Tenancy renewal fees - yay or nay?

Caporegime
Just signed a contract with our letting agent for another year. Got an invoice in the post for £630, so they've conveniently tacked on the last two years' fees on to this one's too. Now these idiots couldn't run a drink up in a brewery and are your textbook estate agent in terms of competency and aptitude, which is why for the last two years I've just thrown their letters in the bin and ignored them.

Now I don't really care, I have zero intention of paying £210 for them to change a date on a form and hit submit but the wife is worried so I need to see what the legalities are.

So, what are they? Can they try and enforce a fee from two years ago, one year ago, and then lump another one on top?

I want to tell them to do on really badly but my wife has been right once or twice in the past so I need to know where we stand before I do so.

Caporegime
Hell no would I be paying it. For the current one can you not go direct via the landlord and cut these clowns out of the circus?

With the previous ones they require proof that the fees were made clear and you agreed to pay them.

Caporegime
OP
Not a chance

Even moreso if you weren't advised of them ahead of time.
Wonder if they would try and withold it from your deposit tho

I've lived in this place for 10 years, my deposit has worked out to £8.75 a month, they can keep it. I'm well aware that the second you hand over a deposit to that bottom feeding scum you'll have to argue the toss for every penny you want back.

This is interesting. I wonder if they're having one last hurrah to see which tenants they can squeeze before they get officially told to **** off.

Caporegime
I've lived in this place for 10 years, my deposit has worked out to £8.75 a month, they can keep it. I'm well aware that the second you hand over a deposit to that bottom feeding scum you'll have to argue the toss for every penny you want back.

Slight thread diversion but is your deposit in a protected scheme and have you been notified about that etc... if not then you can get compensation starting at an amount equal to your deposit and up to three times the amount.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/tenancy_deposit_protection_rules

Caporegime
Soldato
I dont get it - I rent out my house and whenever the tenancy is renewed my management company charge me (about £175 - which I have always found a bit steep as its just to print off the paperwork!!)

Caporegime
OP
I dont get it - I rent out my house and whenever the tenancy is renewed my management company charge me (about £175 - which I have always found a bit steep as its just to print off the paperwork!!)

Yep, my landlord pays the same. So putting your number as a placeholder in the calculation, that means they're charging £285 a year to change no more than 8 numbers. And that's no exaggeration, it's literally the same contract, every single year, just with different dates. It's all electronic too, so they don't even have to pay for a stamp or walk to the postbox. 8 numbers. £285.

Ladies and gentlemen, estate agents.

Soldato
Why not simply let contract automatically turn into a periodic tenancy with no fees? Our tenancy agreement ended summer 2007, if we want to leave we need to give one months notice, if landlord wants us out they must give us two months.

Capodecina
Soldato
Why not simply let contract automatically turn into a periodic tenancy with no fees? Our tenancy agreement ended summer 2007, if we want to leave we need to give one months notice, if landlord wants us out they must give us two months.
That should be the norm.

Incidentally, you have been given an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and Gas Safety Certificate haven't you?

Caporegime
OP
That should be the norm.

Incidentally, you have been given an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and Gas Safety Certificate haven't you?

Don't think I've had either tbh. Why?

And it's Kineigh Folkhard and Hayward or something. Trying the lawyer name angle. Don't be fooled, they're exactly the same bottom feeding scum as the rest of them.

Soldato

Done this with my tenants. Rolling contract since 2012. No issues so far though. I've no issue with a nominal fee being charged annually for example upto £25.

Capodecina
Soldato
Don't think I've had either tbh. Why?

And it's Kineigh Folkhard and Hayward or something. Trying the lawyer name angle. Don't be fooled, they're exactly the same bottom feeding scum as the rest of them.
The seller or landlord must provide an EPC free of charge to a prospective buyer or tenant at the earliest opportunity. A copy of the EPC must also be provided to the successful buyer or the person who takes up the tenancy. - £200 for failing to provide an EPC.
Where there are any gas appliances in the property provided by the landlord, the landlord must ensure that annual gas safety checks are carried out. These checks must be carried out by a gas fitter/engineer who is registered on the Gas Safety Register (which has replaced Corgi). A copy must be given to the tenant before the tenant moves in and the check must have been carried out within the 12 months before the new tenant takes up occupation. Checks must be done annually at no more than 12 month intervals and copies of all certificates for checks must be handed over to the tenant.
The Gas Safety Certificate isn't required if you don't have a Gas Boiler, Cooker or Fire in your property.

A Carbon Monoxide Alarm is probably required as well. Smoke / Fire Alarms and PATs may be as well.

Check with Kineigh Folkhard and Hayward ;)

Back
Top Bottom