The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Gave autopilot (The standard basic free one) a go for the 1st time today on the commute (At 5.15am so roads were dead) and was very impressed. The car managed 25 miles of the 30 miles total without any issues.

I just wish there was a half-way between 'always keeping your hand on the wheel' and 'being able to fall asleep in the passenger seat'. I agree, it works really well, but the hands on the wheel makes it somewhat redundant, for me at least. There is an internal camera and I wish there was a way of it making sure you were watching the road or something instead.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I just wish there was a half-way between 'always keeping your hand on the wheel' and 'being able to fall asleep in the passenger seat'. I agree, it works really well, but the hands on the wheel makes it somewhat redundant, for me at least. There is an internal camera and I wish there was a way of it making sure you were watching the road or something instead.
I agree in principle, but in what instance could you think of where you'd be using your hands AND watching the road?

Associate
I actually didn't find it too bad tbh. Elbow on the door arm rest and just enough weight on the wheel to keep the safety system happy. Got a 170 mile trip to Inverness next month. I'll be seeing just how far I can get with it.

Soldato
I think the standard autopilot is great, I tend to hold loosely with my hand at about the 4pm position and let go for short periods to get stuff but always eyes on road, or no less on road than a normal car when you look at the nav or whatever. I'm growing to know when it might be uncertain of where to go, some turn offs that are badly white lined on duel carriageways are a problem. It does love the middle and outside lane :)

I'm not sure I will ever upgarde to FSD, seems broken for the UK but maybe in time it will become worth having.

Caporegime
Had my test drive today in a performance model 3, impressed with it overall. Stopped at lights and it shows pedestrians crossing the road on the display as 3d models which was surprising, I know it does it for cars but seeing people show up on it made me laugh.

The one pedal driving takes a couple of minutes to get used to then its second nature gauging when to ease off the accelerator. Tried the 3 different steering modes and didn't notice any real difference between the 3 oddly enough, not sure what was going on there even at low speeds comfort mode still felt weighty. Little odd looking off to the left slightly to see your speed but again you adjust to it pretty quick.

Interior was nice, minimalistic is putting it mildly but it felt pretty well made. Steering wheel is chunky and feels nice in the hand. Only downside to the drive was brushing slightly against a curb and marking the black alloys, told them about it but they said it already had marks on it due to it being their demo car. Cars a bit wider than what I currently drive so misjudged the width slightly at crawling speed. Seen some posts on reddit that a guy in the u.s. done this and they charged him for replacement of the wheel, almost $2000! :eek:

Acceleration is mental as well, just takes off when you press the pedal down a bit, no lag just zoom. Impressed overall, now just need 48k. :p

Soldato
Gave autopilot (The standard basic free one) a go for the 1st time today on the commute (At 5.15am so roads were dead) and was very impressed. The car managed 25 miles of the 30 miles total without any issues.

With no music on at 70mph the thing is virtually silent but for the tyre noise on the "less maintained" patches of road surface. Its a nice way to travel to work.
Had my first phantom braking episode yesterday while on a dual carriageway. I was in the outside lane having just passed a car. I indicated to pull into the inside lane, there were no cars ahead of me for 300m but as I was merging across, there was a car parked in the layby at the side of the road. The car obviously thought I was going to plow into it and started slowing down a fair bit. It didn't slam the anchors on but it did catch me by surprise.

Soldato
Had my first phantom braking episode yesterday while on a dual carriageway. I was in the outside lane having just passed a car. I indicated to pull into the inside lane, there were no cars ahead of me for 300m but as I was merging across, there was a car parked in the layby at the side of the road. The car obviously thought I was going to plow into it and started slowing down a fair bit. It didn't slam the anchors on but it did catch me by surprise.

this was in autompilot mode, fsd or just driving normally ?

Soldato
i don't know if it intentional or not but the number of autopilot/autosteer/fsd/enhanced autopilot/fullautopilot / self drive/full drive, then there's hardware 1, and hardware 2.0 ? It's really confusing as to what is what tbh.

You said autopilot without autosteer? What does that mean ? Adaptive cruise that stops at traffic lights ?

Soldato
i don't know if it intentional or not but the number of autopilot/autosteer/fsd/enhanced autopilot/fullautopilot / self drive/full drive, then there's hardware 1, and hardware 2.0 ? It's really confusing as to what is what tbh.

You said autopilot without autosteer? What does that mean ? Adaptive cruise that stops at traffic lights ?
I was trying to use what Tesla calls it in the manual. But effectively Autopilot = adaptive cruise control, autosteer = lane keeping assist. So adaptive cruise control without the lane assist turned on.

Trying to avoid confusing people, mission failed :rolleyes:

Soldato
Had my test drive today in a performance model 3, impressed with it overall. Stopped at lights and it shows pedestrians crossing the road on the display as 3d models which was surprising, I know it does it for cars but seeing people show up on it made me laugh.

The one pedal driving takes a couple of minutes to get used to then its second nature gauging when to ease off the accelerator. Tried the 3 different steering modes and didn't notice any real difference between the 3 oddly enough, not sure what was going on there even at low speeds comfort mode still felt weighty. Little odd looking off to the left slightly to see your speed but again you adjust to it pretty quick.

Interior was nice, minimalistic is putting it mildly but it felt pretty well made. Steering wheel is chunky and feels nice in the hand. Only downside to the drive was brushing slightly against a curb and marking the black alloys, told them about it but they said it already had marks on it due to it being their demo car. Cars a bit wider than what I currently drive so misjudged the width slightly at crawling speed. Seen some posts on reddit that a guy in the u.s. done this and they charged him for replacement of the wheel, almost $2000! :eek:

Acceleration is mental as well, just takes off when you press the pedal down a bit, no lag just zoom. Impressed overall, now just need 48k. :p

Glad you had a good experience! The acceleration (even on the SR+) never gets boring.

Caporegime
Glad you had a good experience! The acceleration (even on the SR+) never gets boring.

I did find it odd that the steering options never seemed to make much of a difference, tried all 3 and didnt notice much between them, was only doing regular roads during the test so maybe its more noticable at motorway speeds? I expected comfort mode to be really light but it never really seemed much different from standard. Suprised there wasn't a speed sensitive option where it would weight up when going fast and get very light at maneuvering speeds.

Soldato
That's what I was expecting but they all felt the same, unless it was locked to a single mode somehow regardless of what option I chose.
I think on a test drive they lock out some features, I didn't try different driving modes when I did mine but I know it was locked on speed limit warnings (for obvious reasons) and it wouldn't surprise me if they locked out sports mode.

Back
Top Bottom