Terrible display on Flightsim 2020, Quest2 & RTX3090?

Associate
Even though I have a RTX3090, it is running with a dated Intel Core i7 6700K. It's not the ideal combination, but I have pre-ordered a new Z590 MB Bundle with the 11th gen Intel i9 11900K CPU. When I will receive that is any ones guess? Hopefully not weeks? I was eager to try out my Quest2 with MS Flightsim 2020 on VR, how disappointed I was by the performance and display. Not much better than when I had the GTX980Ti? I expected there to be a bit of a bottleneck from the RTX3090 to the CPU, but not as bad as I thought. Probably just have to wait for the new MB, CPU bundle for VR. However, in normal monitor mode Flightsim2020 is hugely better, now runs in 4K with ultra settings, and looks superb. Even the most fastest PCs struggles a bit with VR. I think VR is far too demanding for the present technology. Any views?

Soldato
FS2020 is single core CPU limited. It's not optimised for multicore processors currently, which seems to be the big source of its performance issues, not GPU power when you're using a 3090.

VR is demanding, but competently coded and designed games work very well on it. The biggest issues seem to come from 2D games that are converted to VR and which don't perform well on modern high-resolution headsets even on monster hardware. No Mans Sky, Subnautica and FS2020 are good examples of this.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’ve flown FS2020 once in the last month, and that was just to see if performance had improved. It hasn’t.

If you want a decent VR experience whilst FS is sorted, go take a look at IL2 (often very cheap) or DCS (which can be downloaded for free to checkout a couple of fairly simple aircraft). Sure, the maps are limited in scope, but the flying experience in both are better than FS.

Back
Top Bottom