The Tesla Thread

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I agree, IMO by the time they rolled them out they would be redundant, battery tech is coming on extremely fast.

All changes take time, but the supercharge network is pretty vast on main routes and expanding quickly. Be good if everyone else took up the same charging standards

At the risk of going over the same ground over and over the main issue with these cars is the lack of power infrastructure to residential properties to support charging at home.

I am not sure how the funding for the upgrade of this will work if electric cars take off, the cost will be astronomical :(

Man of Honour
Quite.
The problem is that to do, say, a long drive across France, there aren't enough charging points along the way, and a journey that currently sees me stopping one for fuel and taking 11 hours would take me many days and involve waiting around for the car to charge.

So just rent a car.

Electric car arguments always got he same way, no matter how good they get there is always a bunch of people saying 'YEA BUT I CANT DRIVE TO VLADIVOSTOCK ON A SINGLE CHARGE'.

Your transport mix doesn't always have to consist of only a single car solution, you know.

The majority of motorists do not make regular 260+ mile drives in one day. Some do, of course, but most do not.

Soldato
The Average person does 150 Miles a week according to the BBC so this would be fine for 2 weeks worth of travel. Then simply leave it on charge overnight while your sleeping and your good to go for another 2 weeks. Sounds good to me.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;28035455 said:
So just rent a car.

Electric car arguments always got he same way, no matter how good they get there is always a bunch of people saying 'YEA BUT I CANT DRIVE TO VLADIVOSTOCK ON A SINGLE CHARGE'.

Your transport mix doesn't always have to consist of only a single car solution, you know.

The majority of motorists do not make regular 260+ mile drives in one day. Some do, of course, but most do not.

I think in an ideal world, we'd all love to own 2 cars. The only reason electric is cheap now is because not many people are using it.

If they do catch on and everybody trades in their petrol cars tomorrow the government will have to find the money lost in fuel duty, fuel VAT and road fund license from elsewhere. Specific taxes for the ability to charge your vehicle at home anybody ?

If I had the cash I'd go out and buy a Tesla Model S P85D tomorrow and use it as an everyday car. Then have something petrol and v8 for fun on the weekends.

But i'm not so for now I'll just have to stick with my petrol car. I get the feeling by the time that electric cars with as little compromises as the P85D become affordable, they will already be as expensive as combustion engine motoring.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm hoping that all cars are self-driven by the time my kids are old enough to drive! :D

Ah so the robotic autonomy of the average commuter via public transport can forward to personal transport :D

IMO it will have its uses but fully self driving cars will take away the fun in driving, if all cars of the future are that way inclined.

Soldato
If Tesla haven't gone belly up before this car is launched then it could be something very exciting indeed!

At the risk of going over the same ground over and over the main issue with these cars is the lack of power infrastructure to residential properties to support charging at home.

I am not sure how the funding for the upgrade of this will work if electric cars take off, the cost will be astronomical :(
Don't worry, Tesla will sell you a battery to stick to the wall of your house to tide you over throughout the outages as the national grid goes into meltdown post commute every night :D

Soldato
OP
Interesting to hear everyone's opinions, I just really hope they stick at the price point and specs mentioned in the article I linked.

Only time will tell I guess :D

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;28035455 said:
So just rent a car.

You're right of course.

I wonder as and when electric becomes more popular with more charging points etc... whether or not rental companies will start charging more/less for their services?

Soldato
If the infrastructure was better I think they would make a nice company car and I have to do up to 400 miles in a day. It would mean having to plan in 30 minute breaks here and there to fast charge it to 80% or whatever a fast charge gets you but that would be a positive thing for me.

Soldato
Tesla S class was a serious consideration when I was shopping for new cars a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was too high a price for something that can't be taken on epic road trips, and I ended up going for an Audi S3 instead. Very happy to see prices on the way down though. I hope that by the time I come to replace the Audi, buying an electric car will be a no-brainer. The range will be vastly improved, recharging will be quicker, recharging points will be more commonplace, and the price will have come down even further.

I live in hope, because I really want electric cars to become excellent. They just weren't quite excellent enough this time around.

Soldato
Currently awaiting more details on the Model 3. Could be a serious contender for my next car. If 200 mile range or more (Has to be surely?), then would be more than suitable for 99% of my journeys.

In theory would save me around £2,500 a year in fuel, including charging cost, and that would go a long way towards the purchase price (Factoring over 3-5 years) compared to buying an equivalent BMW for example. Not to mention you have £4,500 grant from the government straight off the bat, although it depends how this is factored into Tesla's pricing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom