The Tesla Thread

Associate
How would it work if you have Octopus Go and set it to charge between 00:30-04:30, but would also like to have a scheduled departure time of 08:00?
Does the car still draw power from the charger at 08:00, or the car?

Associate
Yes definitely.
I just wondered where the power would come from at 8am and if it was even possible to have both scheduled charge and preconditioning at different times.
I guess the way around this is to only use scheduled charging and manually heat the car before leaving. Which was my plan before coming across scheduled departure.

Soldato
How would it work if you have Octopus Go and set it to charge between 00:30-04:30, but would also like to have a scheduled departure time of 08:00?

I had the same questions when I first got an EV. Basically the chargers in my mind are dumb, not smart. I think the answer to your question is that the car will continue to charge until it's full (or up to the level you set). So if you go into the car settings, and set it to charge the battery to 80% it will carry on charging past 04:30 until it hits 80%. What we do, is charge the car when it gets down to about 50% ensuring that it can hit 80% within the 4hr cheap period. If you drop the car down to 5% you are going to go past the 4:30 cheap rate cutoff point.

Remember, the charger doesn't know the current level of the battery. It will just provide power when told to do so until the car tells it to stop. If you have a scheduled time of 08:00 and you are on 70% and put it on charge, the charger won't know the car only needs 10% charge, it will just start at 00:30 regardless.

Associate
Hi All. Just deciding between a model 3 or a Model Y. I have a difficult life situation potentially coming up, and might need to get rid of the car in say 6 months or so. Which out of the two, and which spec would retain the most value at 6 months old, should I be forced to sell ? Mehul

Soldato
Hi All. Just deciding between a model 3 or a Model Y. I have a difficult life situation potentially coming up, and might need to get rid of the car in say 6 months or so. Which out of the two, and which spec would retain the most value at 6 months old, should I be forced to sell ? Mehul

Doesn't sound like you should be buying such an expensive car at this stage. Can't you wait six months and then decide?

Soldato
And either will be delivered for 4 months either way.
As mentioned - Both the 3 and Y have early 2022 for delivery. Seems totally pointless buying a new car for a couple of months of use.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It will only charge between 00:30 and 04:30.

After that, charging stops and it’ll use your battery to precondition/preheat the cabin.

Soldato
Congrats all! Had my SR+ just coming up to two years and driving it never gets old.

There's a few accessories I'd recommend, including the cup holder from AbstractOcean, their console wraps which I applied on day one, and the official Tesla cargo boot liner.

Soldato
Thanks !

I have an ever growing pile of accessories here by my desk :D

Just called Tesla CS to see when I'll get the reg number allocated so i can sort my insurance and advised 2/3 weeks ahead of collection.

Whilst on I took the opportunity to ask about which variant I'm getting ......

305 miles range
"Old motor" so "faster" / "old" [email protected] seconds
Heated rear seats
Heated steering wheel

Well chuffed!!

Associate
Thanks !

I have an ever growing pile of accessories here by my desk :D

Just called Tesla CS to see when I'll get the reg number allocated so i can sort my insurance and advised 2/3 weeks ahead of collection.

Whilst on I took the opportunity to ask about which variant I'm getting ......

305 miles range
"Old motor" so "faster" / "old" [email protected] seconds
Heated rear seats
Heated steering wheel

Well chuffed!!
Awesome congratulations.

I’ve just placed an order for a Model 3 LR in blue. Delivery is next month. What’s the difference between the old motor and new?

There’s a handful of leasing brokers who have a delivery of 100 Model 3’s which need to be delivered before Xmas eve.

Does anyone have a work place salary sacrifice scheme which they’ve used to purchase one?

Soldato
Cheers !

From what I understand you can tell which motor by the 8th character in your VIN number

A is the rear motor from the performance model (5.3 0-60) and J is the rear motor from the Y (5.6 0-60). Hence why some customers are being told longer range with the faster acceleration or longer range with the slower acceleration.

The newer battery packs and / or software tweaks have eeked the longer range

Soldato
Seems odd to not know specs of cars you order.

surely the “slower” car is now cos it’s not only got a bigger battery but also less energy dense chemistry so it’s simply heavier to effect the physics of the car rather than a motor change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom