***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Evening gym bros.

Not sure if I posted my more recent protein sweet cheat on here, so here it is: my Purple power pot!

Its basically what I have every morning before my daily walk. Ube flavoured whey cake (my own concoction), ube flavoured meringue, cashew/peanut butter and fromage frais with a few flav drops mixed in.

The cake is essentially made of beans, egg, sweetener, flavouring, baking powder and whey. I blend ungredients together, bake for 10 mins and freeze it after dividing it Into 16. The night before I pop a block into a jar with the rest and brekkie is served

IMG-20200525-092051-542.jpg

Soldato
@Avenged7Fold - Could be worth having a coffee instead then having a walk if you're looking for fat loss? Keep your body in a fasted state. :)

The colours are truly wonderful! :D

I walk 8 miles in the morning, doing that fasted will tempt too much muscle loss at my current bodyfat. I think at this point more fat loss is just a bit of a slog. I had a day or two of lax eating but now I'm back on it. My abs are a bit soft but they are there. I'd estimate fat to be 11/12%. Not really aiming for anything in particular. When the gyms are open, I'm back on the bulk and I'm looking forward to it!

The lockdown cut has been a great learning experience but I'm finding myself missing the feeling of being stuffed after a stodgy meal

Last edited:
Consigliere
I walk 8 miles in the morning, doing that fasted will tempt too much muscle loss at my current bodyfat. I think at this point more fat loss is just a bit of a slog. I had a day or two of lax eating but now I'm back on it. My abs are a bit soft but they are there. I'd estimate fat to be 11/12%. Not really aiming for anything in particular. When the gyms are open, I'm back on the bulk and I'm looking forward to it!

The lockdown cut has been a great learning experience but I'm finding myself missing the feeling of being stuffed after a stodgy meal

Ah gotcha!

I am at 12% according to my new Renpho but want to go a bit lower before bulking. Just this final bit of lower belly fat i neeeeeeed to remove. That is the hardest. :(

Man of Honour
https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/reopening-faqs

An interesting read. I think July is ambitious. This plan is next to no good for me, I’ll arrive after work to a long queue in the car park. Glad I bought my own weights. I’ll probably pause my membership and see what happens when the time comes. When the winter weather arrives I’ll need to come up with an undercover solution to my home workout.

Associate
After a bit of advice to maintain my deadlift PR...

I pulled 200kg about a year ago now and then for the following three weeks I worked up to and pulled 200kg for three sets of one. The following week 180kg wasn't even coming off the ground and since then that's been my limit...up until today, I bit the bullet and forked out on an oly bar and some 180kg of plates and I pulled 200kg again in my garage today.

I tend to do some light deadlifts on leg day and then heavy deads at the start of a back session, is there any specific rep ranges and percentages I should be working towards to keep my 200kg as I don't want to make the same mistake again and burn myself out both physically and mentally.

Man of Honour

I pulled 200kg about a year ago now and then for the following three weeks I worked up to and pulled 200kg for three sets of one. The following week 180kg wasn't even coming off the ground and since then that's been my limit...up until today, I bit the bullet and forked out on an oly bar and some 180kg of plates and I pulled 200kg again in my garage today.

I tend to do some light deadlifts on leg day and then heavy deads at the start of a back session, is there any specific rep ranges and percentages I should be working towards to keep my 200kg as I don't want to make the same mistake again and burn myself out both physically and mentally.

If you can do 200kg for a single, you should probably not do it again for a good few weeks. Increase your volume at 160-180kg.

And make sure you eat and sleep really well: lifting 200kg is no small thing. The first time I tried it my nervous system lit up like a Christmas tree, and I had to wait another 2/3 weeks before I could crack it again. And I haven't done it since...

Associate
If you can do 200kg for a single, you should probably not do it again for a good few weeks. Increase your volume at 160-180kg.

And make sure you eat and sleep really well: lifting 200kg is no small thing. The first time I tried it my nervous system lit up like a Christmas tree, and I had to wait another 2/3 weeks before I could crack it again. And I haven't done it since...

