Tennis

Soldato
OP
I’m going to disagree. I reckon he’s finished at the top level. As annoying and frustrating as that is. It’s high level sport.

Imo it's the wrong time to be writing him off, Zverev is a top 5 player and Murray did not look out of his depth at any moment.

He still believes he can win these matches and I'm not going to disagree with him.

It's all about staying injury free, if he can do that anything is possible.

Caporegime
Biggest difference for me last night was the noticeable improvement in match fitness. Still got a lot of work to do with his ground strokes and serve before he's beating these guys but I believe he'll get there. Just not sure if he can win multiple 5 setters on his way to a final and title any more.

Soldato
OP
I agree, he's still got a lot of work to do but he's moving in the right direction, looking better with each match.

Rusedski et al wrote him off before the Alcaraz match and they would have only written him off like that if they had not been watching his recent matches - Murray's level was a complete surprise to them. Tim Henman was the only one who knew Murray had been playing to a higher level recently, commenting that Murray lost to two players who went on to win the tournament and that he had opportunities in both matches, same as last night against Zverev.

For me, the next step in Murray's return from injury has to be winning 3 or 4 matches in a row, maybe even making it to a semi-final. That's what I'm hoping for anyway, he needs to start climbing the rankings.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just think such a serious injury at that age and having had such trouble over the last what 3+ years is going to be to difficult to over come. Especially now that the next (next & next) gen are starting to actually do something.

Soldato
OP
Well I'm sure he is encouraged by his performance last night, despite the loss and despite what social media might be saying today.

Hopefully, he can have a good run at the European Open next week.

Associate
I think Murray just needs that 2-3% of performance that should come from stringing a few wins together and he'll be able to pick up some results against top 10 players. Whether his body can hold up in consecutive 5 set matches who knows. It's amazing that he's doing as well as he is after such catastrophic injury problems at his age.

Soldato
OP
Excellent

Yeah, he's playing Schwartzman (@7pm tonight), who he has a 2:1 head-to-head against, so a definite possibility he could make it to the SFs.

If he wins tonight he'll be the new British #1 and break into the top 20 for the first time.

Norrie takes the first 6-0!

...and takes the second 6-2.

He will play Dimitrov in the SF and has a very good chance of making the final.

Last edited:
Soldato
I realise this isn't the place for this, but it's better than an unnecessary new thread. Just had the most fantastic week at a tennis camp in Mallorca - played about 18 hours of tennis across 4 days, with some good coaches and some really top "club" players, including a couple of guys who were junior pros. Learned an absolute ton. If anyone's in need of a holiday and likes a bit of an activity I can't recommend it highly enough. Although I'm now shattered!

Back
Top Bottom