1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The age of the universe and evolution

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by skolem, Dec 22, 2008.

1. daz

Capodecina

Dude, you don't need to explain special relativity to me. [​IMG]

I picked you up because you said this:

"false" is not the same as you said in your additional post. But glad it's cleared up now. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. UncleBob

Mobster

Apparently not - there is a fairly clear explanation of why ancestral fusion leads to the creation of sterile mules when donkeys and horses are mated, which can be found here.

3. Inquisitor

Capodecina

I know – I was just trying to explain my reasoning :p

Well, at the risk of getting dragged into semantics, Newton's laws make certain assertions regarding the nature of a body's motion, but in reality these assertions only hold for the case of zero velocity, right? Hence, to make such assertions in a wider domain (as they would originally have been made) is incorrect, even if it's pretty damn close. You'd need to qualify further that they're only approximations.

4. daz

Capodecina

You usually don't need to qualify that though because everything is an approximation at some level. :p

5. Screwback

Associate

Nobody will ever know for sure how old the universe is or how it became, the smartest people ever to exist can speculate all they want, the truth is we will never know. Our minds cant possibly comprehend its creation and existence. I find it funny that as a human race we think we know how everything has become, yet we can't cure dandruff.

6. Nix

Capodecina

Ironically, the smartest amongst us also quickly recognise just how little we really know.

For you to claim an absolute in that we will never know is just as bad as claiming that we do. The truth is we may one day understand, however as it stands contemporary society is a long way off.

7. Screwback

Associate

We will never know. I don't care how many intelligent theories are created, how many times they are debated amongst the most intellectual people, we can only ever guess. Granted mankind has come a long way, especially technologically, but we nobody will ever be able to fathom the universe/life out. We aren't even a spec of dust in comparison to the size of the universe, and for some people to claim how it's all come about, is quite frankly arrogant.

8. welshy46

Associate

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cobs View Post
    Richard Dawkins cannot prove anything, he can only make guesses and rely on dodgy dating methods.

Ive tried some dodgy dating methods myself rahypnol seems to give the best results

after reading Bill Bryson's a short history of nearly everything the only things that surprise me is how much scientists dont actually know most of modern science is built on suppposition and not fact especially evolution

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  9. Angilion

Man of Honour

Scientific theories aren't guesses. They are tested explanations that match all existing observations. They aren't necessarily correct explanations, but they're certainly much more than guesses.

You trust your life to science daily without thinking about it. Would you trust your life as freely to guesses?

10. cactuscake

Hitman

I have, I'm just not going to tell anybody :p

11. Screwback

Associate

I know a lot of work, observations, time, effort and so on go into theories, but when it boils down to it we know nothing. We just like to think we do. What is intelligence anyway? Intelligence is something that is interpreted by human beings, our minds will only advance so far, there are questions out there that will never come close to being answered, but we humans are always there with Mr. Logic by our sides trying to explain everything away.

12. Angilion

Man of Honour

"We" know a great deal, collectively. There's a lot more we don't know, almost certainly including things we don't know we don't know, but it's not the case that we know nothing. Science is a useful method of gaining knowledge that can be relied on, within limits. It's not the understanding of everything, but it's a lot more than nothing.

13. salami1212

Mobster

utterly stupid to believe in religion. Im sorry but it is. Its just like languages and culture. Over time, they change gradually as if you have a look, Islam and christianity are basically the same religion.. If not THE same religion

14. WalesOwl

Hitman

Lol! Seriously though, they are completely different.

Sry if this is a bump..........

15. Stag

PermaBanned

No offence, but you sound just as blind and ignorant as a YEC by spouting that.

16. datawrite

PermaBanned

Agreed.

17. Tefal

Capo Crimine

isn't that because Islam came about afterwards and pretty much copied/incorporated Christianity?

18. salami1212

Mobster

How am i blind.. your the one whos blind.. Theres thousands of religions on this planet, what makes you so sure yours is the right one and whats gonna happen to all the people who dont believe in YOUR god.. hell? pftt

19. Dolph

Man of Honour

Your position has as much evidential support as any theist position, so presenting it as an absolute sounds just the same as when a theist does it. To top it off you are behaving just like a religious person demanding that your belief must be the correct one...

20. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Islam is derived from Christianity, yes. And most of the things we find odd about Islamic culture come from the Christianity as practised at the time. For example, the kneeling to pray is straight out of sixth century Coptic Christianity.

I'm increasingly unconvinced that either Islam or Christianity are useful units of analysis. There is a much difference between the different strands of Christianity as there is between mainstream Christianity and mainstream Islam anyway.