Temporary work area for 3-4 months at home?

Associate
As my previous thread suggests I am having an extension done.

Here comes the hard part, planning around it.

I work from home, repairing tech. I own a 3 bed mid terraced house and have 2 children (a 4 year old and a 9 month old soon to go in to his own room).

There is a narrow utility room, which runs the depth of the house, from front to back. I currently work here, as well as performing all soldering and motherboard repairs which produces a fair bit of fumes from flux and leaded solder. At present I have extraction present there to ensure most of it is filtered out of the room.

Once the builders are in, this utility room will be used by them as it's a straight run through to the back garden. Here is my dilemma.

I can easily use one of the bedrooms during the day for simple stuff, part replacements, software work, though soldering is a big part of my business, it isn't feasible here.

I have thought about a log cabin, and in future I would get one anyway, but even if I were to put a log cabin at the rear to work from prior to the extension work, my access would be difficult. If I place one to the front of the property, then i have the hassle of moving it to the rear once done.

Is there any product (before you ask, i have searched) that fits the bill? Anything I've seen is more the building sites and the hire of them makes little sense for the cost. It would be cheaper for me to erect a cheap shiplap shed out the front and work from it with an extension cable. I would then dispose of it and still save costs.

Any better ideas? It needs to be from home ideally, people know my address and I have years of business clients coming to and from my home.

Associate
Job done.
RV.jpg

Soldato
Shed is probably your best bet, only other possibility I can think of is a cheap or second-hand tent - one with enough height to be standing in. You don't want to be leaving anything of value in when you're not there.

If you do something at the front, you should check with the council on any restrictions you might have - and make sure to tell the neighbours it is just a temporary thing while the builders are in. I can easily see people getting upset.

How much space do you have at the front ? Most terraces I know open onto the street or have a postage stamp for a front garden.

Associate
OP
I know my council doesn't allow sheds at the front of the property but I thought I'd get away with it while there's obvious building work going on and only temporary.

I have a driveway 7m wide by 5m depth, so it's a fair size.

Back
Top Bottom