tethering android tablet to my htc desire

Associate
I could really do with some help here please.

Im trying to use my htc desire as a wireless router for my android tablet. The tablet can see the htc and says connected but cannot load any web pages. Wi fi hot spot is turned on on the desire and ive re set defaults in the LAN settings. Ive tried different security options even no security at all doesnt help.

I could really use some help asap please. I go away soon and need it set up. Please give any instructions as simply as poss. Hi tech lingo isnt my thing ;) :o

Thanks in advance Rob.

Associate
OP
thanks for the quick reply.
Ive just tried it and *yes* i can, Top left hand corner has a 3G and the hot spot symbol underneath so i know its active and internet is working fine on the desire.

Associate
OP
ok, ive gone into the app launcher, clicked on wi fi hot spot, router name (SSID) is desire, sucurity is set to none and then clicked the on the portable wi fi hot spot at the top to turn it on. Is that what you mean by standard setting?

I then get

1, turn on wifi on your pc
2, find desire in the list of wi fi networks
3, select desire
4, start using the internet on your pc.

I then follow above instructiions on the tablet, find desire which has an excellent signal strength and then go to the home page and try to browse. BUT, still nothing apart from web page not available :(

Associate
OP
my sons samsung mob works tethered through the tablet and also just in case its important, the tablet works fine through my house router. We are on virgin media.

Associate
Networks shouldn't be able to tell the difference between tethered and normal network access. Have you got any other devices you could try to connect with, eg a laptop?

Associate
Really it sounds like your network is blocking tethering then. I would probably check with your mobile internet provider to make sure they actually allow this on whatever plan you are using.

Associate
OP
ok, will call them but my sons galaxy tethers ok through the tablet and he is with orange the same as me. Thats why i thought it was a techy setting on my desire.

Soldato
Networks shouldn't be able to tell the difference between tethered and normal network access. Have you got any other devices you could try to connect with, eg a laptop?

We can tell (I work for Orange) but that's probably beside the point here. OP - what network (and if appropriate - the app) are you using for the tether?

Soldato
Depending on the firmware that could be the orange tethering app which only works if you have tethering enabled on your account. Is it orange branded or more in line with htc/android branding?

Associate
OP
erm, im guessing its more htc/android tethering app from the app launcher bottom left on the home screen. How else can i try to tether? Btw, my firmware should be the latest. Its set to update automatically.

Associate
OP
Ive just tethered my lads samsung galaxy again with the tablet and it goes straight online. Hes with orange the same as me and using android hot spot app the same as me. Gotta be a setting on my htc !

Associate
Ive just tethered my lads samsung galaxy again with the tablet and it goes straight online. Hes with orange the same as me and using android hot spot app the same as me. Gotta be a setting on my htc !

It's more than likely your provider not letting you tether. Does your son have the same plan as you?

Aod

Aod

Soldato
It's more than likely your provider not letting you tether. Does your son have the same plan as you?

Errr, no. No UK networks block tethering as far as i know.
The traffic from a tethered Android Device and the original android device would look practically identical anyway.

Back
Top Bottom