*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Man of Honour
:D exactly what im doing but having got rid of the Desire ill be using the iphone4 along with my BB9700:D

Well I've just read through the entire review. (My bottom points are made assuming that the review isn't biased/incorrect at all)

My main gripe with the iPhone is still there, its software is sub-par (for me) compared to Android.

However, some fairly good improvements have been made which is nice. I like how it looks too, none of the UK Android phones are really good looking.

It is priced fairly badly compared to a phone which you could argue is just about its equal, but again that is to be expected from Apple, no thanks to you lot who pay it :p

Their comments about the screen being better than AMOLED are interesting, I still think that could be a matter of opinion but we'll have to wait for more comparions on that (to the Galaxy S super AMOLED).

The battery looks very promising, I do hope some headway is being made with regard to that as its really a big issue at the moment with all smartphones.

Camera and video recording looks about as good as you would expect, nothing groundbreaking but certainly decent, phones haven't moved that far yet and Apple aren't known for good cameras :(

So on the premise of being a gadget lover I want one, however I would need to find some sort of deal that doesn't make me feel as if I'm being ripped off. Which brings me back to my previous post - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=16806354&postcount=3748

Any takers? I assume you are just buying one outright Spawn, from Apple directly?

Don
Well I've decided to get to my local o2 shop at 7 o'clock on Thurs, praying not many are as sad as me! I want one of these badly :D

Has anyone rang o2 yet to take advantage of the early cancellation offer at half price? I spoke to a guy in o2 and he wasn't that confident he'd be able to do all the changes in store and that I should ring up o2 to do it.

Associate
I think everyone will agree that AMOLED and S AMOLED technology will be capable of going further, but at this time - Apple can do better quality IPS displays in larger numbers right now, so it is very much possible that it appears to be the better screen.

The Galaxy S is showing only slightly better outside viewing than the previous phones with AMOLED displays, and in that review - they say the display in sunlight is pretty decent. So i'd say that is something they still have over AMOLED.

Man of Honour
iPhone 4 review by Engadget, non-Apple forum edition

I posted my thoughts on this in the iPhone thread, so I'll put it here too :p

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/iphone-4-review/

Well I've just read through the entire review. (My bottom points are made assuming that the review isn't biased/incorrect at all)

My main gripe with the iPhone is still there, its software is sub-par (for me) compared to Android.

However, some fairly good improvements have been made which is nice. I like how it looks too, none of the UK Android phones are really good looking.

It is priced fairly badly compared to a phone which you could argue is just about its equal, but again that is to be expected from Apple, no thanks to the Apple fans who pay it!

Their comments about the screen being better than AMOLED are interesting, I still think that could be a matter of opinion but we'll have to wait for more comparions on that (to the Galaxy S super AMOLED).

The battery looks very promising, I do hope some headway is being made with regard to that as its really a big issue at the moment with all smartphones.

Camera and video recording looks about as good as you would expect, nothing groundbreaking but certainly decent, phones haven't moved that far yet and Apple aren't known for good cameras

So on the premise of being a gadget lover I want one, however I would need to find some sort of deal that doesn't make me feel as if I'm being ripped off.

--

I just cant see at the moment whether the extra price over the Galaxy S is justified, it does look better and will undoubtedly be built better but is that enough?

Your thoughts people?

(For the record I still think Android is a much better software platform and I wish that could be installed on it, maybe one day? :cool:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading ATM, the video recording they did actually underwhelmed me, it did get better in natural light though.

Was thinking the photos in natural light were really good, but i was wondering didn't the Nokia N95 take really godo photos as well???

Did you download the RAW version of the video - looks pretty good to me :)

Caporegime
How much is the Galaxy S? The iPhone 4 is £500-600, which puts it above the older one and slightly more overpriced, not that far from the RRP for the X10 (£500) and the atandard price for HTC top end phones (£450).

Unfortunately you know this thread will be lumped in the Apple forum so you won't get an impartial discussion on it... :(

With regard to the screen, the benefits of AMOLED are mostly related to the much greater power efficience. I bet the IPS screen on the 4 sucks power like no tomorrow!

Just going to go off to read the review. :)

EDIT: Looks a pretty nice piece of hardware (although for some reason I can only read up to the video... :confused:), photos look good as well, although it still has trouble with blue sky (like most phones). If I ever manage to read the rest of the review I may comment on that too.. :p

Just a shame it doesn't have a better OS on it or I would be very tempted by it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still not sure whether to get white or black, all my electronics are black but the white is alluring. I really like the back but the front doesn't look as classy as the black, though the black seems to show fingerprints really easily.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately you know this thread will be lumped in the Apple forum so you won't get an impartial discussion on it... :(

Well, I would like any passing moderator to know it would be nice if this thread could stay in this forum, as it is the mobiles forum and at the end of the day the iPhone is a mobile phone.

While the Apple forum is fine, it is packed to the rafters with people who wont listen to any kind of reason (not everyone, mind) and we should be allowed a seperate discussion :)

After further reading the Galaxy S seems loaded with problems like awful GPS, Wifi and other things you wouldn't expect and you certainly cannot rely on Samsung to fix anything :mad:

I'm going to have to try one side by side with my Desire before I make any decisions, as I said I am more impressed with the review than I was with the announcement of it, not 100% convinced yet though! :D

Man of Honour
So everyone here is buying them directly from Apple outright or?

Nobody going for a contract with a network provider at all? :eek:

Soldato
Ill be trying to get one with O2 renewing my contract, even though it isn't actually up yet (my current contract).

Not sure if I'll bother yet, depending how long it will take for me to get it in my hands and the fact it's quite expensive to renew my contract.

I won't be able to actually order it til Friday, so you never know, they might of sold out ha and If its a waiting game, I will just wait til the white ones are out

Associate
I've always thought the iphones looked good, I was seriously thinking about getting one instead of the Desire.

Im the same as you, I dont like the iphones software. I tried a friends 3G and I felt like I was using a toy. You invariably have a screen displaying some info and one onscreen option or something, it felt kiddy, like apple didnt think its users could deal with options or something.

I also dont like apple preaching about what features are 'cool and new' when my older phones could do them, and phones before them even.

My want to steer clear of the iphone (and apple products in general) are based on those two points, which I think a user has the right to decide. Fan boi's will always think differently however.....

They are a nice bit of kit though, I wouldn't say no to one, I'd just choose something else when spending my own money :)

Back
Top Bottom