The Tesla Thread

Soldato
I really liked the "no sell" approach at the dealers. My last three cars have been BMW's, the first from Chandlers then two from TRL. Chandlers properly "dealered" me and I felt like a mug when I found out how special the deal I was sold wasn't, I then learned and found TRL and he's so much better to deal with, one price and its a good one and you know you have got a great price and wonder about all the people that pay book value or base dealer incentive discount only. Tesla was just here is the price and nobody can do better. Much better as far as i'm concerned.

Drove my 3 to the O2 and back from Worthing yesterday, absolute doddle, I'd say 80% of my return journey on (base spec) autopilot.

Soldato
Ditto. The one thing I loved was that the only options are basically SR/LR/P? + Colour? + Tow Hitch? Rest of the software options can be added later. Compared to basically any other new car I've bought and there must be a million and one combinations and confusing packs where you need to become rainman to work out if it's better to buy the cruise control and heated seats separately or the "Driver's Comfort" pack which includes a couple of other things you don't really care about.

Or deliberately splitting the more desirable options between different packs meaning the only way to get them is to buy said packs. It is one of the things that put me off the Polestar 2, I'd need to buy £7k in packs to get the options I actually wanted (panoramic roof and adaptive cruise).

Soldato
Ditto. The one thing I loved was that the only options are basically SR/LR/P? + Colour? + Tow Hitch? Rest of the software options can be added later. Compared to basically any other new car I've bought and there must be a million and one combinations and confusing packs where you need to become rainman to work out if it's better to buy the cruise control and heated seats separately or the "Driver's Comfort" pack which includes a couple of other things you don't really care about.

agree - Can't standing going to a dealers.

Two years ago trying to buy a car for the wife - knew what she wanted - looked online, quotes from Carwow etc - In to local dealers - Told them the spec and car we wanted, here's the prices from online.

Next thing I know - sales guy and manager are trying to upsell about £8k of extras, financing, service plans, larger wheels, upgrades etc etc. I get that's their job, but they weren't in the slightest listening to the "customer". Then the barrage of phone calls/emails after we left trying to knock £5 a month off the monthlies etc - just embarrassing listening to them almost begging for the sale.

Tesla - order online, pay deposit, done in 5 minutes. Move on....

Associate
Looking at a few over here in Belfast, looks like nothing is available in the performance bracket.

If I go Tesla it has to be 650bhp+ to make it interesting.

Saw a few used 90d and 100d going for like 45k, might be worth it but no warranty.

Soldato
650bhp is knocking on the door of sub 3 seconds 0-60 in electric form.

To get that sort of performance from an ICE you are effectively in £X00,000 super car territory as a daily drive.

It just seems like a bit of an odd metric to pick as a ‘must have’. I guess it is actually available if you want it.

Associate
For context what do you have now?

520bhp M4

m4.jpeg

650bhp is knocking on the door of sub 3 seconds 0-60 in electric form.

To get that sort of performance from an ICE you are effectively in £X00,000 super car territory as a daily drive.

It just seems like a bit of an odd metric to pick as a ‘must have’. I guess it is actually available if you want it.

EV's are super super heavy, even a 650bhp Tesla won't beat my M4 from a roll.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going Model Y long range with a delivery date in early Jan. I've cancelled the Model 3 order - the Y will suit our family better.

Looking forward to delivery :)

Soldato
I'm going Model Y long range with a delivery date in early Jan. I've cancelled the Model 3 order - the Y will suit our family better.

Looking forward to delivery :)

If you’re in the UK, you have got zero chance of getting a Y in early Jan or Jan at all since Tesla always deliver in the last 6 weeks of each quarter. At the VERY best we might see them start being delivered halfway through Feb since it takes 30 days for a shipment to make its way from Shanghai.

Last edited:
Soldato
520bhp M4

Nice car, I doubt an EV (unless you look at the Plaid) will give you the same kind of excitement.

