Terry Pratchett dies :(

Associate
Stolen from twitter, this is how TP's people signed him off

6igx74.jpg

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Probably. Surrounded by his family at home in bed. It takes a while to die from Alzheimer's itself unless you're like in your 80s or 90s.

The publishers statement was that he died naturally as a result of complications from the Alzheimer's.

I'm glad that he passed without having to endure a decline in mental faculties like so many Alzheimer's sufferers.

Permabanned
The publishers statement was that he died naturally as a result of complications from the Alzheimer's.

Probably because assisted suicide is still illegal here. If I had alzheimers and was topping myself, or my family were helping me, the way the law is now I wouldn't sing it from the rooftops.

Permabanned
It would be very easy to detect if his death had been assisted, I think it's a little disrespectful to him and his family assuming it was.

He has been very unwell for the past year, no one who knew him is very surprised that he has passed.

I do not think there is any suggestion that it was assisted.

Permabanned
It would be very easy to detect if his death had been assisted, I think it's a little disrespectful to him and his family assuming it was.

I don't see how. Terry was a big supporter of assisted suicide. So too are his family. Back in 2011 he even went as far as getting consent forms for a clinic in Switzerland.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/jun/12/pratchett-starts-process-to-end-his-life

He's been pretty prolific on social media up until the last few weeks. And then this out of the blue. Maybe he took a turn for the worse... but there's no way in the last few days he was posting his last thoughts on twitter, while in the last stages of Alzheimer's. The last stages are brutal.

Soldato
Commander Vines put it well: Now that's a bit of an embuggerance.

I met him in the late 1980's when he came to visit the Imperial College Science Fiction Society. Very funny and charming guy. There were only about 4 or 5 discworld books out then, but you could tell they were going to be something special even back then.

RIP :(

Caporegime
I don't see how. Terry was a big supporter of assisted suicide. So too are his family. Back in 2011 he even went as far as getting consent forms for a clinic in Switzerland.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/jun/12/pratchett-starts-process-to-end-his-life

He's been pretty prolific on social media up until the last few weeks. And then this out of the blue. Maybe he took a turn for the worse... but there's no way in the last few days he was posting his last thoughts on twitter, while in the last stages of Alzheimer's. The last stages are brutal.

Just because Terry and his family were a big supporter of it doesn't mean they would like to be accused of assisting his death.

As Castiel has said above he's been very unwell for a year and it's come to no surprise to those who knew him.

Soldato
Huge, huge shame.

His illness then this have taken a marvellous author from the world, gutted from a personal perspective and condolences to his family.

He'll at least leave a fantastic legacy behind him for generations to remember.

RIP.

Back
Top Bottom