The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Associate
Outlaw Star is very fun, and I think there were plans for a second series that unfortunately never made it to fruition, there is a related series called Angel Links but it's nowhere near as good.
The end song is very soothing to listen to, and I really liked the end illustrations which I thought at the time looked oddly familiar, it turns out the artist did some covers for classic sci-fi as well.

Yeah, i decided not to watch the 'sequel' and i really did enjoy Outlaw Star. Thankfully the uncut version. I think Melfina sings the end song and you're right, i think the song is really quite beautiful.

Now to figure out what else to watch...

Commissario
OP
IIRC we were lucky in the UK, we never had the edited version as that was only for Toonami in the US, we got the uncut TV version (I can't remember the channel name, but it showed OS, Bebop, Gundamn Wing and a few others), and then the uncut DVD's.

Commissario
OP
I spotted the Girls Und Panzer film was up for pre-order when looking at Bebop the movie :)

I've just finished Nadesico again, as I treated myself to the blu-ray set when it was on offer last month (it's taken me a month to watch it all), it's still as good as I remember it being, and despite the series being an upscale it looks good.
I would have liked to see more set after the film, and it would have been nice if there had been some form of animated summary of the events in the "gap or two years" that the game was set in, and I

I'm just starting Ghost in the Shell Arise at long last, I picked the blu-rays for that up last month cheap :)
So far after episode 1 I'm really liking it, as it's a different setting/time to the other GITS works.

Soldato
in case no one seen yet alltheanime.com has listed Cowboy bebop Blu-ray - standard edition for £19.99 until Monday.

Absolutely love Bebop... probabs my favorite anime of all time.

Question, do people (still) use MyAnimeList?

I'm watching through Last Exile at the mo; two thirds of the way through and it's pretty solid (thought the plot has become a bit hazy). Can't believe it's 14 years old!

Su

Commissario
OP
Absolutely love Bebop... probabs my favorite anime of all time.

Question, do people (still) use MyAnimeList?

I'm watching through Last Exile at the mo; two thirds of the way through and it's pretty solid (thought the plot has become a bit hazy). Can't believe it's 14 years old!

Su
I still have a last exile picture as the background on my old phone (and at one point had it as the boot logo on a PC ;)).
It gets a little complicated to follow but is a great series, although the sequel is a little weak.

Associate
well I bought cowboy bebop off alltheanime.com but I going to have to wait until the middle of October until I buy the movie. also not to sure how true this is but read somewhere that it will be the movie first official release in this country as up until now you been only able to get it as a import.

Commissario
OP
It's the movies first official blu-ray release as the DVD was released by Columbia Tristar back in October 2003 (according to my notes October the 13th and I paid £13 for my copy:)).

You can watch the film after the series, or if you want to watch it during the series I think it can be watched at any point between about episode 8 and 20.

Caporegime
Burakku Buretto.

The world has gone to ****. Weird monsters are attacking. A crazy virus is spreading. There's a new metal called 'Varanium' which has proved useful against the monsters but not so much the virus. Who can save humanity?

None other than 10 year old girls, of course. Because Japan.

Enter our bold protagonist Satomi Lentarō, and his inappropriately sexual sidekick, 10 year old Aihara Enju.

Can they defeat the monsters? Perhaps. Is there a love interest for Lentarō? Naturally. Does she have big boobs? You better believe it. Will Lentarō finally man up and get his girl? Nope. Should we expect scenes of 10 year old girls getting repeatedly shot in the body and face? Absolutely. Do humans spout insanely unrealistic amounts of blood whenever they're hurt? Damn straight.

I thought this was pretty good, but it really deserved the 25-episode treatment.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Steins;Gate.

Self confessed 'mad scientist' Okabe Lintarō (aka Hououin Kyouma) teams up with a bunch of similarly eccentric mates to fight an evil corporation and save the future from the past by travelling through time with the help of a mobile phone attached to a microwave oven.

Time travel is a subgenre fraught with difficulties, but Steins;Gate handles it masterfully. The central characters are well developed and relatable. I ended up feeling strongly for all of them.

Lintarō himself is one of the greatest anime protagonists of all time, and the moral dilemmas he's faced with are genuinely challenging.

If Steins;Gate has a weakness, it's the abysmal use of English. For reasons that remain unclear to me, anime producers seem completely uninterested in finding voice actors who are fluent in English. As a result, we are typically presented with caucasian characters who speak very poor English in thick Japanese accents (despite being allegedly native English speakers) but have no trouble speaking flawless Japanese. Steins;Gate is sadly no exception, which detracts from what is otherwise a fantastic production.

The show begins in a lighthearted tone, with pop culture references (including well known memes) and outrageous scenes of explicit transvestism, but takes a radical turn somewhere around the twelfth episode, and becomes very dark very quickly. From this point it's clear that you're watching something pretty special.

Highly recommended.

Soldato
I still have a last exile picture as the background on my old phone (and at one point had it as the boot logo on a PC ;)).
It gets a little complicated to follow but is a great series, although the sequel is a little weak.

Just finished it now... the ending 100% lost me :confused:

The whole
space colony thing
was a total curve ball?!

Caporegime
Mayoiga. A bunch of young people travel to a fabled village where it is said that anyone can start a new life.

Things get pretty weird when they arrive and discover the village is deserted. Further weirdness ensues as monsters appear and start attacking everyone for no apparent reason. It's around this time that the first dead person is spotted.

Did I mention the song about the unlucky hippopotamus? Because there's a song about an unlucky hippopotamus.

With just 13 episodes, Mayoiga does a pretty good job of tying up all the loose ends, but still finishes a little too abruptly for my liking.

Witch Craft Works. Honoka Takamiya is an average student who shares a class with Ayaka Kagari, the beautiful and quite astonishingly buxom school idol. As luck would have it, she becomes infatuated with him, which is awkward because his character is based on the excruciatingly painful 'shy Japanese boy' stereotype (I guess Japan was running out of other races to be racist about).

Anyway, Takamiya manages to make the relationship work somehow, even though he never seems to find his second testicle and avoids numerous opportunities to snog his girlfriend.

Turns out that Kagari is a witch, and there's a whole big witch war thing going on in town, so naturally Takamiya is dragged into it solely for reasons that are convenient to the plot.

It's actually quite well done, and I enjoyed the spectacle even though the storyline wasn't much to write home about.

On a side note: this is the first anime I've seen in which the closing credits portray a bunch of witch girls experiencing a wide range of medieval tortures while cheerfully singing a theme tune.

Pippiko pippiko narase Witchi☆Akutibiti
Sono ke sono toki ikioi notteke! Notteke!
Which? Which? "Tou" to "Koubou"
Majo to majo de kongara gacchau kamo ne
Tattaka tattaka okose Fanshi♡Kuraishisu!
Ni-ju-yon-jikan dotchi mo kotchi mo Witch! Witch!

Neko mo shakushi mo mimi wo pikupiku kokoro ukiuki sasechatte
Hijoushiki to ka atarimae da zo mahou tsukau nara suki katte
To ni mo kaku ni mo hitomi kirakira mune ga kyunkyun shichatte
Sore ga "koi" nara atatteku dakero
Jumon no superu ha "suki nan desu♡"

"Kono omoi kanaeta mae" inoru yori kanaechae
Kemono-teki honnou de kusou・mousou nante teritori!

Pippikopippiko ugoke Witchi☆Akutibiti
Moe mo firingu mo omimi de hyougen! Hyougen!
Chikku takku hodokenai yo?
Hari yo maware kongara gacchau kurai
Chitchiki chitchiki 3,2,1 Fanshi♡Kuraishisu!
Kimi no sekai ha dotchi mo kotchi mo Witch! Witch!

Inu mo arukeba shippo furifuri kokoro dokidoki takabutte
Kachikan nante shinkirou da yo ne houki ni noru nara tobitatte
Hone orizon no romansu pikapika itsumo runrun utatte♪
Dakara "koi" toka shinji you da ne
Jibun ni kakatta mahou desho

Ura wakaki otome nara negau yori hashicchaou
Esora-teki kanjou ga bousou・enjou shichau fantaji!

Pippiko pippiko susume Witchi☆Akutibiti
"Toki yo tomare"
Anata ha honto ni Charming! Charming!
Which? Which? Tomaranai
Me ga mawatte kongara gacchau mirai
Chitchiki chitchiki koko de totsuzen kuizu
Kimi no seikai ha kekkyoku kyukyoku Witch! Witch!

Sou, kotae ha itsudatte tsukuru mono dazo!
Kimi ga kimi ga kimi ga kimi ga kimi ga kimi dake no mahou de!

Pippiko pippiko narase Witchi☆Akutibiti
Sono ke sono toki ikioi notteke! Notteke!
Which? Which? Kyou mo koubou!
Koi to koi de kongara gacchau rabirinsu
Tattaka tattaka icchau yo Fanshi♡Kuraishisu!
Every Day & Night atchi mo sotchi mo Witch! Witch!

Oh, Japan...

Last edited:
Associate
I done that myself many of time cancel the order off amazon and re-order it off alltheanime.com as it cheaper. but I notice that sometime you got to wait maybe month or week and half before it released that the site will take orders from you for something.

Back
Top Bottom