The Tesla Thread

Soldato
See above... I didn't go for the grant, so may be cheaper if you factor that in.

yes i actually saw your comment a while back. Was gonna go for tesla charger, but that is excluded from grant as it's not 'smart' but it's cheap enough, but you need to put the extra device in the consumer box (a la lightning rod) but then I looked in to it and it seemed consensus was that is actually a little bit dodgy theoretically, so zappi solve 'it' a different way that seemed to reassure me so i just went with zappi the install said he's put a bunch in so just went ok then

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

yes i actually saw your comment a while back. Was gonna go for tesla charger, but that is excluded from grant as it's not 'smart' but it's cheap enough, but you need to put the extra device in the consumer box (a la lightning rod) but then I looked in to it and it seemed consensus was that is actually a little bit dodgy theoretically, so zappi solve 'it' a different way that seemed to reassure me so i just went with zappi the install said he's put a bunch in so just went ok then
I was considering the Zappi but after I saw how small the Easee was, the fact it can be untethered and how they daisy chain together, I changed my mind.

Andersen was my favourite when I found out about the recent issues with Zappi (because the tethered cable can be hidden) but it was literally double the cost of other units and would be an extra £200 upfront to future proof it if I wanted another (you have to buy the expansion module or you're SOL :().

The Tesla Destination charger looks nice but I also turned it down for the same reasons you did.

Soldato
The other one that caught my attention the other day was the Ohme pro, not a lot of information out there about it yet though. it looks to be tiny but you still need to deal with the cable somehow as with their other charger.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Are you talking about the new version 2 Tesla charger, as I thought that fixed the issue surrounding the first ones failures? :)
Sorry, I was referring to the fact that it was not "smart". I would like to be able to schedule charging and see how much it's costing etc.

Also, if I put 2x Tesla chargers on the drive I know I will have to explain to my wife that she can use it with her Audi as undoubtably she will assume they're only for Teslas :rolleyes:

Soldato
Also, if I put 2x Tesla chargers on the drive I know I will have to explain to my wife that she can use it with her Audi as undoubtably she will assume they're only for Teslas :rolleyes:

Haha, that is funny, but I know what you mean, especially until the main Tesla network is opened up to the wider public, a lot of people think that about all of their destination charges even though a lot of them work fine with any vehicle.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

i've seen this phrase 'tesla destination charger' used a bit. And been looking at apps like zap app and stuff. What is 'destination charger'
Supercharger = the freestanding chargers you see at motorway service stations. Latest gen 3 can charge at 250kW
Destination charger = the Tesla home/wall style charger that you see at homes/offices/hotels. Latest gen 3 charge up to 7kW (single phase) or 22kW (3 phase).

Soldato
A destination charger is the term used to describe the same charger you have at home where you can basically plug in and leave it for a number of hours. They are low power typically 7kw and are designed for long stops like hotels, car parks etc.

If you did that in a rapid you’d have a line of rather irate EV drivers waiting for you when you got back.

For me public destination chargers are the most important part of the network, and they are the cheapest by an order of magnitude to deploy. They are one of the key enablers to allow people to ‘graze electrons’ (particularly those who don’t have home chargers) and keeps people away from rapids unless they absolutely need them. However, they are utterly lacking IMO and it’s a complete lack of foresight and that ‘I need to fill up like a petrol car’ mentality holding them back.

Soldato
Ok thanks

Inasked about etiquette the other day. And i know all this stuff will come as my experience grows but these destinations chargers it sounds like i could plug in and in many case either leave overnight, or go for a couple hours lunch or some other non time pressure activity and not cause upset since being a destination charger and not i suppose an ‘en route’ charger there should be no expectation that i will move off as soon as ive had my fill? (Although if i was in a restaurand i see someone waiting or looking i might move my car if it was charged enough etc politensss uada yada , or is it a everyman for themselve type scenario)?

Soldato
I think it’s fair to say context is everything.

For example, if you got to a hotel on 20% charge, you plug in and it isn’t due to finish charging until 3am then no it’s not inconsiderate if you didn’t move it until the morning. It probably would be if you left it there for longer than necessary (e.g. didn’t move it until 3pm the following day).

Likewise if you went to a public car park, plugged in at 90% and then proceeded to leave the car there for 6 hours after it finished would be considered inconsiderate.

Normally the cable locks to the car and the charge post so it’s not possible to unplug anyone until they return to the car and move it.

I would just use the public network in a way that I’d expect others to use it and just be considerate.

Soldato
Just been watching the first YT vids for Beta 10 and I'm almost ready to buy it myself now. I was waiting for the Model Y to combine the order but may just stick with the Model 3 for now. Trying to put it off until just before they announce another price increase.

Bad start position in the vid below as they should have started on a road where the car could clearly see two kerbs. Not meant for offroad use yet.

Soldato
Sorry I didn't mean to sound daft, but there's not normally that much mud on the roads so I find it funny they get called mud flaps (guess from rallying:confused:). I've never fitted any before so wasn't sure if there was a need or not.

Up here the grit and salt on the roads is pretty hefty during the winter, they do make a difference to previous cars ive owned just wondered if there was any thoughts here on this forum. ive read that the cheapy ones are not as good as the oem ones, but the rally armour ones work best but it you wanns stop chips onrear arches you need ppf as well

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Has any one fitted mud flaps to their model 3. Looks like you have 3 options tesla oem, amazon specials, or rally armor does anyone have any pics to share and experience?
These are highly recommended on some other forums. Clip on, no drilling and they're a decent fit :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Z7JVFN6/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=A776PKTUM7Y0U&psc=1

Does Tesla supply/fit the PPF for the rear arches and mud flaps in the UK? I've seen it mentioned that they do in some countries.

In some colder countries (Canada etc) they gave mud flaps to customers for free. I don't believe they gave PPF just a set of flaps with the extension that you can fit if you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom