[[[The 2022 Gym Rats Thread]]] ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Soldato
Hey guys, does anyone know if Pure Gym gives access to every gym of theirs around the U.K? I do a lot of travelling so would need access to various different gyms around the U.K.

Underboss
Motivation.

How does everyone manage it? Last 3 weeks between bad sleep, slight injury, poor food choices and general lethargy I have put on a couple of lbs and been to the gym a grand total of once this month.

Shocking tbh, was on a good run and then bang, just couldn't be arsed.

Man of Honour
Hey guys, does anyone know if Pure Gym gives access to every gym of theirs around the U.K? I do a lot of travelling so would need access to various different gyms around the U.K.

Depends if you pay for the privilege.

Soldato
Motivation.

How does everyone manage it? Last 3 weeks between bad sleep, slight injury, poor food choices and general lethargy I have put on a couple of lbs and been to the gym a grand total of once this month.

Been through many phases of time off, it really is easier not to eat clean and not to train so its always an up hill struggle in my opinion. I personally find that setting clear goals, ive always found that has helped me get / keep moving.

I started back up again in December after a year off, my excuse was that my Garage needed reroofing, so i made sure to do that last year. Then it was about not having a workout plan to follow, so i got hold of a couple. Since then its just about having weight loss goals to start with less focus on lifting goals. The focus will shift once i hit my target weight/fat levels though.

So really, goals, set them, write them down as well, that will make you more accountable to them. If you tell people as well thats even better, because you then feel a sense of commitment to them.

Soldato
Motivation.

Learn to not make excuses basically.
People have this ability to make up the biggest crock of **** to get out of something.

I think im at just one day off from working out at the moment. Eventually it does become more of a lifestyle thing rather than a chore.

Associate
Started to do more intense workouts 1 min breaks between sets lower weight but higher reps and a really slow tempo controlling everything maximising tension. instead of 7 days in the gym i am now on a 5 day split and the recovery periods are nice even though i still go into the gym to work a bit of arms lats and traps. I guess its more bodybuilding/hypertrophy esq than powerlifting/strength training but im going to mix it up in the future.. Im enjoying the intensity a lot. body is changing and becoming a lot more toned up due to it.

Soldato
Learn to not make excuses basically.
People have this ability to make up the biggest crock of **** to get out of something.

I think im at just one day off from working out at the moment. Eventually it does become more of a lifestyle thing rather than a chore.
This basically.
Picking a routine that you enjoy also helps. Most days you should be looking forward to the gym, IMO if your dreading going to the gym everyday then you need to figure out what you enjoy doing first.
Setting goals also massively helps, I've always enjoyed weight lifting but didn't really enjoy cardio until I compartmentalised it all and every cardio session i'm trying to beat a target.
Lastly everyone get's those days where they feel like crap and/or week but remember a bad workout is still better than no workout.

Soldato
Motivation.

I've recently started paying for a remote coach. He sends me my weekly routine on a Monday which is normally slightly varied from week to week (with the goal of improving 1rm) and studies all my lifts (which I film) on a Sunday. So not every week is just grinding out the heaviest 5x5 I can manage. It's made it FAR more enjoyable (not that I had much of a motivation problem previously). It also gives you some accountability to someone else which gives you added incentive to go. I've seen pretty substantial lift improvements as well. May be something to consider.

Underboss
Cheers chaps, going to get my holiday out of the way in May/June and then get a coach from my gym, he does powerlifting and strength training so can get a program and get a form check done.

Just feeling so meh at the moment, the gym usually fixes that but it’s creeped into all facets of life atm.

Soldato
OP
Motivation is overrated, it’s an emotional state and emotions are transient and fleeting. I made the gym a habit a long time ago the same as brushing my teeth or making my lunch for work the night before, and now I just end up there at the allotted time for that particular training day whether I‘m looking forward to training or not and then get it done.

Obviously it does help if you have a training plan and understand what you’re doing any why. If you’re just going to the gym without a clear idea or intent then it’s a lot harder to make it a habit.

Soldato

Depends if you pay for the privilege.

Ahh so they do have an unlimited plan for £18.99! Will look into it, used to be on the off peak one when I went religiously before work a few years ago.

Cheers.

