The Tesla Thread

Soldato
im sure ill figure this out but can tesla mate prpvide stats on work/private mileage and all the info about how mich charge was taken on and where and efficiancy of each trip etc?

Yup, it's far more detailed than Teslafi if anything. Provides more stats than you could ever have a use for, including efficiency of trips, max kw/bhp used, total charges and kw per individual charger etc, and you have access to the raw database for creating your own formula.

Wouldn't this sort of app drain your battery? It's polling the car 24/7 and uploading it to the cloud :confused:

Nope, not at all. The car delivers all this data (and more) back to Tesla where its stored anyway, the 'apps' just scalp it off as it passes through, so to speak. And as above, they can be set not to poll or wake the car if it's asleep etc.

Soldato
Wouldn't this sort of app drain your battery? It's polling the car 24/7 and uploading it to the cloud :confused:
It has the potential to. If you're constantly poling the API for data then the car never goes to sleep and so uses more energy, even when sitting still doing "nothing".
What things like Teslafi and Teslamate do is have sleep periods that stop asking for data if certain conditions are met...things like the car being in Park. They will stop polling for 20-30 minutes and then check if the car is asleep.

There's an API endpoint you can query that shows if the car is asleep or online. You can query this as often as you like and it will never wake the car. If this query returns that the car is online then you start polling the live data again.

Soldato
Well I put Tesla mate on, did a 180 mile drive and was kind stoked to check out the data. But it had loads of duplicate data, it said I'd done 300+ drives but i've only done 8. It's hard to navigate, It seems like an unfinished pet project to be honest, the navigation interface is so weird I can't seem to navigate about it properly .

So I fired up teslafi, I wish i'd realised there was a trial before I did my test inaugral drive. Anyway a day later and some more drives, WOW teslafi has excelle info, presented in for more useable way that tesla mate. Unless I'm missing something, teslamate is a pile of rubbish. It seems broken. Tesfi has nailed all the data drill down stuff. I can't get anything near as useful as this on teslamate 6u6bc1w.png
jCf4ivI.jpg
and the default layout on teslafi actually makes sense.

I'm gonna call it now (after 3 days) that teslamate is like android and teslafi is like ios. The former is 'open' and 'free' and you can customise it etc. The latter you pay for and it works and its setup to do what you need, no messing....

Any body else have any experience with either ?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Picked up my Model 3 LR on Saturday. I was grinning for ear to ear whilst I pulled away silently.

On the way back I stopped in the motorway services (about 20 mins from home) where I knew there was supercharger. I didn't need to as the predicted battery on arrival was 63% but I thought "why not?" and as it was a nice day I used the time to sit and mess about with the settings. One nice bonus was that Zap-Map (and the Tesla maps) showed these particular chargers as 120kw but when I got there they were the newer 250kw chargers. I plugged in and was getting 192 miles/hour straight away :D I'd say it took me 20 mins to get from 65% to 100% and the charging speed really slowed down for the last 5 mins, but it gave me time to use the toilet which was well needed after 2hrs driving. 1000 free supercharger miles too. Winning.

Everyone that has seen the car has been suitably impressed. I took my brothers and dad out for a spin yesterday lunch time and they couldn't get over the speed and torque. Put your foot down at any speed and you're quickly in to triple figures with no warning. I had a play with autopilot too and couldn't fault the way it behaved on a mix of roads.. there's no way I'd pay a big whack for the full self driving but if they go to a subscription model I'd consider it.

Soldato
Enjoy! It’s worth noting you shouldn’t habitually charge beyond 90% unless you really need it. It’s bad for battery longevity (the app and screen should recommend 90% for daily driving and 100% for trip). As you experienced as well it’s so slow at the top it’s pointless on a trip anyway.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Enjoy! It’s worth noting you shouldn’t habitually charge beyond 90% unless you really need it. It’s bad for battery longevity (the app and screen should recommend 90% for daily driving and 100% for trip). As you experienced as well it’s so slow at the top it’s pointless on a trip anyway.
Aye, I only charged it to 100% because it was the first day of ownership and wanted to get home with a full battery. My daily limit is 80% :)

Soldato
Picked up my Model 3 LR on Saturday. I was grinning for ear to ear whilst I pulled away silently.

