*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Caporegime
Everyone I've shown it to have been pretty amazed by it so far, they're shocked how easy it works and at the quality. I think if everyone picks it up as a standard like Apple want them to, and once 4G networks are standard I'm sure it'll take off.

But thats the thing...not everyone will get an iphone4...well not for the prices they go for even on a contract unless your willing to shell out lots of money...it will be only restricted to the apple fanboi's who will sit there and fap over it:p

Soldato
But thats the thing...not everyone will get an iphone4...well not for the prices they go for even on a contract unless your willing to shell out lots of money...it will be only restricted to the apple fanboi's who will sit there and fap over it:p

Sure, but they're going to make it an open-standard for anyone to use. So it will defend on the device manufacture. I'd would hope people take up the way the iPhone does it because the Android way is horrible, having to sign up for separate accounts and launch applications.

Caporegime
Sure, but they're going to make it an open-standard for anyone to use. So it will defend on the device manufacture. I'd would hope people take up the way the iPhone does it because the Android way is horrible, having to sign up for separate accounts and launch applications.

LOL Android is tied into google;)...much like the iphone is tied into itunes.

Dont know what your on about with regards to to signing up to different accounts and launch applications.

Gotta commend you apple fanboi's though in your defence of everything apple:p:D

Soldato
LOL Android is tied into google;)...much like the iphone is tied into itunes.

Dont know what your on about with regards to to signing up to different accounts and launch applications.

Gotta commend you apple fanboi's though in your defence of everything apple:p:D

Just in defence of the best implementation of video calling so far.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/technology/personaltech/17pogue.html?_r=1

This article discusses the pains of video calling for other devices. I'd take the iPhone 4 way of doing things any day.

After two days of fiddling, downloading and uninstalling apps, manually force-quitting programs and waiting for servers to be upgraded, I finally got video calling to work — sort of. Sometimes there was only audio and a black screen, sometimes only a freeze-frame; at best, the video was blocky and the audio delay absurd.

To make video calling work, you have to install an app yourself: either Fring or Qik. But we never did get Fring to work, and Qik requires people you call to press a Talk button when they want to speak. The whole thing is confusing and, to use the technical term, iffy.

Caporegime
Just in defence of the best implementation of video calling so far.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/technology/personaltech/17pogue.html?_r=1

This article discusses the pains of video calling for other devices. I'd take the iPhone 4 way of doing things any day.

Which is fair enough,...in terms of ease yeh they iphone way of doing it is easier...i find it a bit insulting though to my intelligence that you have to do it apples way or no way.

Anyhow im sure we will see one way or another if this much vaunted video calling is going to be popular or not

Man of Honour
Nobody is doubting its the best implementation so far, but with regard to it taking off, I don't think it will really, at least not for some time.

Reasons being -

• The iPhone 4 is a pretty expensive device and a lot of people probably won't end up getting one, at least not for a while.

• You need a good reason to choose to video call someone instead of just calling them normally, the reasons could be that you dont see them very often or have something you want to show them, or vice versa.

• Currently it can only be done over WiFi, which limits its use quite a lot and effectively makes it a glorified webcam that doesn't work with all other webcams.

• When it can be done over 3G/4G, the data transfer rate will be relatively high, quite a bit higher than streaming as you need to upload at the same time. This is an issue because mobile providers are currently keeping VERY tight strings on mobile data usage, with 1GB being the maximum available from most places.

However, I can see it becoming more popular in future, provided Apple make it backwards compatible with all new iPhone's and the mobile networks loosen up the data transfer limits that are currently in place.

It's certainly nice though, no doubt about it.

Soldato
Well the fact everyone won't buy an iPhone 4 is a moot point really, as it would need all device makers to come on board for it to take off. If everyone has a different system, you need different apps, different numbers or usernames to connect to, then it will never take off. Just like video calling so far hasn't take off because of all those problems.

The rest are just short-term problems which will disappear as technology advances.

Soldato
Yeah, Facetime needs the likes of HTC/Nokia etc. on board otherwise I don't think it'll take off.

And what are the chances of Apple letting them in on it? Slim to none? ;)

Soldato
Standards

FaceTime is based on numerous open standards.[1]
H.264 and AAC – video and audio codecs respectively
SIP – IETF signaling protocol for VoIP
STUN, TURN and ICE – IETF technologies for traversing firewalls and NAT
RTP and SRTP – IETF standards for delivering real-time and encrypted media streams for VoIP

I was under the impression the whole reason they bundled up existing open standards was for that exact reason - so it was available for others to adopt.

Soldato
Yeah, Facetime needs the likes of HTC/Nokia etc. on board otherwise I don't think it'll take off.

And what are the chances of Apple letting them in on it? Slim to none? ;)

Why should they make a competitor's product more attractive?

Open standards are funny - more often than not 'open' is actually 'standard available but company owns and attempts to screw over rivals' strategy.

If Apple turned over H.264 to the international telecoms union so that Apple didn't have control over it then I would call it 'open'.

Soldato
Why should they make a competitor's product more attractive?

Open standards are funny - more often than not 'open' is actually 'standard available but company owns and attempts to screw over rivals' strategy.

If Apple turned over H.264 to the international telecoms union so that Apple didn't have control over it then I would call it 'open'.

Well Apple don't have the power to just open up or hand over H.264 to anyone, so that can't happen.

I don't see why they'd want to screw anyone over, for this to work everyone has to adopt it. So its in their best interest to get everyone on board and make them happy.

Caporegime
Everyone I've shown it to have been pretty amazed by it so far, they're shocked how easy it works and at the quality. I think if everyone picks it up as a standard like Apple want them to, and once 4G networks are standard I'm sure it'll take off.

From what I've read the iPhone 4 doesn't support 4g.

Soldato
From what I've read the iPhone 4 doesn't support 4g.

I was just talking about the future of FaceTime, not just the iPhone 4. Once 4G networks are commonplace there won't be a reliance on Wifi to keep the same video and audio quality, and then it should in theory really take off.

Soldato
We'll probably be on the 6th generation iPhone by the time there is a 4G network worth talking about in this country anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it much for now :p

Man of Honour
Something I've not mentioned so far. The battery is INSANELY good :eek:

I opened it and charged it to full, so its on its 'first' charge at the moment, which is usually worse than future charges so it will probably improve, but -

Usage - 4 Hours, 58 minutes (taken nearly 100 pictures, recorded 20 minutes of video, played music out loud for quite a while, 1-2 hours of phone calls, brightness is set quite high too)

Standby - 2 Days, 14 hours

Battery is on 37% :eek:

Can't ask for more than that.

Caporegime
Something I've not mentioned so far. The battery is INSANELY good :eek:

I opened it and charged it to full, so its on its 'first' charge at the moment, which is usually worse than future charges so it will probably improve, but -

Usage - 4 Hours, 58 minutes (taken nearly 100 pictures, recorded 20 minutes of video, played music out loud for quite a while, 1-2 hours of phone calls, brightness is set quite high too)

Standby - 2 Days, 14 hours

Battery is on 37% :eek:

Can't ask for more than that.

Well thats a relief:p...seeing as past iphones suffered from horrendous battery life...

Soldato
well ran into my first issue with 4g, itunes bugged me with the carrier updateagain and i decided to do it:confused:. now cant browse can still text and phone peeps but thats it

Back
Top Bottom