The Model 3 performance is 1,847kg with 660Nm of instant torque, I was surprised as less than I had imagined. At a low-speed roll, it might well get the jump briefly on the M4, but not once you get closer to peak torque then no competition (also consider gear changes).

Associate
Nice car, I doubt an EV (unless you look at the Plaid) will give you the same kind of excitement.

The Model 3 performance is 1,847kg with 660Nm of instant torque, I was surprised as less than I had imagined. At a low-speed roll, it might well get the jump briefly on the M4, but not once you get closer to peak torque then no competition (also consider gear changes).

Looked at both Plaid and Model S new but both are saying 2023 for delivery (which is a pity as I beleive there are lots of tax savings to be had if you get one with salary sacrifice and are a higher tax rate payer).

Could get a used P100D for 45k now.

Had a roll race with a model 3 performance recently and although he got the jump initially after a second I passed him like he was still...

I'm interested in EV's but they would need to be seriously quick for me to consider it.

Soldato
Looked at both Plaid and Model S new but both are saying 2023 for delivery.

Could get a used P100D for 45k now.

Had a roll race with a model 3 performance recently and although he got the jump initially after a second I passed him like he was still...

I'm interested in EV's but they would need to be seriously quick for me to consider it.

lol, how old are you... well actually you sound pretty much like a typical M car driver so maybe it's just that!

Lets face facts, that M4 is like a dinosaur in comparison to a model 3 performance, the ease of driving (one pedal/autopilot and the far better infotainment alone should be seen as a major draw coming from that BMW).

The main point of an EV is the instant acceleration from a stop, to pull out at junctions / roundabouts etc. and to overtake within reasonable limits, not to drag race back alley modded M cars. :confused: Seems like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about Tesla's being fast?

At the end of the day you can have as much HP as you like in an ICE car, you're going to get beaten 9 times out of 10 when instant acceleration is called for and we're not going into straight to prison speeds.

Caporegime
EV will never match the involvement and driving experience of a car like the M4. Unless you only got your M4 for straight line performance and you are deaf of course

Caporegime
lol, how old are you... well actually you sound pretty much like a typical M car driver so maybe it's just that!

Lets face facts, that M4 is like a dinosaur in comparison to a model 3 performance, the ease of driving (one pedal/autopilot and the far better infotainment alone should be seen as a major draw coming from that BMW).

The main point of an EV is the instant acceleration from a stop, to pull out at junctions / roundabouts etc. and to overtake within reasonable limits, not to drag race back alley modded M cars. :confused: Seems like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about Tesla's being fast?
The main point of a EV is cheap running costs to be honest. You can match ‘instant acceleration’ with many performance cars.
Some people want more than one pedal driving and some silly iPad as a dash. Most people like the speedo in front of them for a start. Sounds like you are calling out this guy on something when it seems he’s open to a EV and you are coming across as the Tesla fan boy ?

Soldato
520bhp M4

It’s not the weight that’s all about the gearing. Electric is normally faster than ICE similar power levels under 100mph, sure an ICE will come past an electric car beyond that but you are talking speeds well in excess of what’s both legal and sensible on a road.

Its the single speed gearing that runs out of puff eventually as it’s normally set up to give everything it’s got at legal speeds and there isn’t gear changes slowing it down.

That said I’m not surprised you beat a model 3 performance, it’s down a good 70bhp down on you so not exactly like for like.

Weight obviously impacts handling but if you want the power you need a big battery but the model 3 holds its own against an M3 on a track lap times so it’s a fairly nuanced conversation.

Associate

At the end of the day you can have as much HP as you like in an ICE car, you're going to get beaten 9 times out of 10 when instant acceleration is called for and we're not going into straight to prison speeds.

Not sure why you are being so salty.

I'm interested in an EV but it needs to be fast as I already have an M4 and I'm accustomed to it's speed.

Not exactly sure what's wrong with that?

BTW, I'll be keeping both cars as the M4 will be the weekend warrior so not changing from M4 to Tesla.

Back
Top Bottom