That first ever "wow" factor

Soldato
There was a few, but loved my Sony K800i, its the first I had with a reap proper camera..had a xeon flash and everything!
Then I got an iPhone 3GS, just feeling how a touch screen show respond on the keyboard, I remember sitting in my office at the time.

Soldato
Iphone 4 was the first touchscreen phone I had and I thought it was great, other phones before that I had the Sony Ericsson k800i which was also good.

Soldato
HTC Touch Diamond for me - my first smartphone. Windows 6.1 (urgh) and slide out keyboard (yay).

HTC Desire I suppose after that, my first Android phone.

Everything after that has been a steady improvement with no genuine "wow" factor.

Soldato
Orange/Microsoft SPV.

Blew me away. Until I realised that if you put an MP3 ringtone on it, you wouldn't be able to answer the phone until the ringtone file had finished playing :p

Soldato
Haha. That's brilliant. :D

Bit of an oversight by the OS engineers !

Haha it was incredibly annoying - being young and dumb(er), it never really occurred to me to use a shorter ring tone so for a good few weeks I had a 3 second or so window to actually answer the call, and that's if the other person had actually rang for that long!

Real proper 'wow' moment for me though was probably when I got ditched the original iPhone and maybe the iphone 3, and got myself a HTC Hero. I adored the 'chin' on that phone and it was just so nice. I remember it being really slim in my head, but I looked at one on eBay not so long ago and it was pretty chunky :p

Soldato
2 real wow factors for me both in total contrast really and the first one really shows my age!

1: Sending my 1st ever text message from my Ericsson GA628 in 1996 and more importantly getting a reply!
2: Plugging phone into the Gear VR headset at the start of last year truly blew me away how good it was.

Man of Honour
A few of phones did that for me.

HTC Universal. It really felt like a proper computer in my pocket.

By8ihHq.png

That was a great phone. Screen remained higher resolution than many phones that came after for a couple of years.

I'd add the HTC Dream to my list. Great device that was. And yes, I still miss hardware keyboards.

Soldato
First phone that really felt like the future for me was the original Sony Xperia X1.

This for me too, t68i was my first phone, I'd already had the HTC Universal as my first smartphone where I was mocked for having a giant 3.6" screen. The X1 offered so much in such a small package while still being the size of a normal phone. The Nokia 930 is the first phone I've ever owned without a full physical qwerty keyboard, even my t68i had an attachment. I've never upgraded a phone for the sake of upgrading, there's always been a large difference in features which no longer seems to be the case with modern smartphones.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had good phones but they've all had their downsides, from the Nokia 3310 to an iPhone 4s, solid phones but clear downsides. My S7 Edge just has nothing missing, it's fantastic in every way

Caporegime
I managed to import an iPhone 1 before UK release from USA. (think it was about a month early?)

It was amazing, people were amazed by it.

As much as I dislike apple (have never had another) I wonder what phones would be like without that iPhone 1

Since then the only phone I've been blown away by is the Samsung s7edge I have now. Mainly for its insane camera

Soldato
Philips Savvy, my first ever phone and i was about 13.

I remember the n95 and i actually managed to log onto a forum

then whatever phone with a 1.3mp camera

I find phones very boring now and sometimes wish i just had one of the small tiny nokias from yestayear

Back
Top Bottom