*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Caporegime
I can't get my hands on one for love nor money. Stores tried in Exeter today:

Apple Store - No Stock, currently on waiting list.
Carphone Warehouse - 16 and 32GB in stock, won't sell me on PAYG or SIM free.
Phones4U - No stock, won't sell one on PAYG or SIM free anyway.
Orange Shop - 16 and 32GB in stock, won't sell me one on PAYG.

Phoned Cribbs Causeway and Bristol Centre Apple stores - no stock.

Although I think the white models might be right around the corner and apparantly Apple stores have stock of those?

Tbh you would probably get one quicker if you ordered through apple direct:p...ive been on the regent st apple store waiting list for around a week or so and nothing yet....still have about 2 weeks before i get my apple direct ordered iphone4 though...god knows why they are having so much trouble getting stock in.

Man of Honour
Tbh you would probably get one quicker if you ordered through apple direct:p...ive been on the regent st apple store waiting list for around a week or so and nothing yet....still have about 2 weeks before i get my apple direct ordered iphone4 though...god knows why they are having so much trouble getting stock in.

I doubt they are having 'trouble', just keeping people hungry for the phone as usual :p

Associate
I can't get my hands on one for love nor money. Stores tried in Exeter today:

Apple Store - No Stock, currently on waiting list.
Carphone Warehouse - 16 and 32GB in stock, won't sell me on PAYG or SIM free.
Phones4U - No stock, won't sell one on PAYG or SIM free anyway.
Orange Shop - 16 and 32GB in stock, won't sell me one on PAYG.

Phoned Cribbs Causeway and Bristol Centre Apple stores - no stock.

Although I think the white models might be right around the corner and apparantly Apple stores have stock of those?
Apple are the only people selling sim free at the moment, and they aren't going to have free stock for at least a month unless you go into a store and ask to be put on the priority list.

Associate
I'm still waiting for mine via 3 on contract, they've told me the delivery will be on the 27th so not long now :)

Regarding people having problems getting handsets via o2, just call the customer services, my colleague called on Thursday lunch to upgrade, it was delivered this morning...

Caporegime
O2 have loads in stock now I nearly upgraded but decided to switch to Vodafone (20% discount), just waiting for Vodafone to get stock in. My 3G is stupidly slow compared to the missuses 4.

Soldato
OK so I am a first time apple user (aside from Ipods which were discarded because of Itunes) and thought I would put up some thoughts of my first few hours with the iphone 4.

I needed a new phone and decided to give the iphone 4 a go; today the regent street store called me to tell me my reserved iphone was in stock. I popped along at 6pm and promptly had to wait for 1 hour before buying my phone... not what i expected from the famed apple service but no matter. I got home shoved the iphone on charge and went away.

The screen is pretty amazing and I love the resolution and clarity (i wish it was larger though with the same resolution). The phone feels heavy and reassuring too. First impressions are good; plus points apple.

Itunes- uuuurgh still hate it but I guess I will bear that cross to see what the phone can do; it is a serious irritation for me that I cannot display my music by folder. Registration etc is completed and I can set the phone up.

First things first- setting up email. This was an absolute doddle. Very happy with it. The mail program downloaded 50 emails and marked them as unread. Why can I not select a batch to mark them as read? Negative points for this as quite frankly it is a shocking oversight.

The UI is looking dated now. I realise I have come to love the widgets android gave me. Never mind, this is all about embracing the apple way.

Next I go onto the web- the lack of flash I knew about but it really pains me that I have a powerful phone in my hand for the first time ever (my old hero didnt have the oomph) and I cant view the bbc website in all its glory. No BBC app either. GRRRRR. In general, aside from this, the web page viewing experience is gorgeous.

App store to complete a first foray into iphone land; angry birds is too addictive as is flick free kick. I lost so much time to just enjoying the beautifully realised physics. at £0.59 each, major plus points.

At the moment I sit here tonight torn; there are glimpses of the magic, there really are. I am really disgruntled that I will need to spend the next 2 weekends sorting out my itunes library and there are so many little ui shortcomings that every other smartphone has and I take for granted:
- better email management programs (marking as read and saving files with unknown extensions for forwarding later)
- flash; this is still a major part of my web viewing experience; mainly because I would love access to the BBC video and audio clips whilst i am on the move

As you can probably tell, I am conflicted. I really want to embrace the iphone phenomenon, and will report back in a few days, but I am not blown away. Aside from the screen, it just seems to fall behind the other top android smartphones.

Incidentally, I am neither an android nor apple fanboi (android has huge fragmentation issues); I just want a phone that doesnt seem to have glaringly obvious problems that never get resolved (android relies on manufacturers actually updating their handsets with updates; sometimes resulting in 8 month delays).

edit- maybe this is just a whinge, i ahve just spent a large amount of cash on a phone that feels like it is not delivering; apologies if it offends

Soldato
Excellent post, interesting that you've mentioned some things that I also find irritating about the iPhone.

- I don't like iTunes, would rather just drag and drop MP3s in.
- No BBC app, but this is not Apple's fault. If you have a quick google, there IS a BBC app but it's not available in the UK because of it requiring BBC Trust approval. :)
- Lack of flash? I actually like this. Flash seems to run horribly unless you go overkill with hardware. I certainly don't miss the lag as pages pause to load flash content.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
I am really disgruntled that I will need to spend the next 2 weekends sorting out my itunes library

i feel your pain!

Spend the time getting it right though and it will last a lifetime. I'd suggest MusizBrainzPicard (might bew spelt differently, but deff picard) to tag your folders, then import them.

I disike itunes too, but actually once setup it has some plus points. I upgraded from a 3G to a 4 recently, plugged the 4 in, and within about 5 mins my 4 was setup EXACTLY as my 3G. Messages copioed over, apps with settings, and even wallpapers/ringtones and bookmarks.

Back
Top Bottom