The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Soldato
Ok, so MVM's first day of Christmas sale is up .... and is a bit disappointing really. I have a few things on it already but the pricing seems quite high overall. Yes they say oh there's this big discount from the RRP but I question how many of those things normally sell around that RRP anyway. I not really seeing any real great deals on it which make me want to go for them at the moment, unlike last year.

Associate
here what mvm got on offer for start of there xmas promotions

A Lull in the Sea Complete Series Collector's Edition (12) Blu-Ray

Flip Flappers Collection - Collector's Edition (12) Blu-Ray

Fruits Basket Collection - Collector's Edition (PG) Blu-Ray

Garden of Sinners Movie Collection (18) DVD

GATE - Collector's Edition Combi (15) BD/DVD

Grimoire of Zero Collector's Edition Combi (15) BD/DVD

Log Horizon Season 1 & 2 Collector's Edition (12) Blu-Ray

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun Collector's Edition Combi Collection (12) BD/DVD

Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? On The Side Collector's Edition Combi (15) BD/DVD

Tenchi Muyo OVA Collector's Edition Combi (15) BD/DVD

The Eccentric Family Series Collector's Edition Collection (12) Blu-Ray

Commissario
OP
I'm tempted by a couple of those offers, but I'm trying to be strong...and I've already got several of them either on DVD or BD.

Today's ATA offers are:

Escaflowne: TV Series & Movie Ltd Edition Blu-ray Collection - 12 Days of Christmas
£34.99

Martian Successor Nadesico - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
£19.99

Aldnoah.Zero: Part 1 - Blu-ray
£9.99

Aldnoah.Zero: Season 2 - Blu-ray
£9.99

Aldnoah.Zero Season 2 - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
£14.99

Gurren Lagann (TV Series) - Blu-ray
£12.99

Psycho-Pass The Movie - Blu-ray
£4.99

Heavy Object: Part 1 - Blu-ray
£12.99

Commissario
OP
As a break from anime sales, I actually sat down and watched some anime!

Namely the recent Blu-ray release of Matoko Shinkai's "5 centimeters per second", which I don't think I've seen in about 5+ years, I'd forgotten how beautifully it is done, not to mention much of the story
how melancholy the last act is, and how he plays with your expectations in suggesting Takaki and Akari have met/seen each other again
It's interesting having watched several of his films again over the last year seeing how certain themes, shots and ideas are used by him repeatedly but to differing ends, as I can see elements of Your Name, Voices and The Place Promised in our Early days in 5cm.

I'm probably going to end up putting Your Name on again tomorrow, as opposed to the ever increasing stack of new stuff I've not got round to watching (I was looking for something earlier and found 4 of last years bundle anime's* that I've not got round to watching for example)

[edit]
I just went to order the manga of 5cm, looked at the picture on Amazon and thought "I think I've got that", looked to my left and sure enough on the shelf along with a load of other manga I haven't got round to reading was a copy of it:p

*Mainly stuff I wasn't in a massive rush to watch so it got pushed to the back of the "new queue".

Soldato
Picked up Martian Successor Nadesico and Aldnoah.Zero from ATA yesterday. The rest I have either got or not want.

Today's MVM list is based around FSN ... I've already got the first season on BD and at 30 quid/part I don't really want to spend that much for unlimited blade works at the moment. I did pick up Little Busters Refrain on BD from their normal deal of the week though.

Currently rewatching Love Hina :)

Commissario
OP
I rewatched LH a couple of years back and enjoyed it, but the opening song has not aged well at all...

I'm managing to avoid the fate stuff today, which means so far out of the deals I've only bought Assassination Classroom, although I sort of regret not getting one of the ATA big bundles (but not much as it would mainly have been for a couple of upgrades).

Associate
Lensman animated series. :)

Only caught like, the first 15-17 episodes from decades ago when it first came out. But can't find it for sale anywhere on other than VHS. Last episode I had access to was the one where they're chasing an old traitor of the Patrol who was related somehow to Chris. Think the next one had some nuclear detonation or massive explosion like experiment from the trailer. Would love to be able to watch that to the end, but from all reports, the estate of the Lensman/Galactic Patrol series of books prevents it from being obtainable again. A shame. :(

Commissario
OP
Hiya All
Been a while since i was here :)
Tried rewatching LH a few years back,it had lost the `sparkle`i first had when watching it for the first time many years ago:(
Still quite like the OP though:)

Good to see you again:)

I'm half afraid at times to rewatch some of the older anime for fear of spoiling my memories of it (LH I enjoyed, but nowhere near as much as when I first watched it in about 02).

