[[[The 2022 Gym Rats Thread]]] ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Soldato
First real test of my routine coming up since I started training again. I go away on holiday not this Friday but next Friday for a week.

Im lining it up as a deload week by extending my current training block 2 weeks. Im just not sure if I should fully enjoy the break, or still train as I normally would (but deloaded) to keep in the swing of things.

Ive hit every session 4 days per week in 2022, a little bit of fear of taking the foot of the gas might let sloppiness creep in could be playing on my mind.

Man of Honour
First real test of my routine coming up since I started training again. I go away on holiday not this Friday but next Friday for a week.

Im lining it up as a deload week by extending my current training block 2 weeks. Im just not sure if I should fully enjoy the break, or still train as I normally would (but deloaded) to keep in the swing of things.

Ive hit every session 4 days per week in 2022, a little bit of fear of taking the foot of the gas might let sloppiness creep in could be playing on my mind.
Enjoy your week off and forget about the gym. The weights will still be there when you get back and so will your muscles.

Soldato
Hello all. I've been working out the kinks in my diet and managed to lose about 7 pounds since June and increased my overall strength. One thing I struggle with is carb intake. My macro split is 40/30/30 (protein/carbs/fats) and each day I'm in a calorie deficit of around 500 cals.

I like rice but its the most carbo thing I eat; is there a particular strand of rice that has low carbs? I don't want that synthetic crap, natural all the way pls.

Man of Honour
Hello all. I've been working out the kinks in my diet and managed to lose about 7 pounds since June and increased my overall strength. One thing I struggle with is carb intake. My macro split is 40/30/30 (protein/carbs/fats) and each day I'm in a calorie deficit of around 500 cals.

I like rice but its the most carbo thing I eat; is there a particular strand of rice that has low carbs? I don't want that synthetic crap, natural all the way pls.
Nope, rice is rice pretty much. Just comes down to which type you prefer, personally I'm a fan of Jasmine if I'm having rice.

Soldato
Just out of interest why are you worried about it being carby? carbs arent evil/bad, also, synthetic crap and rice in the same sentence makes no sense. Sure white rice is cleaned a little but thats it. As per @tom_e response, rice is rice.

If you want a carb source that is more satiating though, go with potatoes.

Soldato

You could try this:

Obviously it's not rice but I quite like it. I'm diabetic so certain carbs just aren't worth the faff (rice being one of them) so I've tried a load of carb replacement foods.

Soldato
Just out of interest why are you worried about it being carby? carbs arent evil/bad, also, synthetic crap and rice in the same sentence makes no sense. Sure white rice is cleaned a little but thats it. As per @tom_e response, rice is rice.

If you want a carb source that is more satiating though, go with potatoes.

I've been trailing different diets that would help me lost fat but have little impact on my strength and muscle endurance. I think I've finally found what works for me which means I can only have a max of 150g carbs a day. A big carb snack I have mid morning is brown bread with 30g peanut butter and sliced banana. If I don't have this snack I struggle to make it until lunch time (1pm). I also have have a 20g PHD Protein Bar which has lots of carbs too but also helps top my protein intake , so I need to be careful not to go over my daily limit.

Soldato
I've been trailing different diets that would help me lost fat but have little impact on my strength and muscle endurance. I think I've finally found what works for me which means I can only have a max of 150g carbs a day. A big carb snack I have mid morning is brown bread with 30g peanut butter and sliced banana. If I don't have this snack I struggle to make it until lunch time (1pm). I also have have a 20g PHD Protein Bar which has lots of carbs too but also helps top my protein intake , so I need to be careful not to go over my daily limit.
You will lose fat on any diet as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Hell im now trying to bulk and im still lost weight even though my carbs are over 300g per day and im a small guy, 171cm and 66kg now.

Soldato
PB week next week for deadlifts and squats (hopefully). Ended up doing some really heavy (heavier than I should have been doing) rack pulls on Tuesday after my bench PB so my back didn't really feel right during squats yesterday, ended up skipping the session after a couple of sets. I think it's just major DOMS but my coach said it's not worth risking it "This 1 session isn't going to improve your PR but it could destroy it".