On the way back I stopped in the motorway services (about 20 mins from home) where I knew there was supercharger. I didn't need to as the predicted battery on arrival was 63% but I thought "why not?" and as it was a nice day I used the time to sit and mess about with the settings. One nice bonus was that Zap-Map (and the Tesla maps) showed these particular chargers as 120kw but when I got there they were the newer 250kw chargers. I plugged in and was getting 192 miles/hour straight away :D I'd say it took me 20 mins to get from 65% to 100% and the charging speed really slowed down for the last 5 mins, but it gave me time to use the toilet which was well needed after 2hrs driving. 1000 free supercharger miles too. Winning.

Everyone that has seen the car has been suitably impressed. I took my brothers and dad out for a spin yesterday lunch time and they couldn't get over the speed and torque. Put your foot down at any speed and you're quickly in to triple figures with no warning. I had a play with autopilot too and couldn't fault the way it behaved on a mix of roads.. there's no way I'd pay a big whack for the full self driving but if they go to a subscription model I'd consider it.
I wish I could relive this moment. Once you've owned an EV for a while, whilst it never gets old, you never quite get that same initial feeling again :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

What do you think to the blue? I think I've settled on blue myself.
Having seen the blue in a show room and out on the road, it's a very nice colour. You won't be disappointed :cool:

I almost went blue, but decided to go black because I had a blue car before my last and wanted something different. I plan on getting the car wrapped too.

Accessories I've added already:
  • Rubber cup holder insert (essential if you don't want to spill a coffee/drink)
  • Centre console tray (adds a layer for sunglasses etc and makes the space a bit more friendly - by default it's just a giant opening)
  • Velcro number plate mounting (the OEM plate holders are lolMassive)
  • Screen protector (not a requirement but a nice bit of protection and the screen is everything)
  • Clip on mud flaps (the OEM ones are small but don't really offer much in the way of protection to the sills)

Associate
Velcro number plate mounting (the OEM plate holders are lolMassive)
Interesting, do you have a link for this? I've come across the simple vinyl plates, but velcro seem a lot more tempting.

What do you think to the blue? I think I've settled on blue myself.
I've ordered blue. I like the white, but I see them the most due to being cheaper.
But 4 out of my 6 cars have been blue, so I'm probably a little biased.

Last edited:
Soldato
Despite all of my moaning about my last Model 3 in this thread, I am coming around to the idea of getting another one due to slipping timelines for my ID.3 order.

Does anyone have any experience with 360 degree car seats for up to 4 year olds in the forward-facing configuration (like this one) behind the driver's seat? Do they force you to push the seat forward so much that it compromises your driving position? For reference, I am 178cm (5ft 10") tall.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Interesting, do you have a link for this? I've come across the simple vinyl plates, but velcro seem a lot more tempting.
Here we go: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TC6NN8K

I went with these over vinyl plates because a) vinyl plates aren't technically legal b) you can either remove the entire plate holder and stick the velcro directly on the bumper or you can remove the front frame piece of the plate holder and stick it to the rear bit. The video example below shows this latter approach using sticky tape, but I'll be doing the same with velcro as I don't fancy removing the entire holder.

Despite all of my moaning about my last Model 3 in this thread, I am coming around to the idea of getting another one due to slipping timelines for my ID.3 order.

Does anyone have any experience with 360 degree car seats for up to 4 year olds in the forward-facing configuration (like this one) behind the driver's seat? Do they force you to push the seat forward so much that it compromises your driving position? For reference, I am 178cm (5ft 10") tall.

Silly question, but why not put the car seat behind the passenger seat? I'm 6ft and there's plenty of room behind the seat for passengers, so I couldn't see an issue with that seat. I haven't measured it though.

Soldato
Silly question, but why not put the car seat behind the passenger seat?

Not silly at all. If you backtrack through my posts, you'll see that I've mentioned once or twice that my partner found my previous Model 3 to be extremely uncomfortable because there was zero space under the driver's seat to put her feet. From memory, the passenger's seat was marginally better so if I did get another one I'd almost certainly have to put the car seat behind the driver's seat.

I'm trying not to end up in an "I told you so" situation, but given how dire the car market is right now, a Model 3 is sensibly priced and available quite quickly. I do like them overall which is why I'd get another one, but I'm fighting an uphill battle with the Mrs.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Ah, I recall. Your mrs is the one that sits in the back with the baby?

Get the car and tell her to STFU and sit in the front like a normal person :p

Soldato
Ah, I recall. Your mrs is the one that sits in the back with the baby?

Get the car and tell her to STFU and sit in the front like a normal person :p

That's the one. As I think @Russinating said, I have a reputation around these parts :p

I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately on long journeys 2 year olds require a lot of attention. I've been assured he'll get better once he hits 3.

So, about that car seat experience? ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom