The Tesla Thread

Soldato
So I had my first experience away from home on the public charging network with my Model 3 this weekend. Here is how it went...

My RWD Model 3 was at the detailers this week getting a ceramic coating put on, when I got it back after work on Friday night (25 mins each way to the detailer) we 'only' had 82% when we left and the battery was stone cold. I think we had a realistic 160 miles left (it was 2C on Friday night) and we were heading to the Oxford area. The plan was to juice up to 85% at the Wyboston supercharger which should have given me enough to get back to the same supercharger on Sunday afternoon. The backup plan was to bail out on the way back at MK and find a BP charger or go to the super charger on the M40 before heading home if needed.

Got down to Wyboston with about 45%, I think the pre-heat sucked up a lot of batter power. It was pulling 140kw initially and was still pulling 48kw at 91% by the time I finished the KFC (20-25 mins). I think I got to my destination at around 64%.

We went up to Blenheim Palace and then went into the centre of Oxford for something to eat on Saturday evening. I snagged a free 7kw charger in the Westgate shopping centre. It's quite a good set up there, 45 7kw chargers but they were very 'busy', lots of EV's and PHEV's actually charging but 1/3 of the bays were ICED. I think I got pretty lucky getting space as there were not any others free. I charged from about 50% to about 75% in the time we were there.

On the way back on Sunday my wife wanted to stop at Bicester Village and we managed to snag the last free charge post there too. They've got 14 22kw chargers according to zap map, we were only there for about 2.5 hours and we were brimmed back up to 100% about 5 mins before we got back to the car. On the way back we stopped off at a couple of places in Milton Keynes and the in laws near Cambridge and got back with 47%.

To sum up, the super charger network is good but really the hero of the trip was destination the chargers. Not because they were free, but because in reality, for most of the time the car was parked and actually I wouldn't have needed the superchargers at all if there was a plentiful supply of 7kw chargers that could be relied upon. The issue is that they can't, hence plan A was basically to ignore them.

I think I have said a few times on here that the key to this whole EV thing is cheap AC chargers and lots of them. DC chargers get all the sexy headlines and do enable those really long trips but when you are doing medium length trips, a wide deployment of 7kw chargers is far more beneficial. I only did about 300 miles over the weekend and no stint was particularly long either, certainly not long enough for me to stop normally.

This might be controversial but I think they need to charge for AC units, those that need them would stand a far better chance of getting on one if you had to pay the going rate. I doubt many of those topping up in the centre of oxford actually needed to use them but as its free, it basically offsets the cost of parking. Some enforcement of ICEing, and a sensible approach to cars not charging/idle fees wouldn't go a miss either.

Our hotel actually had the hardware for 10 7kw chargers in the car park (public) but they were not actually yet commissioned and were out of use. They also looked like fairly dumb units that were not capable of taking payment which seems slightly short sighted. Perhaps a different kind of sensible policy would perhaps need to be applied to overnight parking. In time probably most hotel car parking spaces are going to need some kind of charging facility.

TLDR

I didn't have any problems, the car performed well, super chargers are good (could be better IMO, particularly east-west routes) but the wider public network needs some serious work IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
yet it’s(LFP) marketed as some sort of Hero cell when really it’s a cost saving heavy chemistry!

LFP's are meant to be increasing the number of recharge cycles by 3 (and probably helps maintain ability to deliver current fast, with ageing) - so it is a battery for life strategy, which should benefit 2nd hand owners, the comparison lr/perf/std videos can't show those characteristics.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Someone wanted a photo of the red…

I took this today, after dropping mine off. Again.

Soldato
Anyone know if the 3 new colours will be coming with the China models as well? Curious as when Berlin Gigafactory opens they will have MY with 3 extra colours but won’t be producing other vehicles for a while. Perhaps other factories would also do the extra colours when Berlin opens.

Soldato
Not sure any new colour is contingent on Berlin, it’s just changing the paint over and updating the website at the end of the day.

They used to do a wider range of colours back in the beginning before discontinuing them. The reason they got rid of them was to save in cost and making the inventory easier to manage.

Soldato
Not sure any new colour is contingent on Berlin, it’s just changing the paint over and updating the website at the end of the day.

They used to do a wider range of colours back in the beginning before discontinuing them. The reason they got rid of them was to save in cost and making the inventory easier to manage.
My thoughts also. I would expect a lot of customers wanting these colours if they see them released in other markets or on other vehicles.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Just go to a Tesla showroom.

They all have superchargers and you won’t need to wait long.

You won’t see many red in the real world but the first time I was there I saw blue, black, grey and white. I was sold on blue after seeing it in the show room but when I saw it outside I was disappointed.

The red I’ve seen outside though and that has always looked nice. FYI I went black :p:cry:

Soldato
Got a test drive booked in for Saturday.

Going to start calling around for quotes to get a charger installed. Did most of you get the official Tesla one? Does it make a difference which one you get?

Caporegime
I’m booked for a drive on Sunday at the “South Manchester” (Stockport) dealership, hopefully there will be a red and a blue hanging around :p

Think I’m pretty much sold on ordering new just because 2021 Performance models appear thin on the ground.

Soldato
I’m booked for a drive on Sunday at the “South Manchester” (Stockport) dealership, hopefully there will be a red and a blue hanging around :p

Think I’m pretty much sold on ordering new just because 2021 Performance models appear thin on the ground.

Don’t you have 2 kids? Why not get a long range Model Y?

Soldato
Booked in to get my wireless charging / usb c fitted tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it goes ahead.

Looks like the non-data version, so no Sonic until they sort out Bluetooth controllers. Not really a big deal imho.

Soldato
Going to start calling around for quotes to get a charger installed. Did most of you get the official Tesla one? Does it make a difference which one you get?

I think most of us don't get the Tesla charger. Just look around and see what you like the look of, they are all pretty much of a muchness unless you have a complex setup with Solar perhaps. Recommend tethered as its just easier when you get home to unwind and plug in. I have podpoint at home and SyncEV at work, both are good.

Soldato

Ah forgot about the Stockport one.

Did my test drive at Chester and picked up from Trafford Centre

Back
Top Bottom