Aye, taking a day or two off training and eating big and well! Like you said, I was planning on sticking to the weights that you mentioned maybe throwing in some cluster sets of something!

Really wasn't expecting it to go up at all given I've not deadlifted for three months!

Associate

Drop the weight, aim for 160kg for 10 reps, once you hit that go for 165kg for 10, etc... Your 1 rep max will naturally go up with this approach as well.

Associate
Gyms are back open on the 25th, cant wait. Last time I was in the gym was October!

Really interested to see how much strength was maintained with these bands. Probably at 80 60 100 for 8 which I'll be happy with.

Currently at about 71kg and not as lean as I was at 83. Bulk will commence after the gyms have been open for 4-6 weeks - basically once some strength and form is established. Dont want any injuries going back too excited

Man of Honour
Gyms are back open on the 25th, cant wait. Last time I was in the gym was October!

Really interested to see how much strength was maintained with these bands. Probably at 80 60 100 for 8 which I'll be happy with.

Currently at about 71kg and not as lean as I was at 83. Bulk will commence after the gyms have been open for 4-6 weeks - basically once some strength and form is established. Dont want any injuries going back too excited

Good luck :)

My strength is slowly returning and I’ve changed my routine slightly to revolve around a barbell and landmine. Front squatted on Monday for the first time in years and my AC joints didn’t hurt.

Man of Honour
I'm homegym based but pleased everyone can get back on it.

I've really changed the way I'm working out. I was doing madcow after a long stronglifts time. I'm less structured than I was and basing days around 1 or 2 of the big compound lifts (not squats still as too afraid of my knee until getting sorted) as well as things like the anabolic alien 5 min things and / or boxing hiit and assistance lifts. Mixing it up is making it more fun again. I'm still a fat ***** but my maxes have gone up quite a bit.

Soldato
I'm in 2 minds about the gym. I really really really need and want to get back but I don't possibly see how it's going to work.

I still have work so can't get there until peak time, if they're only allowing say, half the amount of people in to stick to social distancing I literally won't get a look in.

Man of Honour
I'm in 2 minds about the gym. I really really really need and want to get back but I don't possibly see how it's going to work.

I still have work so can't get there until peak time, if they're only allowing say, half the amount of people in to stick to social distancing I literally won't get a look in.

I’m with Nuffield and they don’t even have a booking system, it’s a peak free for all. It just doesn’t work for me. Neither does a maximum 1 hour stay, not that I suspect they’ll enforce it. I could imagine spending a load of that time waiting for equipment and cleaning it down.

Now that I’ve got a home gym I’m going to freeze my membership into the winter and see how I get on at home.

Soldato
I’m with Nuffield and they don’t even have a booking system, it’s a peak free for all. It just doesn’t work for me. Neither does a maximum 1 hour stay, not that I suspect they’ll enforce it. I could imagine spending a load of that time waiting for equipment and cleaning it down.

Now that I’ve got a home gym I’m going to freeze my membership into the winter and see how I get on at home.

I'm with "The Gym" and same, no booking system. They have an app which shows what their capacity is like but I suspect come 5pm it'll be at 100% for the foreseeable future. When it's full you just have to wait outside in a queue until you can go in.

I think I'll at least give it a month or 2 until the rush for everyone who has been sedentary is over (much like new years).

Soldato
OP
Waiting to see what the craic is with MuscleWorks and Pure. The former have added various facilities and some new machines while they’ve been closed #shadybutIDGAF. Train mid-afternoon so should be ok with both but I can’t face any sort of ‘one out, one in’ policy if it’s too busy, time limits or anything like that.

Gotten a bit podgy (for me), but no dieting until my strength is back to pre-lockdown levels.

Man of Honour
Apparently Nuffield have quietly changed the membership freeze from September to August at which point they’ll take the first payment. I’ve contacted them asking to extend it to December or if they can’t do that to just cancel my membership. Their communication is shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom