The Tesla Thread

Soldato
What’s the real range of a Performance at 70mph? Weighing up various electric cars and trying to get some real numbers of different cars.

The problem is that no-one runs their car from 100-0. If you don't have a specific regular long journey in mind then you are better looking at efficiency in terms of miles per kW and in charging speed. Those two together dictate very long journey times, as the more you use, the more you need to put in.

Sadly you cannot use the headline figures for charging speed as different cars exhibit different charging speeds at different charge levels.

Caporegime
I’m currently debating a few EVs and although the interior is sparse/dull, I keep coming back to the Model 3 simply because of its energy density, range and access to the Tesla charging network.

I’m trying to decide if I’m better off getting a 12-18 month old Performance, or a new Long Range. The 2021 changes seem to mainly be the heat pump and usb-c/wireless charging, is that right? The small amount of additional range isn’t really a deciding factor, the wheels and brakes of the Performance are attractive though.

I’ve also driven the Q4 E-tron and the i4, but neither really wowed me, they just seemed to be trying to cater to ICE drivers, not really gaining from the potential benefits of building an EV from the ground up.

Soldato
Just on the interior, I initially though the same and it really out me off. Coming from many years of Beemers, Audi's and Mercs it felt a real step down.

A month into ownership and I'm completely the opposite and love the sleek minimalist interior. Don't feel like it's any compromise at all (in that department).

As for the LR versus the P what is more important to you the slightly longer range or quicker acceleration?

I've not looked recently but the price difference between new and second hand may not be that great ....

Caporegime
As for the LR versus the P what is more important to you the slightly longer range or quicker acceleration?

I've not looked recently but the price difference between new and second hand may not be that great ....
As I said, the range of the P is more than enough for me, the attraction of the P is the brakes (for the handful of times I drive it hard enough to need the brakes over regen), the wheels, and the lower suspension.

The price of used examples isn’t massively reduced over new, but, crucially it would allow for instant purchase, as well as essentially make the used P the same price as a new LR.

What I do need to see is both the red and blue in the flesh at the same time, as online they look far brighter than they are in real life, and 90% of the Model 3s I’ve seen on the road are washing machine white.

Soldato
Take both put for a test drive and look at the two colours side by side while you're there?

You could even pop along and see them at a collection centre ?

Agree about the white (I went black) but probably, personally, prefer the red over blue

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Long range with the performance boost (software upgrade) for +£1500.

Apart from the adaptive suspension it’s the best config as you’ll have range and the speed.

Soldato
I think the only people that don't see the acceleration boost option are people on leases? I'd say the LR with Boost is the best pick but if you really want the bits the performance offers then go for it although for me a brand new LR+ has to be the best buy.

Soldato
I think the only people that don't see the acceleration boost option are people on leases? I'd say the LR with Boost is the best pick but if you really want the bits the performance offers then go for it although for me a brand new LR+ has to be the best buy.

People who own Model 3s with the new LG 82kWh pack also don’t see the acceleration boost option in the app, regardless of their finance agreement.

@paradigm whatever you get, make sure it’s a Made in China car. They are a LOT better put together than the Fremont cars.

Soldato
People who own Model 3s with the new LG 82kWh pack also don’t see the acceleration boost option in the app, regardless of their finance agreement.

@paradigm whatever you get, make sure it’s a Made in China car. They are a LOT better put together than the Fremont cars.
I think all LR are now the larger 82kWh packs. I’ve also seen the China ones are much better put together.

Soldato
Daft. Long range test and the bigger batteries start at 90%. The more I see that guy the more I just realise he’s a sales gopher.

Tesla play beta tester, push batteries so as an air of caution this 90% limit has washed across all EV drivers. In terms of LFP Really they are relying on voltage to show state of charge as as LFP plateaus after 90% so it’s like to encourage 100% to help the battery management system calibrate where the top of the pack is.

yet it’s marketed as some sort of Hero cell when really it’s a cost saving heavy chemistry! I’ll keep watching the video…

Fairly sure the range figures at the end of the video was given for 100-0 and not 90-0, the starting % was kind of irrelevant anyway as they only went 150 miles or so. That was the main point for posting it anyway.

Agree on the 90% chat at the start though, perhaps he should have just said 'those were just starting at 90% but the final numbers at the end will be 100-0, not starting at 100% is irrelevant as we will be waiting for the SR car to recharge at the turn around point anyway'.

Soldato
Yeah I realised that after watching video :cry:

still for efficiency there’s something to be said for higher voltage (less current for same power) so still doesn’t sit right for apples for apples then the extrapolation of the numbers from an intega %…

And that 3D graph. WTAF :p:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I realised that after watching video :cry:

still for efficiency there’s something to be said for higher voltage (less current for same power) so still doesn’t sit right for apples for apples then the extrapolation of the numbers to from intega %…

And that 3D graph. WTAF :p:eek:

It was close enough I think, I'm sure there is also plenty of experience going into those numbers also. I somehow manage to forget about that graph, I could hardly read it :p

Back
Top Bottom