Thanks Vodafone

Soldato
'use as a carrier'? That doesn't seem to make any sense in this context.

I believe that TalkTalk use Vodafone for their mobile offering, but that's irrelevant.

Associate
Yes.
You will find people who will tell you they managed to get their PPoE username/password so they can use their own equipment. The number of people who do have this information is tiny. I've personally tried every single avenue open to me, including letters to the UK CEO and it has gone nowhere.
The Vodafone router is your standard affair, no better, no worse than anything else an ISP throws at you. For me it isn't a massive issue as I disable the onboard WiFi and use a Ubiquity unit.
But assume that you will be forced to use their router and if you manage to get your details then consider that a major bonus.

Hi all, I am one of those people that managed to obtain the radius username and password, it can be done. Make sure you use the Vodafone forum as reference and state a valid case to why you need it, just asking gets you nowhere. currently using a netgear knighthawk and its solid as a rock!

Caporegime
Didn't Vodafone acquire Cable & Wireless Worldwide which had previously absorbed the Bulldog network? I'd be surprised if Vodafone's broadband offering was someone else's service white-labelled, since they'd likely be losing money.

Soldato
Hi all, I am one of those people that managed to obtain the radius username and password, it can be done. Make sure you use the Vodafone forum as reference and state a valid case to why you need it, just asking gets you nowhere. currently using a netgear knighthawk and its solid as a rock!

Yup - you're certainly one of the few.
As I said, I followed every single option open to me, to the point where it was becoming an obsession.
I sent emails, I sent letters, I had webchats.....
In the end I gave up. All is well at the moment, the weakest link in all ISP gear is the wireless, and that is being done elsewhere.
For example, with the Vodafone router I currently have zero disconnects in the past 4 weeks and my connection is sat at 79.9/17 (truly I've never seen a connection of 79.9 before, but as it has been that way for a month now, I'm obviously happy).

Associate
Didn't Vodafone acquire Cable & Wireless Worldwide which had previously absorbed the Bulldog network? I'd be surprised if Vodafone's broadband offering was someone else's service white-labelled, since they'd likely be losing money.

THIS

Customer of mine has a very old 256k P2P leased line that was provisioned circa 10yrs ago by Cable & Wireless, now owned by Vodafone..

Shawrey.

Soldato
Vodafone have been installing their own equipment all over the place. If what I've read on a couple of websites is to be believed, Vodafone's "ADSL Offering" is in fact a tiered down Fibre connection - this being the real reason they won't hand out PPoE usernames & passwords - plug in your own router, pay for ADSL, get Infinity 1 speeds.

Soldato
I switched from plusnet in Dec 2016 to Vodafone. One dingbat in the VF shop told me that it would improve my phone signal by having their VF router in, but luckily i found that was utter garbage prior to actually ordering.
Since install i've had no end of issues with disconnections and when you subscribe to umpteen streaming TV services it aint good.
After numerous tests i've managed to get it fairly settled but its now in a different part of the room with the mains telephone disconnected (no biggie as its never used), which again isn't ideal.
VF did tell me last week that they've identified an issue with the wifi channels on both 2.4 and 5GHz on these routers and have suggested manually changing channels instead of using the default auto-select setting. This too seems to have helped. The coverage of the wifi is fine, i don't see any need to use a 3rd party device unless you want vlans etc, but the VF router does have guest wifi, so that should cover most bases i guess.
I pay £28pcm, plusnet were charging me £39 and then offered £32 when i told them what VF offered. But i chose to move and the service is no better.
Only thing i can sy IS better is that i gtend to get through to VF support. NEVER ONCE have i managed to get through to plusnets tech support within 15 mins, they are totally useless imho.

Overall i don't think i'd recommend VF broadband as has been mentioned they enforce the use of their proprietary routers which sucks.
But....i'm not sure who else is better tbh. I don't have VM cable where i live sadly as i;ve had that in every other house i've lived in and never had issues.

Soldato
OP
yeah, kind of, had plenty of disconnections and/or speed drops.
Thought VF might be better, and they were cheaper.

I think that points more towards actual line issues as opposed to ISP issues, I don't think any provider you switch to is going to improve things sadly.

I'm lucky in the respect that my BT connection was solid and as such, my Vodafone connection should also be good.

I have no complaints about the router, it does the job it's supposed to and has enough customisation for an average user like myself.

Associate
Thinking of doing the same for my dad as virgin media has started charging him £45 a month. I actually contacted them and they offered us £35 a month unlimited 100mbs broadband for 12 months but they havn't contacted us back since. Our two options are vodafone or bt as no one else does superfast internet in our area.

Soldato
I think that points more towards actual line issues as opposed to ISP issues, I don't think any provider you switch to is going to improve things sadly.
Well, that mostly true, but you never really know until you switch. Plusnet support was utter garbage, i could never get through to get any support from them.
However after having issues with VF too, they at least checked the line then asked me to bypass the double-filtering faceplate that plusnet attached. Guess what.......dropouts reduced by quite a lot.
May well have stayed with plusnet if they'd provided decent support and identified the issue the way VF did.

Back
Top Bottom