The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Commissario
OP
Original language is always best, the last time I heard a good dub was with the Hellsing OVA's.
I vaguely remember the Dub director for that (I can't remember his name) saying how he specifically went with people who were either British or had spent significant amounts of time in the UK for many of the roles as he didn't want to Dick Van Dyke it (or words to that effect).

I'm probably going to make a start on the Akira manga soon, as I had a huge, heavy package containing it arrive the other day.

Soldato
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...nime-reveals-teaser-visual-main-staff/.124417

When high schooler Haruka moves to Okinawa, she finds herself enamored with the beach right outside her front door and resolves to form a volleyball team with her cousin, Kanata. However, because she's so short, Kanata gave up on volleyball ages ago. Can Haruka get her to take up the sport again in time for the junior tournament?

An challenger appears to defeat Keijo!!!!!! as the pinnacle of anime.

Can't wait. :D

Soldato
Watched "Your Name" it is a great movie, absolutely beautiful. I watched the dubbed version and I have to say the songs sounded silly so watching in the original language with English subs may offer better experience.

In any case, lovely movie.
Listening to the English language trailer made me feel ill. :<

Apart from american accents seem completely out of place, it seems most US anime VAs put on silly wispery voices as an tempt to sound like teenagers. The results sound creepy.

Soldato
Listening to the English language trailer made me feel ill. :<

Apart from american accents seem completely out of place, it seems most US anime VAs put on silly wispery voices as an tempt to sound like teenagers. The results sound creepy.

Dubs these days sound like California Vallery Girls, it sounds out of place and terrible, especially when they replace Japanese terminology with Westen words.

Like Werewolf mentioned, I feel the best dubbing is done by the British, the dubbing back in the late 90's by Manga Entertainment was really good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dubs these days sound like California Vallery Girls, it sounds out of place and terrible, especially when they replace Japanese terminology with Westen words.

Like Werewolf mentioned, I feel the best dubbing is done by the British, the dubbing back in the late 90's by Manga Entertainment was really good.

Yes, I remember (we, uk,media,animation,anime newsgroup) taking **** out of Manga Video a lot, back in the day. But in comparison to the current US dubbing, they are good/great. A lot of the problem with Mangels dubbing was the changes in translation and add explitives, though in some cases it may have improved them. :D

Lol brilliant.

Soldato
Yes, I remember (we, uk,media,animation,anime newsgroup) taking **** out of Manga Video a lot, back in the day. But in comparison to the current US dubbing, they are good/great. A lot of the problem with Mangels dubbing was the changes in translation and add explitives, though in some cases it may have improved them. :D

Lol brilliant.

Now I feel this is a good example of good dubbing, it's a mix of English/American actors, but it sounds good to me. I do emit, I could be bias since my first anime (we called it Manga back then) exposure was these movies.

If you not seen Cyber City Odeo 808, I highly recommend it, 3 OVA's of about 40+ minutes, pretty NSFW.

They don't make Anime like this anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now I feel this is a good example of good dubbing, it's a mix of English/American actors, but it sounds good to me. I do emit, I could be bias since my first anime (we called it Manga back then) exposure was these movies.

If you not seen Cyber City Odeo 808, I highly recommend it, 3 OVA's of about 40+ minutes, pretty NSFW.

They don't make Anime like this anymore.

Yup I had this one in mind when I was typing my post, classic. Seems I got this and Devilman Part2 on the same day 15/10/1994. :)

Commissario
OP
The first lot of offers are up at All the anime, Escaflowne ultimate edition for £53, Eureka 7 UE for £90, Giovani's Island Ultimate Edtion £10, Terror In Resonance Ultimate Edition £35, and Miss Hokusa Ulitmate edition.

I've got Esflowne and E7, and none of the others really appeal to me at the moment.

Caporegime
Finished Attack on Titan S1 last night. My god...this is one of the best Animes I have ever seen! :eek: The plot is fantastic and I really feel like they are not rushing the story which is one of my main bug bears with say Dragon Ball Super. Is S2 available in the dub so I can continue in that? :)

Back
Top Bottom