Associate
Does anyone know much about reliable commercial grade cardio equipment? I'm after a few treadmills, cross trainers and bikes but I know very little on what are good brands.

Man of Honour
Motivation is overrated, it’s an emotional state and emotions are transient and fleeting. I made the gym a habit a long time ago the same as brushing my teeth or making my lunch for work the night before, and now I just end up there at the allotted time for that particular training day whether I‘m looking forward to training or not and then get it done.

Obviously it does help if you have a training plan and understand what you’re doing any why. If you’re just going to the gym without a clear idea or intent then it’s a lot harder to make it a habit.
This is more or less how I approach the gym and food. My early morning walk is so habitual that I don't even need the alarm to get me up at 5:30am.

The gym is the same, it's so ingrained into my daily/weekly life that I still go and complete my training routine on days when I'm not in the mood. If something else gets in the way of my normal workout slot, I will move it to another time in the day. For example on Monday I couldn't make my usual late afternoon gym session. So I went in the morning before work and split my walk either side.

Food is a bit easier as I do enjoy all of the food I eat, despite having a calorie limit in place and relatively strict macro split. Although there is wiggle room for weekend cheating.

I find tracking diet and exercise in the various apps available also helps. There's a sort of gamer collecting achievements element to hitting the goals you set and seeing them in graphic format.

Man of Honour
The gym for me is mood control and an outlet. Shifting several tonnes of weight really sorts you out. My wife is very supportive and tells me to go and do a session when she knows I'm not in the right frame of mind. The release I get from it stays with me long enough that I can ride the wave for a few days.

I've also been seeing a physio recently that has transformed my back injuries and niggles I've had for 25+ years. It's made the gym more enjoyable again.

Accountability is another thing that's important. How you get held to account for the work you do.

Also health. I'm in my 40s and exercise is a critical element of well being and health. I want to be strong and fit for my kids they motivate me to be well and healthy.

I recently had a (private) health check. And my body fat and general health is that of a 36 year old which made me absolutely ecstatic. I've also lost some bf recently (down to 94kg) and under 18% BF so looking super lean at the moment. That motivates me more.

Also I just like to eat and it's my reward for working hard.

I agree with Somnambulist about motivation. Having a plan and routine helps override motivation. Just like your morning coffee or commute you plan for it and make it part of your routine. Do that with the gym and it no longer becomes a chore.

I set myself goals and treat myself to a prize for achieving them - but I get a 3rd party to sign it off effectively so that I know I'll more likely stick to it.

Soldato
So this is the updated version of the Generic Bulk Routine.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-18-at-10-34-35-PM-768x322.png

Link

The only thing that bothers me about the upper (not concerned with lower as I use the old generic bulk routine format with deadlifts) is the lack of any shoulder press.

The reasoning is that the anterior delts get hit a lot as it is from all the chest pressing but it still bothers me enough to post this.

What's your take?

Tempted to try and sneak in two sets of 10-12 shoulder press, but where to place it is the tricky part.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ypu can just swap replace the flye / incline Bench for and OHP movement and will be fine. All depends what you want to focus on, if you feel your shoulders are lagging then do that for a couple of months.

Soldato
OP
My take is that for bodybuilding (which is really what GBR is about) OHP is inefficient, most shoulder-press machines have sucky ergonomics and you’re better off doing incline work, and lateral raise variations for the side delts. Even on a bench most trying to do seated vertical pressing cheat and arch their upper back hard because their mobility is insufficient to press directly above them, and turn it into a high incline press anyway. Better to just put the bench the right angle and keep your back flat.

Ultimately GBR is just an example of how you take the volume recommendations Lyle has drawn from the literature and divide it over 4 training days a week. If you know roughly how much work you’re doing for a given body part it’s not hard to drop a set off one or two other things for the anterior delt/triceps and add in a couple of sets of a vertical press if you’re desperate to do it.

Associate
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my progress. Started lifting at the end of Feb started taking it seriously 4-5 weeks ago.

The left picture is 3 weeks ago. The right picture was yesterday. I am very happy with the changes of the wideness of the back. Let me know what you think and what i should work on. Thanks!!

https://imgur.com/a/Znn2gRs

Back
Top Bottom