Poll: *** The All New Windows AV Thread - Keep All AV Questions in Here ***

What AV do you use?

• Total voters
Soldato
If you have online banking see what you're bank offers. Barclay's provide single user Kaspersky for free or upgrade to a 5 device license for ~£10 each year.

I also run Malwarebytes periodically too.

Soldato
bimbleuk said:
If you have online banking see what you're bank offers. Barclay's provide single user Kaspersky for free or upgrade to a 5 device license for ~£10 each year.

I also run Malwarebytes periodically too.
I've got the same, you can even get a Kaspersky key for the mobile app version.

Caporegime
I used Windows Defender and Malwarebytes in Win7. Haven't managed to get round to installing Malwarebytes in 10 yet but Windows Defender is enabled by default and I don't see any need to install something else. I only use the PC for gaming, all my browsing/mailing/banking etc is done on an iPad.

Soldato
I'm finding Windows 10 defender to be useless. I downloaded a dodgy file today and ran defender to try and get rid of it with no success. Then ran malwarebytes which found around 8 threats.

Associate
panda +1 here free version does its job got after being recommended by a m8 that works in IT .My only niggle is you get the odd pop up with the upgrade thing never used to do it but only a minor thing

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I'm finding Windows 10 defender to be useless. I downloaded a dodgy file today and ran defender to try and get rid of it with no success. Then ran malwarebytes which found around 8 threats.

Why are you downloading dodgy files?

Soldato
Why are you downloading dodgy files?

It was from a site I thought was safe as I have used it many times before. It was handy when I had I think AVG and could right click a file to scan it for viruses before opening. Might try that and get rid of windows defender as it doesnt seem to be as good as this poll makes out, unless it has changed since it was security essentials?

Last edited:
Soldato
I always said I would never would pay for an AV but decided to try Bitdefender Total Security 2016.

I must say was very impressed with it in general, I like the auto pilot mode which takes care of everything so it's like having a silent AV.

I found a good deal and got the multi PC user version for £7.99 for two years sub, can have it on three different PCs and also still have some of the free trial period left as well.
It has official support for Win10 as well so another plus point.

Seems very light on CPU usage ie you don't notice it is there, I can't complain about my online gaming or general PC usage with it, that is for sure.
I forgot to say disable "scan SSL" which is in web protection, otherwise it will block a lot of websites, even here at Overclockers.

What to do when Security Certificates cannot be verified/installed

This warning is presented by a web browser when accessing a site that has a security certificate installed (for SSL/TLS data encryption) which cannot be verified or installed by the web browser.

To solve this issue, we recommend you to temporarily turn off “Scan SSL” feature in Bitdefender as follows:

bring up the main Bitdefender interface
click on Settings from the upper right toolbar
From Settings Overview choose Privacy Control
In the Antiphishing tab use the switch to temporarily turn off Scan SSL feature

Now close the Bitdefender window and try to access the webpage one more time.

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/support/what-to-do-when-security-certificates-cannot-be-verified-installed-1090.html

:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom