The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Soldato
I am pretty sure that the region coding is on the BD drive as well as the disc and after x changes of region it locks down to one region
Best way would be to rip and remove the coding from the disc (same rule applies though using discs from different regions will lock it down)

I think anyway,could be wrong

Soldato
Slightly off topic, but is there an easy way to make a PC region free for blu-ray playback? (I've got a blu-ray drive that's never been used to play blu-rays, just burn discs).

I was trying to find out similar, blu ray support on the PC is terrible :( Not sure if it would be firmware for the drive or via software.

Soldato
Anydvd or Anyhd will remove coding but the issue with the BD drive remains 5 changes?and its locked
Powerdvd or similar allows playback but is quite pricey last time i looked
Easiest is rip all to hdd,remove coding if you like then play with MPC or similar

Soldato
Slightly off topic, but is there an easy way to make a PC region free for blu-ray playback? (I've got a blu-ray drive that's never been used to play blu-rays, just burn discs).

I'm sure that Anydvdhd used to sort this out (I think its now Redfox or something?). I'm sure that I used it for that reason before (unfortunately the only PC BD drive I have is in my laptop and that has decided that its screen is knackered). I'll be getting a USB BD tomorrow but that's just for ripping.

I'm hoping that the Undine kickstarter will make high enough to cover the remainder of the property (although I'm not that impressed with it being an add-on item, same as the art book, rather than part of the actual levels).

Associate
I'm sure that Anydvdhd used to sort this out (I think its now Redfox or something?). I'm sure that I used it for that reason before (unfortunately the only PC BD drive I have is in my laptop and that has decided that its screen is knackered). I'll be getting a USB BD tomorrow but that's just for ripping.

I'm hoping that the Undine kickstarter will make high enough to cover the remainder of the property (although I'm not that impressed with it being an add-on item, same as the art book, rather than part of the actual levels).
It needs to make just over $40K in the remaining 9 days, and also while it states that the remainder of the material is an add-on, you have to back at either of the double plus levels that are available to get the first two seasons although there's nothing about where the artbook would appear (the third season would most likely add more tiers when it gets funded).

Associate

I use "DVDFab Passkey" it get around the only having five change before it lock the drive with out changing code. because it doesn't change the code on the drive, means you can change it as many time you want. google it you should find it easily enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
It needs to make just over $40K in the remaining 9 days, and also while it states that the remainder of the material is an add-on, you have to back at either of the double plus levels that are available to get the first two seasons although there's nothing about where the artbook would appear (the third season would most likely add more tiers when it gets funded).

I know, I am backing a double plus tier already and have been since they were listed, (increasing from an original to a plus and then to a double plus).

The guidebook is an add-on item and has always been listed as such. I'll probably get the add-on items to go with the other stuff I've already got (including the Japanese anime artbook, the hardcover and slip cover illustration works books by Kozue Amano and some canvas' I've had made up)

Commissario
OP
I'm umming and arring about the double plus, but it's a lot.

If I knew it was going to get a UK release (several nozomi titles have now), I'd wait, but I'm sorely tempted, and it would give me something fun to look forward to if I go with it.

I'm going to give it some thought for now.

Soldato
I'm umming and arring about the double plus, but it's a lot.

If I knew it was going to get a UK release (several nozomi titles have now), I'd wait, but I'm sorely tempted, and it would give me something fun to look forward to if I go with it.

I'm going to give it some thought for now.

I think at the moment for the art book and the season 1 & 2 BDs at the prima plus plus level it comes to ~$281 with international shipping. Don't know yet how much this will be pushed up by the rest of the BDs.

Even if you can't support a level it may be worth picking up one of the lowest levels so you can be a slacker backer and pick up the BDs afterwards at the discounted rate at least (see the updates where they talk about this recently).

edit: And $356 for everything and the guide book at the Prima (triple plus) level including international shipping. (ouch)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Darker than Black. Wow! What a stunning piece of work. I felt it ended a little too abruptly, with a whiff of deus ex machina, but it was such a great concept and so well executed, I can let that go. Great to see some good quality anime noir.

Speed Grapher. Another fantastic noir anime. Great concept, highly ambitious plot, well developed characters, satisfying conclusion, and an astonishing amount of sex.

Seriously, I reckon there's a solid half an hour of sex in the entire series.

The antagonist is one of the best villains I've seen since the Claw Man in Gun X Sword. And how about that opening theme, eh? Perfect choice, and took me back a few years! :D

The 30-something protagonist starts off with a girlfriend his own age, and ends up in a romantic relationship with a 15 year old schoolgirl. But this is Japan, so... I guess it's OK?

:eek: :confused:

Commissario
OP
I think at the moment for the art book and the season 1 & 2 BDs at the prima plus plus level it comes to ~$281 with international shipping. Don't know yet how much this will be pushed up by the rest of the BDs.

Even if you can't support a level it may be worth picking up one of the lowest levels so you can be a slacker backer and pick up the BDs afterwards at the discounted rate at least (see the updates where they talk about this recently).

edit: And $356 for everything and the guide book at the Prima (triple plus) level including international shipping. (ouch)
I've decided to be good and not order it.

I love the series but can't justify what looks like it'll end up being £200+ (after taxes) on 3 series I've already got on DVD for upscales (no matter how good) and one I haven't. especially as it could require additional expense to be able to play it (and I'm fairly determined not to end up with a lot of Blu-rays I can't play on a UK player).

I'll wait and hope that there is a release in the UK (we got Clannad!), or possibly the EU/Aus.

I've not been so good in that I have ordered the new Wolf's Rain collectors edition BD from MVM as it's £42 on pre-order (although they do take the money straight away usually), as it's a great series and I've been wanting to watch it again for ages.

Soldato
Understandable .... although I admit I've been really bad lately including the Gurren Lagann (TV+Movies Ltd edition collectors) BD boxset to upgrade my DVDs before it goes out of print (and quite a bit of other stuff non-anime related)

Commissario
OP
Outlaw Star is very fun, and I think there were plans for a second series that unfortunately never made it to fruition, there is a related series called Angel Links but it's nowhere near as good.
The end song is very soothing to listen to, and I really liked the end illustrations which I thought at the time looked oddly familiar, it turns out the artist did some covers for classic sci-fi as well.

Back
Top Bottom