It seems to have very unstable temps at idle and I tried some radical means (like installing a way more powerfull cooling system than needed for 95tdp), but nothing really changed signifficantly. I think this might be either the processor itself, the system (win 10 is weird sometimes) or the new motherboard that I have just installed.

I recently swapped the motherboard from Asus "Prime B350 plus" to GIGABYTE "Aourus X470 gaming 7 Rev. 1.1 (BIOS ver. F5 2018)" and the cpu cooler from DeepCool Gammax 400 to Thermalright Macho Rev B. With DeepCool, the cpu was idling at an average of 45C cycling with spikes up to 51 - 53C. I swapped the cooler to the Thermalright Macho Rev B expecting that the bigger heat sink and greater airflow will decrease idling temperature and somehow remove these weird flucuations resulting in a +/- smooth temp graph. Finally, I've had to add 2 more 140mm intake fans right on top of the cpu in order to get the temps cool down on some little 10 degree in general, but it didn't anyhow fixed these sudden temperature jumps. I'm still seeing these temp spikes up to 52C - 42C and an overall temp graph looks like a mountain pass. Yes, it did lowered the overal temps, but didn't changed it's dynamics, which I can conclude isn't a cooling problem.

The reason that I see might be causing these jums is the way the new motherboard manages the voltage on the cpu. I can see these temp spikes clearly related to the voltage jumps on the Vcore from 1 to 1.3 - 1.4v. Also, I see in the task manager, that only one core out of 6 has these voltage jumps. I'm not sure if that is normal or not for Ryzen, as soon as there is some kind of a "turbo boost" technology there, which might just react to some processes in the system, but still, this happens constantly at idle with a similar interval between the voltage jumps.

I checked for any services that could eat cpu in the background, but did not found anything signifficant, including viruses and junky apps. I also have nothing like addons for browsers, any sort of extensions and other junk installed in the system (i prefer to keep it clean from any BG apps). I was conducting several tests with several cooling setups with at least hour - long time intervals, to make sure, that the overal temps are only affected and not the dynamics of their change.

So, could it be something what motherboard does with voltage just on it's own? Should I fix it manually in BIOS in this case?

I didn't change anything in the new BIOS when I swapped motherboard. Nor I reinstalled the win 10 itself, just updated the drivers for the chipset. The only thing - I added an XMP frofile (default 1) for the memory, to make it work on 3000Mhz (It's actual stated frequency, which I also checked for compability with Ryzen before), but I also tried to turn in off in one of the tests and nothing changed at all.

LPhbnDd

Soldato
The 10 degree jumps when at low usage/idle are just what Ryzen does. Its totally normal that it is doing it, once sustained load is put onto the cpu the fluctuations stop, and the temp reading will stay steady. Its nothing to worry about.

Associate
OP
The 10 degree jumps when at low usage/idle are just what Ryzen does. Its totally normal that it is doing it, once sustained load is put onto the cpu the fluctuations stop, and the temp reading will stay steady. Its nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the answer. By the way (I see you've got ryzen 2600x as well), which cooling system do you have and which temps are you getting at idle / max load? I'm curious to further research the temperature question and how well this cpu can be cooled with air cooling systems. I think the 35C at idle and 65C at full load is far not a limit for an air cooling system. Do you think it is worth to push it further, or that is pretty much near the limit already? I mean, without tricks like scalping it, polishing the cap, e.t.c

Soldato
^what he said.

I don't have any experience with ryzen but there are always fluctuations. It could be the hardware sensor only takes a reading every so often or it could be an issue with your monitoring software.

Look at trends and averages, not spikes.

Soldato
The cpu was idling at an average of 45C cycling with spikes up to 51 - 53C.

That's not a temp spike. It's not even that hot. Not sure what the temperature tolerances on ryzen are, but I've limited the overclock on my i5 so it doesn't go over 80c at full load.

Your chip is cold in comparison. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the answer. By the way (I see you've got ryzen 2600x as well), which cooling system do you have and which temps are you getting at idle / max load? I'm curious to further research the temperature question and how well this cpu can be cooled with air cooling systems. I think the 35C at idle and 65C at full load is far not a limit for an air cooling system. Do you think it is worth to push it further, or that is pretty much near the limit already? I mean, without tricks like scalping it, polishing the cap, e.t.c

I currently use a EKWB Phoenix 280 (Fans set to static 50%), this is cooling both cpu and gpu.
Average idle temps are anywhere from 25c-30c depending on ambient, gpu idle is similar. My idle stays low as i use the power saver power plan when i have no intention of stressing the system (all cores unparked).

If i use balanced or any other power plan, i to get the temp spikes, we all will. Idle temp stays the same as above, just with 10c bursts now and then.

The main reason i do this for general use (web browsing) as on that power plan it just stays downclocked, until sustained work is called for then it ramps up.

Gaming wise my cpu will sit anywhere between 60c-70c (Tctl/Tdie), motherboard cpu sensor reads lower and is not as accurate as the tctl/tdie sensor. Gpu is often sub 50c.

A quick run of Cinebench R20, just to load the cpu only, netted a peak of 63c, so more or less similar to my gaming cpu temps really, just a few C down due to the gpu being idle.

Basically i would'nt worry about your temps they are totally fine, the only difference between your mid 60's and my mid 60's is i am doing that with my rad fans @ a fixed 1000 rpm, where as your air coolers fan will ramp a lot higher then that. So with all that being said, its all good, just enjoy the system and don't over worry.

Associate
OP
Yeah, water cooling is really great in terms of the silence that it keeps at any load. That is definitely gonna be the next improvement to the system when 3rd gen Ryzens will be ready.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Soldato
Glad to help, when i originally switched from intel to my current setup i was like, wtf is going on, most do until they realise its normal.

Back
Top Bottom