• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3080 Owners Thread

Soldato
I tried Thundermaster, but for some reason whenever I click away from the fan duty page and go back it seems to have reverted back to auto. Am I being really stupid and missing a save/apply button somewhere?
My Palit 3080 fans seem to spin up from 0% to 30% whenever I open an application in Windows. Any application, not doing anything that's using the GPU. Any idea why it's doing that?
I'm having the exact same issues as well, exactly as you've both described, i'm using a RTX 3090 though.

• Fan profiles don't stick and theres no apply or save button on thundermaster
  • Fans spin up whenever theres a load on the gpu even though fanstop should not kick in till it reaches a particular preset temp
  • Gpu Clocks sometimes gets stuck at full load after a gaming session (I'm running multi monitor though so that might have something to do with it).
Wondering if these are driver related issues or conflicting third part software like Msi afterburner and precision x? Might try a DDU first then a fresh install.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried Thundermaster, but for some reason whenever I click away from the fan duty page and go back it seems to have reverted back to auto. Am I being really stupid and missing a save/apply button somewhere?

IDK TBH, it isn't as intuitive or polished as some, and I haven't spent anytime with it other than the 10 mins trying the fan control.

Soldato
IDK TBH, it isn't as intuitive or polished as some, and I haven't spent anytime with it other than the 10 mins trying the fan control.
Same, when i looked at their youtube page they seem to have a lot of complaints regarding the software. I've since uninstalled it and gone back to afterburner for now until they fix it. Only real thing i really wanted it for is the RGB control on the card.

Soldato
They're not transistors, and Jay doesn't actually know what's he's talking about.

Jay has a nasty habit of jumping on technical news like this from other outlets and spinning his own video quickly to try to make money off views.

A particularly nasty one in my eyes was when he did one about the Corsair XG7 block leaking issue and couldn't even be bothered to link the original video from Major Hardware who discovered it.

Ico

Ico

Associate
so we have new nvidia driver released. Anyone use it now. ? Any boost clock changes compare to previous driver

Associate
I tried the new drivers, I posted this in the capacitors thread so will just copy paste:

Yep the new driver has fixed it, at least for me. Before the card couldn’t go over 2GHz, now I can overclock it so that it never drops below 2GHz and still remains stable. The difference seems to be that the clock and voltage are much more stable whereas before it would jump about the boost table aggressively. Either that or Nvidia downloaded new capacitors into the drivers.

I have a Gaming X Trio.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lots of reports that the driver has fixed the 2GHz bug on the Nvidia Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/j1ccfq/game_ready_driver_45655_faqdiscussion/

It's not resolved the crashing on BF5 at stock for mine but does seem so much more stable and weirdly clocks higher on stock, only had the 1 crash with it, took a while until it did, now back to an undervolt. Just running a few stress tests but it's passed the timespy extreme, port royal (@ 99.7% stability!) stress tests in 3dmark so, so far so good at 1845mhz @ 0.875v, 45mhz higher than my previous highest achievable stable undervolt under the old drivers. Seems to sustain a boost up to 1860mhz despite setting at 1845mhz. Currently running the firestrike ultra stress test then going to try unigine heaven on 4k extreme on loop for a good number of hours.

Associate
I'm having the exact same issues as well, exactly as you've both described, i'm using a RTX 3090 though.

• Fan profiles don't stick and theres no apply or save button on thundermaster
  • Fans spin up whenever theres a load on the gpu even though fanstop should not kick in till it reaches a particular preset temp
  • Gpu Clocks sometimes gets stuck at full load after a gaming session (I'm running multi monitor though so that might have something to do with it).
Wondering if these are driver related issues or conflicting third part software like Msi afterburner and precision x? Might try a DDU first then a fresh install.

I tried DDU, but nothing. Also uninstalling anything that might be controlling the fans. I've emailed Palit support about it - will let you know if I hear back.

Soldato
I tried DDU, but nothing. Also uninstalling anything that might be controlling the fans. I've emailed Palit support about it - will let you know if I hear back.
I’ve tried the same and to no avail, i tweeted them and emailed support as well. Thanks for getting back to me.

Associate
My 2080ti Fe on water does 336w mining (currently at 48c).

I worry about the next power bill.
Saw somewhere that a shunted/flashed 2080ti clocked high gets much closer to the 3080. I skipped the 20xx, and never tried hard to clock the 1080ti.
I wonder if the 3080 has much more oc headroom with more aggro modding.

Soldato
Just landed.

ittroll3080.jpg

Back
Top Bottom