Looking back at some of the anime I used to enjoy I'm a little embarrassed:p
I still don't know what made me buy Amazing Nurse Nanako for example, except that it was was probably one of the my first Anime buys in about 2003 and I think someone had told me it was good.

Soldato
Not sure I watched the Lensman anime ... have got all the books though :)

Almost screwed up on the ATA offers and bought the Samurai Flamenco as it was so cheap ... but fortunately I checked as I do actually have it already. I have Gankutsuou, FMP (of course) and 009 already and am not interested int he rest.

Associate
From all accounts, the Lensman animated series was pulled VERY quickly by the estate holders of the Lensman series after it's release, so other than the anime movie, or the small release of episodes 1-6 that was put into a "movie" of the anime series, most people have probably never heard of it, much less be able to source it. I didn't even know the English name of the movie/series for many a decade. In fact, it was only by pure chance that I saw a small snippet of Kim piloting a crashing Britannia (from the stand alone anime movie) that I even knew I could start to search for the name of the series. Took a while and finally found the name Lensman.

The straight standalone movie was self contained but skimmed too much stuff. The series movie had more but obviously wasn't long enough to encompass the entire series (which by all accounts was another couple of episodes after where I stopped) and much more enjoyable I felt.

Don't compare it to the original books and you'll be fine with the series. Think Green Lanterns. But using more direct reference and names/characters. Think that's where the estate holders got annoyed, but I personally like it. :)

Commissario
OP
Some nice deals up on anime-on-line today

Accel World Parts 1 & 2 blu-ray £10
Bakemonogatari & Nisemonogatari Bundle DVD £30, Blu-ray £40
From the New World Parts 1 & 2 Blu-ray £10
God Eater Parts 1 & 2, DVD £15, Blu-ray £20
Is this a Zombie Season 1 & 2 DVD £20
Live Action Bundle with:
  • 252: Sign of Life
  • Blood
  • Death Game
  • Gallants
  • High Kickers
  • Pandemic
  • Rogue Ninja
  • Samurai Zombie
  • Sinking of Japan
  • The Victim
DVD £10

Shakugan no Shana Seasons 1 & 2 DVD £20
Slayers Bundle (season 1-3 & Evolution) DVD £25 - that's a heck of a lot of clasic anime for the price, something nearing 40 hours worth.
The Asterisk War Parts 1 & 2 DVD £15, Blu-ray £20

Some really nice prices there, and a lot I'd be tempted by if I hadn't already seen/got them.

Commissario
OP
All The Anime's offers are good today

The bundle is a great deal
- Eureka Seven Ultimate Edition Blu-ray
- The Tatami Galaxy Ltd Collector's Ed. Blu-ray
- Noragami Aragoto Ltd Collector's Ed. Blu-ray
- Patema Inverted Ltd Collector's Ed. Blu-ray/DVD
- Eden of the East Ltd Collector's Ed. Blu-ray
- Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray
- Sword of the Stranger Blu-ray
- Nerima Daikon Brothers DVD

All for £79, as most of those are good to excellent titles and you're getting the collectors/ultimate editions (I paid £100 or so for the Eureka 7 one alone last year which is a really nice set), Eden of the Eats is great as is Patema Inverted, and Bebop is a classic.
If I hadn't got Eureka 7 I'd buy it just for that and give/sell some of the others (as I've already both that Eden of the East set and the old Manga release, and Bebop, and the UE/kickstarter Pateme set).

Eureka Seven - Blu-ray Ultimate Edition
£59.99

Eden of the East (TV Series/Movies) - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
£14.99

Tatami Galaxy - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
£12.99

Noragami Aragoto - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
£19.99

Cowboy Bebop - Blu-Ray Complete Series
£12.99

Nerima Daikon Brothers - DVD
£4.99

Sword of the Stranger - Blu-ray
£4.99

Commissario
OP
I would love to get more anime figures, but the cost of the good ones, combined with the fact I don't have anywhere to display them that won't get me mocked by family:p and I already have two expensive plastic habits (one being discs, the other being Warhammer/tabletop gaming*).

Today anime-on-line deals are
Drifters Season 1. DVD £15 Blu-ray £20
Sereph of the End, Part 1. DVD £10 Blu-ray £15
Sereph of the End, Part 2. DVD £10 Blu-ray £15
Heroic legend of Arslan Series 1 Part 1 DVD £10 Blu-ray £15
Heroic legend of Arslan Series 1 Part 2 DVD £10 Blu-ray £15

*I realised how much I'd spent on that this year, and almost fainted:p (I've bought 3 of the boxed games, plus a load of models, and the Hellboy kickstarter with expansion)

Back
Top Bottom