*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
This is potentially it. If you are a novice lifter, three days of lifting a week is plenty.

Why?

Because you central nervous system is not up to much more than that unless you are unusual. And strength/swole training is as much about your nervous system as your actual muscles.

So accept your new beau swiped left for your as-is state and wind yourself back in for a bit. :)

Or ditch the "new partner exertions" and get at least 8hrs sleep a night, whilst eating everything you see.

And for the love of all that is holy: if you can't do a single chin up you don't deserve to improve your bench. ;)

I think you misread, I've just come out of a relationship, not just entered into one. Chance of "new partner exertions" would be a fine thing at the moment!

I think you're both right though, its most likely the combination of over training, lack of rest and a distinct lack of calories.

For now I think I'm going to have to live with it for now, I'll cut back a day or swap a couple of days out for cardio but I can't do anything on the calorie intake front, as much I want my lifts to progress my main goal at the moment is to get back to a reasonable bodyfat %, get to a point where I'm happy with my base and I can build from there.

As always though, advice is appreciated even if a lot of the time I don't listen to it :o

Man of Honour
OP
I think you misread, I've just come out of a relationship, not just entered into one. Chance of "new partner exertions" would be a fine thing at the moment!

I think you're both right though, its most likely the combination of over training, lack of rest and a distinct lack of calories.

For now I think I'm going to have to live with it for now, I'll cut back a day or swap a couple of days out for cardio but I can't do anything on the calorie intake front, as much I want my lifts to progress my main goal at the moment is to get back to a reasonable bodyfat %, get to a point where I'm happy with my base and I can build from there.

As always though, advice is appreciated even if a lot of the time I don't listen to it :o

Sorry. *facepalm*

Forget what I just said and go bench something. ;)

Soldato
How much water do people take on per day?

I'm normally around 6 litres per day, I sweat very easily, manual job and I drip with sweat at the gym.

but a lot of people seem to think I shouldn't be drinking this much. I only drink when I'm thirsty never force myself to drink.

so yeah. thought Id ask other active gym goers how much they drink. for ref I'm 6ft1 97kg if that makes any difference

Soldato
I would say about 2.5 - 3.5 litres a day, depending on the day, but I'm a desk jockey. I do sweat easily at the gym though, so need that water intake after a session.

Soldato
Ignore people :p
If you're thirsty and you drink, you're good.
It's when people down water sitting at their desk when they think they need to that causes problems.

Unless you think you might have diabetes?

Nah I had a full health test a year or so ago and I am all fit and healthy.

blood tests, poo sample, urine the whole 9 yards.

I just get real sweaty real easy. and I always wake up dehydrated as I sweat a lot in my sleep.

Man of Honour
Used liquid chalk on my heavy deadlifts for the first time today. Wow, that stuff is brilliant. Especially because it is so hot in there at the moment and my hands keep sweating.

Saw for the first time yesterday someone at peak time doing bicep curls in one of the only three squats racks - only 20kg too!!!!

Soldato
Need to improve my deadlifts, only on 50kg at the moment. 4 sets of 10. Taking it really slow as not to hurt my back. I'm terrible at doing too much too soon and have a bit of a dodge lower back.

Man of Honour
OP
Need to improve my deadlifts, only on 50kg at the moment. 4 sets of 10. Taking it really slow as not to hurt my back. I'm terrible at doing too much too soon and have a bit of a dodge lower back.

Change to four sets of five and you might find great things happen.

The best way to not hurt your back is to lift properly, too: has your form been assessed/taught by somebody with a clue?

Soldato
4 sets of 5 and increase weight now, or stick to same weight?

Anything can aggravate my back, not just deadlifts. This week it's been fine.
I can dig in the garden and that will do it in.
Maybe I just need to strength my back and it will be less prone to aggravation.

I've not been taught by a professional, but read and watched videos, then videoed myself to make sure I'm doing it like them. I'm sure I'm doing it right.

Associate
How do you guys deal with excessive sweating in gym, when i train i sweat a lot,I don't know if that's related to the high intensity training or some sort of medical issue. When i look around no one sweats as much as I do.
Do i need more cardio training perhaps?

Man of Honour
OP
Well, if you bang the reps out for deadlights you will fatigue your back and make it more prone to damage. So keep the reps below five. I would also suggest posting a video so that delvis can admire it (he has sweet deadlift form... If he still even lifts).

With regard to weight, a complete gashculation based on 10*50 suggests 5*60, so see how that feels.

And you put your back out doing daily "stuff" probably because you are weak (same applied to me six years ago).

Man of Honour
OP
How do you guys deal with excessive sweating in gym, when i train i sweat a lot,I don't know if that's related to the high intensity training or some sort of medical issue. When i look around no one sweats as much as I do.
Do i need more cardio training perhaps?

I take my shirt off.

Sweating is a function of heat production (crazy, I know), and if you do high power/force activity, you will generate a lot of it (it is not an efficient way to stimulate muscle contraction); cardio will push your muscles in a more efficient direction (mitochondria > anaerobic buffering) at the expense of power and - as a result - size (muscles less dependent on carbs are smaller in volume).

So don't worry about it, or get some air conditioning and chalk.

Soldato
Rodders, I've found that putting in meters on the C2 gave me fantastic back health in the past. If I were in your position I'd be trying to get through some low-intensity, good-form sessions on the pain-sled!

Soldato
I'd feel my form would be questionable at the end of sets of 10.
I've got quite good at feeling when I'm setup right, though I probably drag against my shins a bit much as I always end up with bruises

Soldato
Cant link it here due to the language, but Eddie Hall has done a 2 hour podcast with The True Geordie. Touches on some really interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom