1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: *** The All New Windows AV Thread - Keep All AV Questions in Here ***

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by TheHitMan-1973, Feb 15, 2014.

?

What AV do you use?

1. Avira AntiVir

2.9%
  2. AVG

5.8%
  3. Avast!

14.8%
  4. BitDefender

4.7%
  5. Panda

0.8%
  6. Microsoft Security Essentials

19.7%
  7. BitDefender

2.9%
  8. Sophos

2.5%
  9. McAfee

1.7%
  10. Norton/Symantec

3.0%
  11. Eset NOD32

12.0%
  12. Kaspersky

10.1%
  13. Trend

0.3%
  14. Other

3.5%
  15. I do not run any AV other than OS built in (E.g. Windows Defender)

15.2%
  1. Admiral Huddy

Don

Having removed Kaspersky, I have now switch to Avast free edition, and wondered if was worth paying fro the paid up edition?

2. Th0nt

Soldato

Probably not. Have you tried Panda free or Bitdefender first?

3. Elevon

Mobster

I have Avast Premier installed (My bitdefender Total Security expired and was cheaper to go with Avast Premier), purchased it for two years at a really low price, like all things it's down to if you use the extra features in the paid version, no advertising popups was one thing that I hated with free version, however for me yes it was worth it over the free version with the extra features you get.

4. Elevon

Mobster

New Avast version out!..

5. Elevon

Mobster

Another new program update for Avast.

6. Rezident

Mobster

Now that I have uninstalled Kaspersky, are the free AV/internet security ok now? I had always thought AV was worth paying for.

7. 2013

Mobster

Yes a lot of them are good, the difference is the paid for models have a few extras.
    Ive been using avast, others will have a different choice but If your not sure about using something new why don't you use kaspersky free.

8. Rezident

Mobster

The extras are confusing on a lot of the AV sites, there are many 'extras' which are superfluous or just marketing. All I really need is AV + internet security to block dodgy pages. I've been paying for kaspersky for years and it is good (once you don't do anything to interest the russian government!). Free AV should be fine, I am just concerned about internet security, dodgy sites, browser hijacks etc. My wife managed to install a paricularly nasty browser hijack a few years ago (if it was a cunning plan to get me to buy her a laptop, it worked!).

Are the free ones good for general browsing security nowadays? I don't mind paying for that, if it is worth it?

9. Gee

Mobster

10. 2013

Mobster

I would say you can get away with using just a free AV and a good anti spyware, windows already has a firewall built in but you can get free 3rd party firewalls like zonealarm.

I normally use Avast + windows firewall + malwarebytes

11. Rainmaker

Sgarrista

Windows Defender and common sense is ample nowadays. It (finally) ranks quite well in tests now. It has built in cloud monitoring, ransomware protection and so on. That said, you still didn't need to pay for Bitdefender (excellent as it is, tbf). Kaspersky now do a free version with everything but their firewall.

12. Rezident

Mobster

OK great, that is good to know. I will do a bit more research but that would be good to go with a free version now as the paid versions are getting pricy. Cheers.

13. Gee

Mobster

It was £13 mate, hardly breaking the bank.

14. Rainmaker

Sgarrista

Of course lol... I actually misread your post. You said 'but I won't be renewing' which indicates you've made a choice. Actually, Barclays no longer offer Kaspersky following the GCHQ advice re: possibly compromised Russian software. I originally thought you said you use Kaspersky but *can't* renew. Hence the suggestion of their new free version. :)

15. Elevon

Mobster

New Avast version out!

16. BinnsY

Wise Guy

I had to admit defeat and uninstall avast today. I've been using it for years and always rated it highly but I got sick of the constant "we know what you are looking at so here is our VPN" style adverts and coupled with this update slapping its ridiculous secure browser on my desktop and trying to make it my default unless I ticked a bunch of boxes was the final straw. It used to be a superb product but the latest updates have ruined it for me. I think I'm just going to stick with defender now.

17. red eye

Wise Guy

is mse still a good free av?
    I’m running win 10 and mse, every full scan comes back clean. win 7 used to find the odd virus

18. Sliver

Capodecina

Ok, so I've been using Kaspersky anti virus for years, and it's great. However, the other day I was on a pron site and downloaded a virus which Kaspersky didn't spot. It wrecked my PC. I couldn't do hardly anything. I was able to connect to the web with great difficulty due to redirects, pops and system restarts but I did manage to download AVG anti virus to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't so I had to do a reinstall but still keeping my files. That did get rid of the virus but now I get a message that I'm running two anti virus programs, which is bad. So I tried today to uninstall AVG but the bloody thing won't let me. I've spent hours on the internet today trying to find a way to get rid of it but every website is full of crap. Nothing works. I can't get rid of it.

Anyone know how to remove AVG?

19. dowie

Caporegime

sorry, I use a Mac for my general browsing etc.. and don't get viruses :)

20. foster grant

Soldato

It keeps popping up even after you try to dump it ? ....do you have system restore on ?...some viruses use system restore to hhang around I think, I have mine set to off.

what site was it you were on ?