Soldato
You will lose fat on any diet as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Hell im now trying to bulk and im still lost weight even though my carbs are over 300g per day and im a small guy, 171cm and 66kg now.

I see what your saying, but everyone's different so just being in a calorie deficit isn't gonna be as effective for one person as it is for another

Soldato
I see what your saying, but everyone's different so just being in a calorie deficit isn't gonna be as effective for one person as it is for another
Yes it truely is. I assume what you mean is sustaining a deficit is different from one person to the next, and some find low carb easier, some find high protein easier etc? As a 500 cal deficit is a 500 cal deficit regardless of diet pretty much. Obviously when you take it to the extremes eating in a deficit on McDonald’s is not as good as a nice clean diet, but the variance is very much closer then most think.

Soldato
Very frustrated with myself at the moment, I've done some damage to my left shoulder pushing too hard on bench pressing.

It's been a week and a half now and it still hurts to do any sort of lifting on that side.

Still getting to the gym and my PT, but doing exclusively leg work which isn't a bad thing I guess.

I am limited in that I can't use the big leg machines as I can't load the big plates on myself and squatting with any weight is out because of the shoulder movement and bar position.

As a result I'm having to use the machines where you can adjust them with pins. At least I can isolate muscles and work each bit to death to some degree.

Associate
Very frustrated with myself at the moment, I've done some damage to my left shoulder pushing too hard on bench pressing.

It's been a week and a half now and it still hurts to do any sort of lifting on that side.

Still getting to the gym and my PT, but doing exclusively leg work which isn't a bad thing I guess.

I am limited in that I can't use the big leg machines as I can't load the big plates on myself and squatting with any weight is out because of the shoulder movement and bar position.

As a result I'm having to use the machines where you can adjust them with pins. At least I can isolate muscles and work each bit to death to some degree.
Just be really careful is all I’d say (which I’m sure you are). I managed to tear my rotator cuff and didn’t allow it to recover properly which gave me absolutely no end of problems. I have a bit of a weakness there now which rears its head when I push it a bit too hard. It’s frustrating I know but make sure it repairs fully and give it the time it needs.

Soldato
Just be really careful is all I’d say (which I’m sure you are). I managed to tear my rotator cuff and didn’t allow it to recover properly which gave me absolutely no end of problems. I have a bit of a weakness there now which rears its head when I push it a bit too hard. It’s frustrating I know but make sure it repairs fully and give it the time it needs.

Even more annoyingly, I'd done 1 week of a 5 week climbing course. I've now cancelled that and re-arranged as I cant even risk belaying (?) people, like you say coming back too early will just make it worse in the long term.

I just buy more, smaller milk cartons for now too, soon forget and grab one of those big ones by accident with the wrong arm!

Caporegime
I injured my right rotator cuff about 4.5 years ago (and the left one went a year later), and it's only really this year that I've been able to slowly get back into a normal routine.

Yours may well heal quicker than mine - hopefully months rather than, as in my case, years. I certainly hope it does heal quick!
For me, even now, there are some angles and movements I have to be careful with, e.g. squats - holding just the bar is very uncomfortable.

I make sure that someone passes me the dumbells when doing something like incline presses. Machines are a great help, though.

I had a cortisone shot shortly after doing my right cuff in but it didn't seem to make much difference; everyday things like opening windows were a challenge, as it could be too painful.

Last edited:
Soldato
PB week for me, now time for a week off (holiday time).

71.5kg bodyweight.

165kg Deadlift (up from 160kg):

155kg Squat (up from 147.5kg) - this is technically a fail. I released my brace before re racking and when I went to walk forward my hips move and nothing else. It was really weird:

Got a 152.5kg beforehand which was still a new PB anyway:

100kg Bench (up from 95kg) - absolutely horrible form. Really need to work on these:

Another 12 weeks then we go again!

Back
Top Bottom